Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to order a Throttle Rocker since I had seen several post on here recommending it. However, when I went to one website they had several reviews of the product and some said that the rocker didn't work well with small grips, that you needed foam grips to keep the unit from just spinning around on the grip. Any opinions from you "rocker" users?

Also, do you have an online site that you recommend ordering from?

Thanks,
Vanzo

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
TRUE, I did have to put rubber around the grip, just where the strap goes, to keep it from spinning too easily. I have had one over a year, and do use it regularly. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy another one.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have em on my Burg, stock grips, and no problemo. Works great. occaisionaly I have to adjust them a bit from SLIGHT slipage...

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I too installed a throttle rocker on my stock grips. For the most part, it works okay, but I've had a lot less luck than others, sometimes having to adjust it quite frequently. )Finding the right place to put it has been problematic also.

In my case, I bought it locally at one of the shops in Pelham... $9.95 + tax.

Joe

·
Registered
806 Posts
Actually, i went with something a bit different. It's called a "Throttle-boss." It's cheaper and made of rubber, which allows it to stretch to the proper diameter. It also was CHEAP at less than 10 bucks. I like it becaue it's very easily removable and moves between bikes regardless of handlbar size.

http://www.compacc.com/moreinfo.cfm?Pro ... N=82048316

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a throttle rocker on stock grips (AN650) and, like JohnnyDeath, had to adjust it a little every now and then. No biggee. This winter I replaced the stock grips with Hot Grips. Again, I need to adjust them a little every now and then -- still no biggee.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've been meaning to get a throttle boss. I wasn't overly impressed with the rocker. Had to adjust it quite a bit. Mine came with a little rubber ring - large rubberband that I put under it, over the grip. It helped, but it still slid around too much for my liking.

Be careful when first using this, esp. in town. I was stopped behind a pickup (too close actually) and forgot I had the rocker on- bumped it with my wrist and almost put my burgy into the rear bumper of the pickup.

I tried using it on a long highway trip, and soon gave up due to having to adjust it a lot. Been meaning to give it another try though, as I do like how it works.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My throttle rocker came off about thirty sconds after Bill Meek kindly gave me a Caterpillar O-ring/improvised throttle lock, and has never gone back on. With any luck, it never will. I consider the rocker to be marginally better than the original twist-grip, but the O-ring is absolutely the cat's behind.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Agreed. My throttle boss isn't used anymore, not since the o ring. I leave the o ring on all the time as I am used to rolling off the throttle manually. See, my first two bikes were old and the throttles on them stuck even without an o ring or rocker or cruise or whatever. They were instead held open by gunk and rust.

:)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have said it before elsewhere, but without a doubt, the best thing I ever did for my hands on the Burgman was to toss out the stock grips and install the Kuryakyn ISO Grips with the ISO Throttle Boss. I can ride all day and my hands don't get numb like they used to. They are so comfortable and I get lots of comments about their good looks.

Well worth the price! 8)

http://www.kuryakyn.com/category.asp?bn=metric&cn=Grips

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have to agree with bechtoea. I have a throttleboss on my 05 650 and have yet to have it slip, even in the rain. I'm sure when I put fatter grips on I'll just keep it on, expecting it to fit even snugger.

Bill

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
I installed a "Wrist Rest" on my foam grips, used it for one ride and took it off. It wouldn't stay put on the foam and was always in my way when riding fairly agressively on a winding road. At least it was cheap (under $10). I found that a shift-shaft oil seal from a BMW airhead 5-speed is perfect to hold the throttle wherever I put it (rather than the Caterpillar O-ring). I just happened to have one in my spare parts box.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I tried using Alburg's Throttle Rocker for a couple of weeks, but found that it got in the way when riding in the city. I had to swing it around into the down position to keep my hand from accidently hitting it and causing the bike to lunge forward. Scared the willies out me a couple of times - good thing my hand was covering the rear brake.

The Kuryakyn ISO grips are not only fatter, but also wider, therefore my hand never lands on the ISO Throttle Boss unless I move it over to the right purposely. Much safer!

I also find that I don't really have the need for an 'O ring' now that my hand is comfortable. Besides, you are constantly having to adjust the throttle on the highway anyways. However, a factory-installed electronic cruise control like on the BMW's would be very nice! 8)

Cheers.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Yep, that's the one upgrade that would really tempt me to trade the old 650 off. I don't think Suzuki have a cruise control on any of their models. I like the throttle staying where I put it as that's what I've been used to on all my BMWs and Harleys. I'm quite used to rolling it on and off.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
That Kuryakyn setup does look pretty slick. I do have to be careful about nudging my Cramp Buster accidentally at low speeds. I also find that I still need the O-ring throttle lock ocassionally on longer rides (over 200 miles or so). Anything less than that, the Cramp Buster works pretty well. I also like that the Cramp Buster does not use the velcro attachment system that Throttle Rocker changed to. Much easier to adjust on the fly. Basically the Cramp Buster is a "pre-velcro" Throttle Rocker clone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts