Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paul - I've searched the forum. I thought I saw a (a while back) some thread that actually provided the measurements of your nifty yellow throttle lock.

I bought an O-ring today but it doesnt seem to do the trick. It rides over the valley between the bar end and the throttle, but doesn't provide enough friction to keep the trottle in position. There are no catapillar part dealers around (handy like) here. I bought a standard black O-ring. Here's the measurements....Width 3/16"...Inside Diameter 1-1/4"...Outside Diameter 1-5/8."

Do you (or anyone) happen to know where I can find the measurements of the one that works!?

Thanks In Advance!
Pete

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Size 24.77mm - Cat part number 8M-5266
Size 27.94mm - Cat part number 8M-4991

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The two Caterpillar O-Rings that Bill listed both work very well. My experience was that the fattest o-ring I could find at Ace Hardware was too skinny. So I got out the phone book, made a few calls, and tracked down a place that sold Cat parts.

I think you can also get them through Jac Vinson.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I saw the PNs for the cat part thru the search. Just thought that maybe the actual measurements were available somewhere. I'll keep diggin (short of stumblin into Foley Alabama...LOTS of tractors and heavy equipement there...)

Hmmmmmm.....Well now - that doesnt seem like such a bad place to stumble into!! :)

Crackin open a beer an gettin ready to clean up the now 80 miles of goof-off brake dust off my rims! Bike is locked for the night!

pedz.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Urrmmm ... Pete? I did post the internal diameter of the cat o-rings.

Size 24.77mm (or .975 inch) - Cat part number 8M-5266
Size 27.94mm (or 1.1 inch) - Cat part number 8M-4991

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bill - I just got back from the ride and don't have handy a conversion thing.
'preciate your additional post.
1.1 inch - hmmm well now, math aint my favorite subject.. :cry:
thought that I'd give whomever the metrics of what I bought and I'd get a bite on why it aint workin rather thatn pull out my slide rule.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pete,
I bought my O ring at Ace hardware and had the same problem. Not enough friction at the back of the grip. I slid the ring over the rubber flange at the front of the grip and it slipped into the space provided perfectly. Going on 1,100 miles with this friction based CC and have never wanted anything else. It also makes throttle control easier since I must physically twist the throttle forward to slow the Burg down.
Good luck,

h

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DARN IT H!!!

I was looking at that possibility but it meant that I'd have ta take off my twist assists (reeeeealy easy) to get that O ring over there....but I was just too **** lazy to do so! I'll go do it now an give it a shot!

Thanks dude!

Now I'm wondering about how wierd will it be to dis-engage....hmmmm... no worries, if it works, I'll learn!

:)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Pete
Any hardware store sells little key rings, the one I use is like a key ring except it's a split ring made to open and close instead of threading on.
Now I can pull the "key" ring to get the "O" ring out of the grove and it's never in the way.
One last thing, the Cat "O" rings are not only thicker I don't think there made of rubber, been using mine for 5 months and many smiles. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The cat part numbers listed above are made of silicon. You pay a bit more to get them but they last a lot longer. The standard rubber o-rings breakdown with continued exposure to sunlight. I've still not found a local dealer that carries the Caterpiller parts. Guess I need to ride up to Nashville. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does anyone have the exact dimensions for the cat 0-ring. I need od and id. I work in hydraulics and unless this part is exclusive to cat, I can probably get them for a few cents. :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Cat part number 8M-5266
  • cross section diameter 5.330mm[/*:m:1qdq7w4g]
  • seal inside diameter 24.770mm[/*:m:1qdq7w4g]
  • dash size 318[/*:m:1qdq7w4g]
Cat part number 8M-4991
  • cross section diameter 5.330mm[/*:m:1qdq7w4g]
  • seal inside diameter 27.940mm[/*:m:1qdq7w4g]
  • dash size 320[/*:m:1qdq7w4g]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts