Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought Givi. Installed Givi. Love Givi. :D

Lost some of the cool aesthetics due to the Givi windscreen being so much taller and wider than the screen my 400 came with. Also, the different aerodynamic qualities of the Givi create some backpressure and thereby increase the amount of noise at the lower end of the hearing spectrum; my eardrums were more tired at the end of today's ride, if you know what I mean. And I suppose I'll have given up some miles-per-gallon.

However, riding is now soooo much more comfortable around my head that I'm still delighted with the modification. No more ducking down to avoid gusts! No more feeling like my helmet's going to be sucked off at speeds over 45 MPH!

It was U.S. $120 extremely well spent. If it helped lil' ol' me, at just 5-feet 7-inches tall, it would certainly help you taller riders out there.

--Chris

P.S. I opted for the Givi, rather than the Laminar Lip, because the Givi also gives me some wind protection for my hands. But I bet that the Lip would be a big help, too.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Chris:
I ordered the Givi for my 400 last week, should be here in 2 weeks. :(
did you install it yourself ? and I would like to know how much you lose in MPG"s as soon as you find out, I think the trade off will be worth it.
As for the backpressure I had that problem on another bike, I cut a small vent in the shield and it worked, I will most likely try it again if I have
the problem.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Randy. Yes, hubby and I installed the screen ourselves, using info we obtained here at the Forum. Here's a link to the topic:
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=619
It's not that difficult to do; took about half an hour. If you can get someone to provide an extra pair of hands when you do the install, you'll find it very helpful.

My biggest piece advice is to be aware that the mounting screws & rubber grommets that you will remove from the windshield come in TWO DIFFERENT LENGTHS. This is not immediately obvious if you're not paying close attention (which we weren't at first.)

Carefully match the long screws with the long grommets when mounting your new Givi, or the mismatched screws/grommet combinations won't "bite" properly and the shield will be loose.

The four shorter screw sets go in the very front of the screen (closest to the bike's nose) and the very back of the screen (closest to the handle bars). The longer pair goes in the two remaining mounting holes.

Seriously, it's no big deal, even for those of us who aren't "motor-heads."

You'll find it a big improvement to your riding comfort, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If you have a Moto tool and a drill thats about all I used.After marking off were I wanted the vent (lower center) I drilled a hole the same size as the little sanding drums that come with the Moto tool. insert the drum and sand in a straight line. really fairly simple as most shields are not that thick. Just take your time :!:
The vent was on my Clearview windshield .
the width of the drum sander, about 1/2"- and 7 " long. (This was a large windshield on a BMW.) After it's cut you hardly see it .

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Randy, please let us know if you decide to drill a vent into your Givi screen after you get it and put it on your Burgman. I'm sure I am not alone when I said that it would be very interesting to hear your report!

Thanks for the cool idea.

How are you enjoying your 400 generally?

--Chris

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Still waiting on Givi, but at least I feel ready to install :)
I have had a fair # of bikes over the years and this much for sure, none have been as much fun to just run around with. And it's not even that bad on the highway-I do the speed limit ( 70 ) and can still pass if I want.
Came very close to buying a Reflex but my burgman 400 came up like 5 min. before I sent a depot. To this day I don't know why I changed my mind but I am glad I did, and I think the 250 mite have been to small.
So far I am only putting 300 to 400 miles a week but the weather has not been that good anyway.
:)

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, darn. That's a nuisance. :?

Hang in there, friend. I continue to assert that you're going to be very pleased with the Givi when it arrives. We rode about 150 miles this weekend, much of them in very breezy conditions. The bigger windscreen made the experience so, so much more comfortable. I now finish our rides far less tired out.

My husband remarks on the different things we can hear now that our heads are out of the wind more. You'll probably laugh at me for being such a newbie, but when I first realized that I could hear my tires when cornering that I began to fret that something was wrong with them. Kept checking & checking 'em until Mike told me he can now hear the same thing on his 400!

We've adapted to the small distortion around the Givi's outside edges -- it was a little like getting used to wearing "progressive" bifocal eyeglasses -- and now we rarely notice it. It was a bit disorienting at first, I admit.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Burgie so much. Heaven knows we're in love with ours, too. Just think, the experience will get better in only a few weeks!

Take care,
Chris

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Have you gotten a chance to do any fuel calculation with the
new shield, I can't help but wonder how much more gas it cost to push it around. :)

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yay for you, Randy! It won't be long now. Trust me, it's worth it.

I apologize. I never got a good "before" MPG calculation to compare to what I'm getting now. I'll be filling up very soon and I will be able to give you a solid "after" figure. Perhaps you can compare it to what you're currently getting on your 400 with the stock windscreen?

Sorry to let you down on that info.

--Chris

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I got my windshield today and put it on, Will try for a long ride tomorrow, so far I will say it does look OK. Went around the block and did not care to much for the view but a lot of posts here say you get use to it.
Time will tell. :?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really do think you'll get used to it pretty quickly, Randy. I found that the little issue with distortion was more than compensated for by the plusses.

BTW, we just "tanked up" and discover that we got 65 miles per gallon after installation of the larger Givi screens. We were expecting less, and so were very pleasantly surprised.

Looking forward to hearing more feedback from you!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Two days and 340 miles latter I have to say I am use to the distortion it's not as bad as I first thought.
and I am most -"Tankfull" - to report only a 4 mpg loss due to the windshield .This makes it acceptable to me because it is doing a great job.
Very happy I listened to what everyone had to say about the Givi windshield. :)
Just don't ask how long it took to put in on :!: :oops:

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, my friend, I won't ask how long it took ... Or how many times those little rubber grommets popped off ... Or what color the air was. :wink:

Glad you're pleased with the Givi, too. I wouldn't be without mine now.

Have you noticed the back-pressure? I rode for about 4 hours yesterday and my ears were not terribly happy by the end.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
In all the years I have been riding I think (as best I can remember) this is the first windshield I have looked through and will not cut down--I think- :lol:

As far as back-pressure it does not seem to be a problem. but then I am hard of hearing and wear ear plugs anyway, :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stock # of Windshield

Hi Everyone,

If you would please let me know the stock # of the shield you purchased that would be of help. I want to be sure I purchase the correct windshield.

I just purchased my 400 and I love it, payed a little more than I should have but oh well.

Thanks,
George

1 - 20 of 22 Posts