Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a heavy 650 Bergman, is it best to put one foot down when coming to a stop or two feet, when it comes to a stop I sometimes find it hard to balance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I always put 2 feet down no matter what bike i owned...However, on the 400 i can't flat foot it due to seat height.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Both my feet go down at the same time. You don't have a foot operated brake or gear shift to worry about so there is no real reason to only put one foot down.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yup both feet, front wheel straight and on anything remotely canted I look down as well.
Those cut outs on the floor boards make it easy....you don't want that 650 off vertical much.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I prefer no feet down... I've gotten the 400 and working on the 650 to balance for very short periods of time at stop signs without putting my feet down. I use to do it on my bicycle for entire stop lights without moving a MM. MCs are a lot tougher, but I'm gettin' there.

But when I eventually have to put my feet down, its both.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had to think about this one. One foot down for me no matter what I am riding. Sometimes I will stretch when waiting for a light to change and then I have both boots on the ground but other than that it's one at a time. Works like a tripod for me.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Riding two up I put down both feet. Riding by myself some times one other times two. If only one it's the right. Fell from a ladder 35+ years ago & broke that foot. Has only hurt for 35+ years so I use my right foot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I, like Liamjs, don't like to put my feet down for a stop and go, but I find myself weaving when taking off and feeling/looking like a rookie, so I guess I'll do the " both feet down" more often.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've gotten the 400 and working on the 650 to balance for very short periods of time at stop signs without putting my feet down.
I rarely ever have to actually put a foot down - all about timing and distance judging but sometimes at blind stopsigns you just have to.

It's those country roads with odd cambers, rolly bits of gravel that can bite.

I've just disciplined myself to stop first...then look for traffic when it's a blind corner.
Trying to do both at once on the lardy is a recipe for a tip over.

Standard stop sign with good viz - I'll generally do a rolling stop without touching down.
The big Burgman is okay for slow balance as long as it's fairly straight and yeah practice helps....I challenge myself to get home without a foot down.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
but I find myself weaving when taking off and feeling/looking like a rookie,
check your front tire pressure if weaving on slow .....

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
2 feet.

Like MacDoc, I'm trying to wean myself off rolling stops. It's really just an expectation that all is clear and roll-on is a forgone conclusion. I've had to stop too many times after I've initiated my turn. Not a problem on the 400. No room for error on the 650.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You can also give a touch of throttle and rear brake. This gets the engine gyro forces going.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay, I will have to "Put my foot down" on this one. Always, always, always... Both for me. Or one if I run out of "always's". (Like a stop and go cause the light just turned green) .. Or if you are real good "none".. However If a guy says none.. You can spot his bike in a crowd.. It has all the scratches and duct tape on it... Not that mine is perfect either, but not from dumping it because I didn't put my foot (feet) down. More like curb rubs and garage dings.

Enough nonsense... Use your best judgement. If both feet can reach the ground and you are asking this question, you are probably a beginning rider.. And you might be advised to use both in this case. Naturally if both will not reach the pavement scooch your butt left or right, tweak your cheeks and try to get one tippy toe in contact with the pavement. No fair using the curb.. Sometimes they will not be there. If your feel (foot) cannot reach the ground, perhaps a smaller scooter is what you need.

The above answers are probably not what you are looking for, but the important thing is that you stop at intersections and look both ways while in full control of your scooter. If you cannot balance your scooter, then by all means stop it and let it fall. Better that than to suffer the consequences.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I've had to stop too many times after I've initiated my turn. Not a problem on the 400. No room for error on the 650.
Yup nothing worse than being on a slanted slope - front wheel turned and having to come to a jarring stop. Recipe for a tip over.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Depends on road conditions (camber, surface, wet or dry, etc) Normally I use one, but two when necessary, or if I'm going to be stopped for more than a few seconds (long light, etc.)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have hip problems and I usually only put my left foot down. That said I just today got rid of my Morphous because I couldn't put both feet down without pain. The Morphous sits low but it's wide. I feel you should always be able to put both feet down in case it's windy. I really wanted to keep the Morphous for around town but I'm just not comfortable if I can't put both feet down. I replaced it with another Silverwing because it is the best fit for me.

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
I am a both off the steps at the same time. I have always done it even with a rear foot brake bike, just held the front break on.

Now this below will get you a ticket form a LEO in most states. Here they want to see a foot touch, pause and then go. Can I get away with it, sure, sometimes, but I know my luck and its not worth the "Too fast for conditions and failure to stop" ticket. Do so at your own risk. I do it in the HOV lane for about 2 seconds and then I must put my feet down

I prefer no feet down... I've gotten the 400 and working on the 650 to balance for very short periods of time at stop signs without putting my feet down. I use to do it on my bicycle for entire stop lights without moving a MM. MCs are a lot tougher, but I'm gettin' there.

But when I eventually have to put my feet down, its both.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I come to a complete stop before looking both ways for for traffic. Then look left again for traffic before entering roadway. Some time put one foot down, some time both. A rolling stop in North Carolina can get you a ticket for failure to stop for a stop sign. A ridding friend got one exiting an Interstate highway that had a stop sign. He slowed down, but did not stop.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I put my left foot down because I used the right foot for the brake for 40+ years and still do on my motorcycle. I guess two feet down is more the normal for newbies (under 20 years riding).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts