Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, all. I bought my black Burgman 400 new in 2008 (and it's a 2008 model). I rode it for a couple years until 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' decided she didn't want me to take the risk of riding any more. There are some fights worth fighting, but this wasn't one...so the 400 has been parked in my garage since the summer of 2010. No provisions were made to prep it for long-term storage.

It's just taking up space, and it's obvious that I'll never ride it again...so I want to sell it. This leads me to the following questions:

1. What should I do to get it ready for sale? Battery is dead...but other than replacing it, is there anything I should do prior to attempting to start it?

2. What is a reasonable asking price (in Georgia - north metro Atlanta)? It's very low mileage (less than 3K miles, if I recall), great shape (dropped it in the driveway first day - upright since then), and some extras (Givi windscreen, tail bag, luggage hooks, etc.).

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Curt

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good afternoon, all. I bought my black Burgman 400 new in 2008 (and it's a 2008 model). I rode it for a couple years until 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' decided she didn't want me to take the risk of riding any more. There are some fights worth fighting, but this wasn't one...so the 400 has been parked in my garage since the summer of 2010. No provisions were made to prep it for long-term storage.

It's just taking up space, and it's obvious that I'll never ride it again...so I want to sell it. This leads me to the following questions:

1. What should I do to get it ready for sale? Battery is dead...but other than replacing it, is there anything I should do prior to attempting to start it?

2. What is a reasonable asking price (in Georgia - north metro Atlanta)? It's very low mileage (less than 3K miles, if I recall), great shape (dropped it in the driveway first day - upright since then), and some extras (Givi windscreen, tail bag, luggage hooks, etc.).

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Curt
Hey Curt......have you thought of getting a new battery, giving the scoot a full service,......and getting rid of SWMBO instead ?;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Next time he's sick, I'm sure the Burg will bring him chicken soup. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would put a new battery on check the oil fill it with fresh fuel as much as you can and give it a good shake to mix it up, take the plug out squirt a bit of wd40 or some such down the plug hole, put the plug back in the lead and jam it against the engine away from the plug hole, then spin the engine on the starter a few times to pump oil round, stick the plug back in and hopefully start it, rune till hot then change the oil.
It would be better to drain the fuel but it can be a right pain to get out unless you have some sort of gadget.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Probably not applicable in your case, but I always told my girlfriends upfront and this includes my, now, wife... "The bikes were here when you got here and they'll be here when you leave." Lol.

Ya gotta be blunt and leave no wiggle room on this subject for any of you younger guys out there, because it will come back to haunt you if you do.

Sorry for your situation, Crow. Must be tough.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Probably not applicable in your case, but I always told my girlfriends upfront and this includes my, now, wife... "The bikes were here when you got here and they'll be here when you leave." Lol.

Ya gotta be blunt and leave no wiggle room on this subject for any of you younger guys out there, because it will come back to haunt you if you do.

Sorry for your situation, Crow. Must be tough.
I've been through this several times in the past 30 years. "I don't like your Harley" she said. To which I would reply "you don't have to ride on it - I've been riding for xx years and don't plan on getting rid of it". I think I've been through more GF's than motorcycles in my life! I still have a couple of two-wheelers. And currently one GF - who does not live with me - and does not insist I sell 'that thing'. I think she 'gets it'.

It isn't enough to let a woman know up front that if the statement from them is ever "its me or the bike" it'll be the bike. If the woman doesn't like the bike today she sure isn't going to like it tomorrow. And women have a natural ability to ignore what they don't like in a man in order to get the man - they file the 'I don't like' stuff away for another time. Women see a man as a project - perfectly willing to try to change him into her 'ideal' man. Men find a woman and don't want to change a thing - especially the hair! Whats up with those two conflicting approaches to relationships?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hey Curt......have you thought of getting a new battery, giving the scoot a full service,......and getting rid of SWMBO instead ?;)

Get it running again. Clean it up. They sell stuff on Amazon for getting old Fuel to work again. Change the oil and the plug. If it looks pretty good then I expect $3500-$3800 is likely in your area if you want a quick sale.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I would also check the tires, they may need to be replaced , also check no visitors in the air filter, all sorts of stories on here about that. Not suggesting you pay to get them replaced, but would hate to have a new owner have a blow out, just down the street. Look for cracks.

I think the new owner would be advised to make all the necessary fluids etc, if I was looking with this info - I would be looking to offer somewhere south of 3k but it doesnt sound like you are in a rush to sell it, so could go with the 3-3.5k , right now is a horrible time to sell.

Good luck

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been through this several times in the past 30 years. "I don't like your Harley" she said. To which I would reply "you don't have to ride on it - I've been riding for xx years and don't plan on getting rid of it". I think I've been through more GF's than motorcycles in my life! I still have a couple of two-wheelers. And currently one GF - who does not live with me - and does not insist I sell 'that thing'. I think she 'gets it'.

It isn't enough to let a woman know up front that if the statement from them is ever "its me or the bike" it'll be the bike. If the woman doesn't like the bike today she sure isn't going to like it tomorrow. And women have a natural ability to ignore what they don't like in a man in order to get the man - they file the 'I don't like' stuff away for another time. Women see a man as a project - perfectly willing to try to change him into her 'ideal' man. Men find a woman and don't want to change a thing - especially the hair! Whats up with those two conflicting approaches to relationships?

+1 knucklehead.....I only meant my comment to Curt in a 'fun' way you understand.......but you see, many, many years ago, I met a very beautiful young lady at a dance club.

Our date was going just fine until I told her that I was 'a biker', and I enjoyed travel, and holidays.

Her attitude changed instantly, and she said.....'I HATE MOTORBIKES....I'M AFRAID ITS ME OR THE BIKE' !!!

Well where I come from,... if you had a 650cc BSA or Triumph, back in the day, you had no trouble at all getting girlfriends to ride with you, so guess what........50yrs later, I'm happily married, and I'm STILL riding my bikes/scoots !!

Life's too short !!!!
:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I solved the wife problem by finding a wife who rides bikes and loves them as much as I do. Her first husband sold her bike and told her she cant ride again so the shoe was on the other foot for her. Now that she has found her prince charming (me) life is good.AS for the bike question ALL OF THE ABOVE will fix the problem

·
Registered
110 Posts
Next time he's sick, I'm sure the Burg will bring him chicken soup. :rolleyes:
I was sick recently and my Burg took me to the Dr., brought me home, tucked me in bed, brought me chicken soup...and stayed by my side! Very loyal indeed. Who could ask for more?! :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Yeah, ditching the wife isn't an option. :)

Part of the deal in stopping riding on two wheels was that I could get any car (within reason, of course) that I wanted...so I'm not terribly disappointed...though I *do* miss the scooter at times. The prices that some of you suggest might be possible to get are a bit higher than I suspected I could get, which is encouraging. I'll likely hold on to it until spring riding season to maximize selling price, though I'd be willing to take a lower as-is price if someone were to offer.

Thanks again, guys - much appreciated. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts