Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Burgman 400 has been out for a few years. I was wandering about the quality and reliability of this machine. Since I will not be doing the maintenance myself because of time constraints and lack of knowledge, has there been a lot of mechanical problems associated with this machine? Do most owners get an extended warranty?

scootervan

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you are asking about the niggling little mechanical thing that seems to go out on all of them, well, there is none. We have had the odd mechanical failure here and there, but nothing that screams "trend." Service it as per the owners manual, keep tires on it, and she'll treat you right.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you do enough 'net research, you'll find lots of folks complaining about the exhaust and the carb. However, if you look closer still, you will find that these complaints are all regarding pre-2003 models, when Suzuki did a major upgrade to fix these issues. Also, you will note that all the compalints pretty much come exclusively from Europe, since US sales began with the improved 2003 model year.

While the bike itself seems very solid (the only repetitive issue I've seen is with blowing headlights, and seems to be related to people who use high beams in daylight) the Suzuki warranty people downright suck. We've had multiple postings here about this; try searching "warranty" and "extended warranty". Someone did a little research and discovered that both Suzuki _and_ Yamaha (the other 400 maker) are rated "F" on warranty issues by the Better Business Bureau.

Given the excellent reputation of the engineering, and the crappy reputation of the warranty people, I'd pass on buying an extension. That's what I did.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
scootervan wrote (snipped)
I know that the Burgman 400 has been out for a few years. I was wandering about the quality and reliability of this machine.
So far it would seem no better or worse then any other bike.
I think if asked, most owners would buy it again.
And that about tells the story :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
All my problems with a 400 from july 2000:
*2 blown high beam filaments
*brakes pads (2 pairs)
*tires (I got tired of counting them)
*gas (too much, it feels like there is a hole in the tank; that is the only bad point of the 400)
*a broken speedometer sensor in the front wheel (but I suspect I am the culprit here)
*a little clicking noise close to the rear wheel from time to time, but it's been there for so long it sounds almost natural now...

I use and abuse it, and I did not manage to break it yet. So it's gotta be good stuff! (5 years old, about 35000 kms, city-mountain-highway).

·
Registered
806 Posts
Just turned over 8000 miles in less than one year.

Once corner of the "S" emblem on the front has come "unstuck" from the bike. I make note of it because it's the only problem I have had with the bike.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Lapine Rider said:
While the bike itself seems very solid (the only repetitive issue I've seen is with blowing headlights, and seems to be related to people who use high beams in daylight).
Just for the record. I do use my high beams in daylight, but they burned out at night, late night and the temp was not hot. In fact it was about 65 degrees. It happened this way twice so I don't think that using high beams in daylight has anything to do with them burning out. I think it must have something to do with the bulbs themselfes (much more expensive so they should work better right) wrong! I think that so far the guys who have replaced theirs with H4's have not had any further problem.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've put almost 6K miles on my 400 since the first week of May (almost 7K miles total on a 2003 AN400K3). I replaced the rear tire last month and changed oil filter and o-rings, replaced air filter (keeping older one as a spare) and that's the extent of my maintenance for it. It had it's 600 mile service before i got it. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts