Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, y'all...
After parting with my 9th Yamaha a decade ago, it's time to ride again.
Night shift makes for a cold ride home, so fairing is a must. Cool_P got his 650 last year, and I cain't put it off anymore. Hope to order it soon and be riding by my 46th birthday next month- getting a blue one, even though real motorcycles are black. Does this thing qualify as a motorcycle?

Keith

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA. Yes, the 650 is effectively a motorcycle when it comes to engine, braking, handling, size, weight, etc. No it is not a motorcycle when it comes to wheel size, step through design, auto transmission, and wonderfully convenient storage. In all but wheel size, which impacts ride quality some, it is better than a motorcycle. It would seem so anyway, because some of us have sold our motorcycles after spending a year or so with a Burgman 650.

Have you been in a dealership lately? Black is no longer a predominant color. (I'm sure that statement was a bit tongue in cheek though.) A well stocked dealer floor looks a bit like a rainbow these days. Matter of fact, I saw something I'd never seen before at my dealer the other day. Pink full face helmets. (I'm pretty sure they are for the ladies... :shock: )

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The color issue is one of preference, and a throwback to days gone by. I painted mine black if they weren't already. The AN650 will serve a much more utilitarian purpose, so I really don't care about the color. Co-worker sez he hauled two bags of top-soil under the seat. I'm gonna try to stuff an R/C airplane under there, along with flight gear <grin>.
I really enjoy this forum, as it gives voice to many issues important to riders.

Keith

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Keith. Glad to have you join us.

keithturtle said:
Does this thing qualify as a motorcycle?
Depends on who you're talking to... Some riders look at them as step-thru motorcycles, comfortable crotch rockets (from their seating and front look), big dang mopeds (although no pedals), mini automatic goldwings, etc, while the states classify them as motorcycles for licensing. Most of us don't really care if they're a motorcycle or not and just enjoy riding them. :D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Keith and welcome to the forum. Suzuki at one time were calling it a step through motorcycle. Performance wise it's equivalent to a motorcycle . Out performs most cruisers in my opinion.

I prefer to think of the Burgman 650 as a Couch Rocket .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm dusting off the paint gun even as I await its arrival.

Mebbe I'll add some gold pearl to the clear- yeah, that oughta make it sparkle.

Thanks for the input.

(couch rocket... now that is an interesting paradigm...)

Keith

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome Keith I am a new member and new owner of an 05 suzuki burgman 650. Piked up my bike yesterday :p Rode 125 miles on it today and its a dream to operate. I have not ridden a bike in over 20 years and this is by far the most impressive machine I have ever ridden. Last night I went out for a short cruise to get used to the bike a little and a guy at a red light next to me yelled out "wow !! where did you get that ?? and how much did it cost ?? " There are very few of the Burgmans in my area of central florida and almost everone rides a harley or a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know they ride 'em in Sarasota... last month I saw an '03 with 25000 miles on it at a dealer. It was scratched up and they still wanted $5500 fer it. Reckon these scooters hold their value? Reckon they were hoping fer a buyer with more money than sense?

Glad you found the bike acceptable after a 20 year hiatus. The 750 Virago I had handled akin to a log wagon I once drove, so the Burgmann is bound to be an improvement.

Keith

·
Registered
223 Posts
Keith:

Welcome to the forum. I'm really interested in how your custom paint job comes out. Please post a picture when you do it. While there is room for 2 bags of top soil under a Burgman seat, it would likely exceed the 20 pound weight limit of the compartment.

Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doesn't surprise me that Cool_P would exceed the cargo limit... he always pushes the limit. My airplane weighs less than 2 lbs (might hafta clip the wings, though...hee hee).

I may wait till I get a few scratches on the scoot to paint it... sapphire grows on me.

Keith

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be picking it up Thursday the 9th... mebbe the site will be back up after I get some miles on it.

Talk to y'all then...
Keith

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked it up thursday. I had to wonder what advances in technology had done in the past 30 year for bikes... wonder no more. This thing is incredible... time to start a new thread.

Keith

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Keith... Great bike eh?

Now... my question to you is, has the machine answered your question? Is it a Motorcycle?

:lol:

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No motorcycle I've ever ridden behaved the way this thing does, so I really cain't say fer sure, uh huh...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts