Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone i have a question about a scooters price.At the present time iam looking for a burgman 400.A local dealer has one thats a 2003 with 25,000 miles on it they want 3500 but say they are open to negotiate.What would be an offer i should make to them?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
A 2006 400 in excellent condition should run $3100 retail according to KBB. The price your looking at for a 2003 is bit steep.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
wayneman said:
+1, 2007 and up without a doubt. Don't waste your $$ on anything under 2007.
I'll have to disagree with that, nothing wrong with the 03-06 models. If the bike has been well maintained it can provide plenty of good service. The price they are asking is high though. KBB or NADA prices vary by area so go to one of those web sites and plug in you zip code. Start your bidding with what those show to be retail in your area.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Buffalo said:
wayneman said:
I'll have to disagree with that, nothing wrong with the 03-06 models. If the bike has been well maintained it can provide plenty of good service. The price they are asking is high though. KBB or NADA prices vary by area so go to one of those web sites and plug in you zip code. Start your bidding with what those show to be retail in your area.
Craig,
I guess we agree to diagree. I owned a 2007, but only after test riding many 2003-2006 models.
I opted for the new 2007 because of the changes and the overall look and ride. I actually would have prefered a Red 2008
but it wasn't worth the extra $1000 over a 2007 left over price. Also a 2007 is soon to be 6yrs old a 2003 soon to be 10yrs old.
In this case IMHO newer would be better for the $$. There asking price is ridiculous.
I sold my 2007 in 2009 with 10,000miles on it for $3200. There are plenty of good used 2007 and up in the $3000 price range.
Why spend that for a 2003.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
All a matter of taste. I own an 06 but I put several hundred miles of seat time on Robin's 08 400 and couldn't see enough difference in them to make me prefer one over the other.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
justdon said:
Hello everyone i have a question about a scooters price.At the present time iam looking for a burgman 400.A local dealer has one thats a 2003 with 25,000 miles on it they want 3500 but say they are open to negotiate.What would be an offer i should make to them?
I bought my 2004 with 5k miles on it for $3,500.00 five years ago...

I wouldn't pay more than $1.5-2.5k for it...

depending on where you are located, prices may vary... there lots of 05+ models around these parts with the same mileage that are going for $3-4k.

Also keep in mind that the 03/04 models do have some inherent risk issues, poor wheel bearings, weaker CVT design, weak center stand etc...

I would shop around for an 05+ within the same price range...

good luck...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I sold my '05 400 with 18,000 miles in early 2011 for $2400. It was in excellent shape and had the 15K major service. In over 6 weeks on Craigslist, I only had 4 or 5 inquires, and only two guys came to look at it (and I'm in the Los Angeles market area). There are so many factors that effect price - quality of the bike, supply/demand, time of year, state of the local economy, dealer vs. private party, price of gas, weather. . . $3500 for that '03 seems outragously high - I wouldn't go above $2K (and only if the dealer threw in some kind of limited warrantee (30 to 90 days).

My 05 was a great bike, my 08 is better. I think the improvements in the 07 model year made a noticible difference. Budget allowing, I'd look for an 07+ If $3500 is the top of your range - do yourself a favor and keep shopping around - something much better will come up.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
As Buffalo wrote, they are both good bikes. But I wouldn't pay that much for one.

The bike you're looking at, has a fair amount of miles on it. The price they are asking is very close to what you'd expect to pay for a 2007-2009 400. I'd do some looking with SearchTempest to see what else is available. Many people buy their bikes on a whim, then ride only enough to break them in before leaving them in the garage.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iam not in a hurry.My 2006 linhai is holding up pretty good for a chinese bike.And i do appreciate everyone's advice..Because i had no idea what one should go for in my area..But i will be happy when i find one because the 400 is one of my dream scooters..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Only a matter of perspective here, this spring past, I sold an 06 650 very nicely equipped with 56,000 miles on it for 2,100 bucks. This was in part because we were on our way to Texas, and Arizona during bike selling Prime Time here in Mich. Also because Insurance was coming up for renewal and plates as well. I'd suggest that you pitch a number like 1,800 at them, and remind them it's snowmobile season or off season. The worst that can happen is they say no, and watch you and 1,800 go out the door, perhaps to spend it elsewhere, while they move it around and dust it off all winter, Don't Ya Know!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
wayneman said:
osbornk said:
NADA retail is $2,095 ( http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2 ... -Equipment). I recently paid $3,200 for 2008 with 9,400 miles on it. There were a lot of improvements in the 2007 and newer 400s. I would look for a newer one.
I'm with Craig on this one being a proud owner of a 2005 400. :thumbup:
Better gas mileage and lower seat height made all the difference in the world to me and I shopped both models hard.
I paid $2500 on Craigslist for mine with 2700 miles on it and now I have almost hit 20,000 smiles! :D

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Buffalo said:
wayneman said:
+another 1

Even a bike not well maintained (once it's fixed)!
I paid $2,500 for my 06 400s two years ago with 12,000, and shortly after had to spend $700 in having the engine rebuilt. Since then she's given sterling service, is great fun to ride, and gets much better economy than my 650E. $130 for two new tires (fitted), and regularly runs along at highway speeds, what's not to love!!!
Sure, she burns some oil, but that's easily managable. Now just about 16,000, so I'll have to think about valves soon. But overall, I'm very happy with my 400 purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Buffalo said:
wayneman said:
+1

·
Registered
85 Posts
i bought my 07 400 earlier this summer for 2300 with 4200 miles on it off craigslist. although i got a smokin deal, most other burgs around here were going around 3100 and up for 2007 or newer...i doubt that dealer will sell you the bike as low as you could buy it elsewhere ,like off craigslist. the dealer will likely just wait to sell it to some poor unknowing person, then they will come on here and learn the term "buyers remorse" all for the wrong reasons !its very difficult getting past a royal screwing when paying an exorbitant price on and old worn bike.

sounds like your patient,so just have your cash ready and keep searching and something will pop up, and youll be ready to pounce on a great deal !

·
Registered
842 Posts
nitrogary said:
i bought my 07 400 earlier this summer for 2300 with 4200 miles on it off craigslist. although i got a smokin deal, most other burgs around here were going around 3100 and up for 2007 or newer...i doubt that dealer will sell you the bike as low as you could buy it elsewhere ,like off craigslist. the dealer will likely just wait to sell it to some poor unknowing person, then they will come on here and learn the term "buyers remorse" all for the wrong reasons !its very difficult getting past a royal screwing when paying an exorbitant price on and old worn bike.

sounds like your patient,so just have your cash ready and keep searching and something will pop up, and youll be ready to pounce on a great deal !
+1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Forgive me for chiming in:

For what it's worth: I bought a 2006 650 the other month with I think 1,200 miles on it, and in very good condition.

The dealership in Tracy, California sold it to me for $4,900. Not sure if that is a good price or not, but I really wanted it! :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts