Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finish cleaning the air filter and the cooling fan filter, boy just getting to the cooling fan filter was a big job.

Was this hard because it was my first time to do it and it will get easier?

How often do you clean your filters???

(requirement is 1800 miles)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Truth is it was hard because it was the first time. I clean as per recommend in the Manuel.
The cooling fan goes a lot faster on a table lift. Also if you grind some of the that big plastic "ear" off , the cover will come off & on with less work.
The air filter is just 4 screws, and if you wire tie the wire on the left screw you can do away with the clip that holds them . I use a spray on the filter, not an oil soak, also it goes better if you have an extra air filter, no stopping to wash dry & oil. hands stay clean while you work, then you wash the filter for next time .
Hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Ruthie

No!

Yes!

1. No, It is a big job because the design (whole thing) does not address servicing times and so by the book there is a great deal of tupperware oragami just to gain access. Of course every time you remove/replace plastic there is always the chance of damaging it too!

2. Yes it does take longer first time around, you can halve the time next time just because you will be familiar and more confident you are doing the right thing. As mentioned above have a spare filter to reduce the time further.

3. Periodicity - stick with the manufacturers recommendation on the cooling fan filter UNTIL you develop confidence that your locale and riding haunts allow you to extend that period. For the engine air filter I would stick with the spec as it is more difficult to see what is going on with this filter and how much actual blockage there is.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Randy and Pete,

Your response was helpful. I have put the 1800 miles on it in my first 5 weeks and the real riding time has not started. Guess I will get good at this.

Do either one of you know of a site to get the fasteners for the body besides the dealer?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was going to start a post for this, but I'll keep it here.

Norm, your information and pictures on how to get to the belts and such was invaluable to me. I printed out the stuff you had from the "how to" area on doing these tasks and they were a BREEZE. It took me a while to get it apart, but putting it back together was a lot faster. Norm, I owe you a pint or two.

Second, I did change the transmission oil, but before that I checked it. None ran out. I tilted the bike to the left...still non running out. I wonder how much the factory put in there. Anyway, I drained it out and after 3000 miles it was looking pretty grey. I am glad I changed it. OH, and Suzuki NEVER has officially informed me that the trans on my K4 takes 10W40, but I knew that already so all is well. I used the same synthetic that I used in the engine.

I used a small "oil pump" from the auto parts store to fill the trans back up and then let it run out of the top hole until it didn't run anymore.

The Air Filter on the belt looked pretty good. I could let it go probably another couple thousand with no problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts