Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I really enjoy this site and have learned alot in the few weeks I have been here.

My question is:

Is it possible to start a running poll For where people are from? something for the USA that would show X number of folks in Maryland, New Jersey etc. and maybe one for europe, and other countries/ continents. and have it ba a sticky topic?

This could help develop the community for real time "group rides" or gatherings. Another forum site does something to this effect and has developed strong regional communities with visits and trips/rides that folks from all over the country visit other areas for gatherings.

I am new to this site and dont have a scooter yet soo I hope this does not tick anyone off, Just something I realized as I was looking for folks in my area that ride.

thanks, Joe

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Joe,

In my opinion the poll would have limited usefulness. On any online forum you will have those that join up and then later become inactive for one reason or another so the numbers for a state would be inaccurate. What we do suggest is that you put your location (at least state) in your user profile so any message you post will then have your location listed. In addition we have the 'Rallys and Gatherings' forum where you can post about wanting to meet other riders in your area. If you follow the 'Who are u? Where u from?' forum, you may find new members that have just joined from nearby. Every now and then I look thru the member list (link above) and sort by Joined Date descending order to look for new members in my area (if they put in the state in their profile) that may have not made any posts yet.

One other note, technically it is possible to create a poll with a large number of poll options (like all the states). However, the default limit is 10 and requires reconfiguring the forums to allow more options. You can't change the limit for one poll ... it's a global setting for all polls. So if someone were to create the poll you requested, the administrator (Bryan) would first have to reconfigure the forums to allow for it. Us lowly moderators can't create it. ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply

Bill,

thanks for the info. I am not up on poll stuff for forums so that is good to know about the 10 item limit. It sounds like it would be alot of work foe folks and that would take time away from riding...

I was reading a post about a local dealor that I bought my DR650 from and in it the post mentioned the burgmans are flying off the showroom floor, but that the scooter rider in the area has not seen many around in local riding.

thanks again for the info,

joe

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Stormsteed said:
I belong to a different forum that has an interactive map where when someone joins, they can put a "dot" on the map (in this case, of the United States only).
Anya,

Mind giving us a link? I'd like to see what it looks like, how it works, etc.

Thanks,

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks stormsteed,

It was something I was curious about since I would think in the DC metro area I live there must be lots of riders, I sometimes see one or two go through Rock Creek park on my way home and have mistaken them for sportbikes until we are close to passing eachother.

thanks for the links, joe

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know in the memberlist it can sort by location. However, when I put Thomaston, Georgia as my location it lists me in the T's because of Thomaston. Now if it could sort it by states only and maybe put DC in there some how that may help you know or have an idea of how many riders are in your area. Now this would not be so great for people in other countries that do not have states like we do here. So what do ya do there?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
That's really cool Anya. I hope Bill (or whomever) can replicate something like that for us! Thanks for all you do Bill, Goose, Alwalk, Paul, Norm, et al. Really. -Pete

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chief_O. said:
........So what do ya do there?
I work At Walter Reed Army Medical Hospital. To put it simply, I pull cable. I do more that that but that should paint a fair picture. Some of my co-workers get embarrassed with that question and they go on about being on the network team, or telcom department , hey in my book a sanitation engineer is still a trash man.

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts