Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading this forum, it appears that obtaining ANY tires for the Burgman is tough enough. :? .. I was wondering if there are tires with a more aggressive tread than the OEM Bridgestones? I commute 120 miles a day on my AN400 over every type of road from gravel country lane to the NYS Thruway at speeds of 75 mph+, to city streets... I am surprised at what appears to me to be the wimpy tread on the tires. The single squiggle on the front tire, and the hash marks on the rear just somehow seem to my mind to be inadequate for best traction.. .. Not that I'm questioning the engineers who designed these tires, just wondering if there might be "better" ones? Am I mistaken in questioning the tread design on the burgies tires?

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Funnily enough, you get the best traction (on tarmac) without any squiggles or tread. :wink:

The tread is for pumping water so the rubber stays in contact with the road in the rain.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Diane,

I may be mistaken but think only tires for the 650 are in short supply. The local motorcycle shop said he wouldn't have a problem locating replacement tiress for the 400. Guess all those 650 riders are touring a bunch and burning up the supply of replacements. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It seems tires for the 400 are in short supply also, everyone says they can get them until they have your money then it's "they are backordered would you like to wait or cancel".
I did find a front tire, rear will be in end of this month (I hope).

bikinbiddy,
NormanB is right, ever notice the high speed racers ? there tires are slicks (no tread) . 8)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Think of professional race cars. When the track is dry, they have perfectly slick tires. Smoooooth. When it begins to rain, they put on tires with little grooves on them.

Now, as for what tread would work well for gravel. Sounds like knobby. But then I don't think that would work to well for a scooter traveling +70 down a highway.

Guess it depends on where you live. Tires with less "squigglies" would work real well in sw USA. For me in rain-heaven nw USA, I am thinking of tires with a few more "squigglies". Brian? DanCote? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Randy,

What tire manufacturer did you order? I'll probably call around and see what's in stock a few places today or tommorow. I've only got 2k on mine so far but don't want to get into a bind when I do need them. Based on Paul's experience with the 650, I might try out the Pirelli tires on the 400.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
billmeek wrote
What tire manufacturer did you order
I decided to try the Pirelli also, the hoop's are fine but I want to see if there is any difference in ride.
I got the sport touring tire - GTS 23/24 .ordered from Azmotorsports, front tire should be in tomorrow

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...For me in rain-heaven nw USA, I am thinking of tires with a few more "squigglies". Brian?...Any thoughts?
Yeah; I have a '98 Ford Ranger 4X4 with All-Season Goodyears for use in the rain. :p

I watch the Weather Channel religiously, and when the Doppler shows green dots in the area the bike stays under cover.

However, since I may get caught by surprise someday, I am going to look closely at the Pirellis. I haven't actually seen one yet, but I think they have a more aggressive tread design from what I've heard.

Pauljo?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian,

The Pirellis definitely improve the ride - and they handle better on dry road. The tread is more aggressive for dry road use - more rubber on the road - less grooves cut into the tire. They may not be a better rain tire for that very reason, although the grooving that they do have may be sufficient. I can't really comment on that, because I haven't ridden in more than a light shower with them yet. Like yourself, I don't seek out rain rides these days. But sooner or later....

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Brian said:
...I am going to look closely at the Pirellis. I haven't actually seen one yet, but I think they have a more aggressive tread design from what I've heard.
Well, I just read a post in the 650 forum that says the Pirellis for the 650 have been pulled from the market. Did some Web browsing, and it seems that they don't meet some Federal standard, and so are no longer available. I still have plenty of tread on mine, but will need to order something soon just so I don't run out of tread before I can get a replacement.

I'll be searching the Web regularly for a while, in hopes of catching something as soon as it hits the streets.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
Well, I just read a post in the 650 forum that says the Pirellis for the 650 have been pulled from the market. Did some Web browsing, and it seems that they don't meet some Federal standard, and so are no longer available. I still have plenty of tread on mine, but will need to order something soon just so I don't run out of tread before I can get a replacement.
That has not been confirmed yet. There are other posts saying that dealers are still getting - and shipping - the tires. My dealer checked with his distributor on my backordered Pirelli rear tire yesterday and was told "mid-August". If you found a link that actually confirms the rumor - please share it with us.

If there IS a compliance problem, there is still the possible option of getting the Pirelli through Canada - and longer term, the possibility that Pirelli will resolve the issue.

What we really need is for another tire manufacturer or two to come out with a tire for us. I hate to see Bridgestone owning the show. After feeling how much better my AN650 rides with Pirelli radials front & rear, I do not want to go back to the Bridgestones - ever.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...If you found a link that actually confirms the rumor - please share it with us....
Can't confirm that there's a compliance problem, buyt I can say for sure that the AN250 and AN400 are listed on Pirelli's Web site, but the AN650 isn't; and I'm pretty sure it used to be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts