Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Question about oil change

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  allwalk 
#1 ·
The service man showed me how to change the oil...one screw, pop the cover off and the oil filter underneath.....it looked very accesable. Is it that easy to get the filter off? Do you use the same devise to unscrew the oil filter as you would a car oil filter? We did not talk about the Trans. fluid ....is it as easy?

I remember reading a while back....before I bought my 650 that suzuki
had a kit to stop the dieseling.....not sure if I'll ever consider it but is that
a covered item(FREE) has anyone had it done and how much if not covered.

#3 ·
pauljo said:
I had the dieseling fix done recently. It didn't cost anything. There is still some noise though. I'm not sure I would bother with it if I had it to do over again.
How long did they have your bike in the shop to repair? I guess my consern is if a part is viberating or ratteling for years...can't it wear
down and break?

#4 ·
Changing the oil is easy, and yes, you can use the appropriate sized filter removal tool to get the oil filter off. But don't use it to install the new filter. Just screw it in by hand and tighten it as much as you can - by hand. If you use a filter wrench to tighten it you'll have a hell of a time getting it off.

I put in, at first, 3 quarts of oil. Started it up, let it run for a bit until the oil warmed, then shut it off and waited five minutes before checking the level in the sight glass. The oil lelvel was just slighty past the middle point between the low mark and the high mark. So I added a bit, repeated the process, until I got it just at the high mark.

I haven't done the tranny or final drive yet, so I can't speak with any experience about those. Previous owner had the 600 mile service done, during which those fluids are drained and replenished. I verified this with the dealer where he purchased it. As I've only got 2,000 miles on mine, I'll wait a while.

#6 ·
I got the oil filter removal tool from Suzuki as the filter is a smaller diameter and I couldnt find one at any of the major store. It only cost like $8 CDN anyways. I have another thread related to this topic with picshttp://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=959. Give it a read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.