Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that it is very hard to place the cvt cover back on. Before I am able to get the threads of the 10 bolts to bite, I have to use a hammer to bang and force the cvt close enough for the bolt threads to get a "bite".

Therafter no problems, I just evenly tighten all 10 bolts more or less simutaneously and it's done. Is this normal? I kind of hate using a hammer. I notice in Mitch's video that the bearing actually sits inside the cvt cover, as mine stay on the shaft where the clutch bell is.

Any advice anyone?

:?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When the bearing stays on the shaft it bends 2 little removable tabs that hold in
in to the outer case, the usual thing is to pull the bearing off the shaft remove these
tabs refit the bearing in the outer case replace the tabs after straightening them,
maybe it was these tabs making it difficult to replace.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think----bearing sticks on shaft.....get it off---throw away---buy new bearing and tabs----then slide everything together, no hammer necessary. My outer bearing had failed at 20,000 miles while still under warranty, so I didn't have to worry about paying---at same time new belt went on, I paid belt as wear item, Suzuki took care of labor as bike was already apart.

Over all evaluation as high mileage rider----poor/bad design period. Expensive in 20,000-40,000 miles annual use. I am at 25,000 miles now and expect this repair/belt to go again at 40,000.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Mine did that and bent the tabs so bad they weren't usable. I just removed the tabs left the bearing on the shaft. Each time I replace my cover I need to use my rubber hammer to get it back in place. Mine has been off an on 5 or 6 times so don't worry about it. Just make sure you remove the tabs & don't use a metal hammer. :wink:

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Well, the 2007 Models Tolerances were tight , The tabs just needs to be shaved down, with sand paper Including the Bearing Shaft, it sticks the most, the Tolerances are way off.

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
YEs it is tricky to reinstall, try installing some of the longer bolts first, I think 4 are sufficient to "set" the cover. Tighten a little at a time keep it even. Oil the outside rim of the bearing. It will pop on. A little patience here though.
I haven't been able to find proper studs to replace all the bolts yet. I think that is the ultimate answer. Will avoid threading steel bolts into aluminum over and over and over...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts