Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see another forum here for rider information, so I'll post it here. I'm planning a spring trip on the 650 and plan to avoid all freeways as much as possible. I know the route (not touching any of I-5) from Seattle to San Diego having done it several times in the car. Heading east out of San Diego to Arizona, I'd like to try highway 94 and old highway 80 but they almost touch the Mexican border in spots. Would you consider these roads safe for daytime travel or should I stick to the roads I already know, e.g. highway 78?

I always wanted to explore 94 and old 80 when I lived in San Diego 3 decades ago but never made the time. Sure would be nice to see that area finally. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My San Diego area experience is limited to the 78, 79, Sunrise Hwy area. Check out the North County Cruisers website http://www.northcountycruisers.com/.

They list a dozen or so rides, but in my quick perusal, I didn't notice a Hwy 94 ride. You could send an email to the club and run your plan by them.

What a great trip you're planning!! If you want to get just a bit off the beaten path, check out www.pashnit.com for some of the greatest motorcycle roads in Calif. I use them as my guide for my annual 2000 mile 'scootercades'

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I don't know SD very well, I've ridden it only a couple times. But if you're passing through Los Angeles, let me know. I've got dozens of routes and .gpx files of them. Heck, I'll ride lead with you for a day of you like.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Yes I'll be coming through LA, have friends in Orange County with whom I'm staying. Would love to see your routes especially if they show me how to avoid the freeways (I know, it might be difficult in LA). I'll PM you when I have the plan.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks guys! Yes I'll be coming through LA, have friends in Orange County with whom I'm staying. Would love to see your routes especially if they show me how to avoid the freeways (I know, it might be difficult in LA). I'll PM you when I have the plan.
Lots of ways to avoid freeways in the north, not so many in the south. But I've a coastal route to get you to OC. Just depends on how much time you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts