Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was filling my Transmission with fresh oil, really looking forward to another season of driving, as its a pain in the arse filling it due to the recessed location of the fill plug I used a large syringe with a bit of plastic line on it to push the oil into the fill hole, as I was doing this I thought wouldn't it be really stupid if this piece of hose broke free and shot into the transmission, and that is exactly what happened! I now have a three inch piece of flexible fuel like in my transmission! any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
You may be able to access the tube by removing the transmission/clutch housing. It is very easy to remove, once the side tupperware is removed.

This is what you will see

From Allwalk's gallery

From my gallery, with the clutch removed.

P.S.
I have never used the trans oil fill tube. I fill thought the overflow hole.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I don't think taking the clutch out is going to help much. If it were in the overflow hole then you might be able to catch the end of it because the overflow plug actually screws into the clutch cover. The passage through the clutch cover is a couple of inches long so the end of the tube might not be completely into the transmission.

The fill tube plug on the other hand screws directly into the transmission so if the tube went into it there is likelihood that it fell down into the transmission. If it did then the only way I know of that you can get it out is to pull the engine and split the crankcase halves.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
"If it did then the only way I know of that you can get it out is to pull the engine and split the crankcase halves."

WOW ! That's a place you don't want to go . I think I would go fishing first , what I mean by that is to try and fish it out with a shirt hanger wire . Or flush it with oil to possibly work it around to some how grab it and pull it out ?

If you can't fish it out some how , what I would do long before I went as far as splitting the cases , is run it for a bit and let the gears break the plastic up then flush out the pieces . The transmission is just a couple of gears , a shaft and a spring , not some thing a little piece of plastic would destroy .
To me especially if you have to pay a dealer to do it , pulling the motor down to splitting the cases financially is pretty much out of the question .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Will the plastic tube float in oil or some other type of fluid? If so, could you completely fill the transmission with fluid causing the tube to float to the top and then grab the tube with some forceps or a small fishing hook attached to a thin rod.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
A little late but I figured I would post what I use for transmission & final drive oil changes. I use the small one on the right for the transmission oil and the one on the left I use to fill the final drive. The plastic tips on both fit perfectly into the transmissions fill port and the one on the left has a built in screen and the cup has a cover and graduations in milliliters and ounces.

I hope you can get that tube out of there, good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I didn't think anyone ever used the transmission fill plug. It seemed like a leftover design element from another engine. I've always just used the level hole to introduce oil--it has to be open anyway. The correct amount goes in before it starts overflowing, so there doesn't seem to be a downside.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
If you can't somehow fish it out then as others have suggested just running it and trying to grind up the tube might be your best option. Worst case you end up messing up a bearing, gear or seal. To fix that you have to to split the cases so your no worse off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, as a follow up, I almost had it. It's a two inch piece of very fine line about the size one would use on a weed wacker. it has since disappeared into the deep dark depths of the tranny. I'm hoping the big gears will eat this stuff up, I've had her out for a couple of runs now with no ill effect. I'll change the oil again in the near future. and we won't be using the fill plug again, it was very easy to fill through the level plug.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
well, as a follow up, I almost had it. It's a two inch piece of very fine line about the size one would use on a weed wacker. it has since disappeared into the deep dark depths of the tranny. I'm hoping the big gears will eat this stuff up, I've had her out for a couple of runs now with no ill effect. I'll change the oil again in the near future. and we won't be using the fill plug again, it was very easy to fill through the level plug.
Pete , no sense in pushing your luck so if I were you I would drain the transmission sooner than later . Drain it into a cup and strain it to see what you have . If it's OK you can just refill it with the same oil . I think if you stay on top of it and drive it slow at first you won't have any problems . The inside of the so called transmission , is really a small amount of transfer gears that are hardened steel .

Good luck , TheReaper!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts