Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first ride went great! So did the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc, etc... :D

Yeah I'm really loving it thus far. Now I'm looking for accessories and riding clothes. Just have the helmet right now. So any advice would be great on that as well.

The backrest for the driver, can it be adusted up any :?: Any suggestions on back rests or the "trunks" you can install on the back :?:

Thanks for the help ya'll.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome Koontzme. I must have missed you in the Who Are You forum. Glad to have you with us.

In answer to your question about the driver backrest, If you mean the one from http://www.rvtoys.com, it is not adjustable. It is actually a fixed bracket which you mount the stock buttstop to and it raises it 8". I have it on mine and it really is nice. There is at least one other driver backrest available, from what I've read in the forum, but don't know anything about it.

It seems the 2 most popular trunks are the Givi and the VIP. The Givi is better quality but also a lot more money. The VIP is sold on eBay and is less than half the price of the Give but you don't have quite the high quality. I have the VIP and find it very nice.

Clothing. Wow, there are about as many opinions on that as there are members of this forum. We all have our favorites. I suggest shoping around and try on different brands and find what is comfortable for you.

Half the fun is in the shopping anyhow.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Welcome to ICOBO... Congratulations on your new ride.

You didn't mention though which one it was - or, come to think of it, what it was as we have many members that have different kinds of bikes.

As to clothing... Like was said, as many opinions as we have members... But, with warm weather getting ready to scoot out of here (forgive the pun), I would look for some Cold Weather gear. If you find any reasonably priced, let us know. I'll be needing some myself.

Rode home last night after dinner with temps in high 60's... Dang near froze it was so cold (ok... cold for Alabama anyway). My Joe Rocket mesh isn't going to do me any good come December.

Joe

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi, Michael!

I have the Utopia backrest from Utopia Products, Inc. website www.utpr.com. It is adjustable up and down, and from back to front...very comfortable. It also has a handy zipper pouch that attaches to the back of the backrest which is handy for stashing something like your rain jacket. My dad also has the Burgman and he has a GIVI top case which has the light kit in the back. Other good accessories??? The J&M CB radio which allows you to play an MP3, IPOD, or XM radio through it. Love having tunes when cruisin' :wink:

Ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry bout that. I got the 2005 Burgman 650 in Silver.

Thanks for the info. on this thus far. I'm checking it out right now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome! I haven't been around that much longer than you, but I've learned alot from the folks here.

Some of my own suggestions from when I was picking out gear;

Take your time. Get stuff that you *like* and fits you. Don't settle for what "works".

Best thing to do is go to the dealer where you bought the bike and try on stuff to get the best idea of what fits you. One thing I noticed when I did my 'try-on' was that size isn't always the same from maker to maker.

No matter what you wear, make sure the jacket you get has some kind of extra protection in the shoulders and back, whether it's soft or hard. Mine has hard armor that's removeable so that I can wash the jacket.

If you plan to ride year-round, a removeable liner in it. Brand doesn't matter, but try to get something that has "retro-reflective" (reflects back at the driver) stuff on it. While I got a great Fieldsheer jacket, it's mainly black (fun when sitting on a bike in warm weather) with flashes of retro-reflective and some yellow. I went to a local safety shop and bought a lime-green Hi-Viz vest for night time and dark weather wear for about $25.The Nolan helmet I bought is Canary Yellow. I may be adding some yellow retro-reflective to it to add more visibility.

One thing that can't be emphasized enough; make sure that you can be SEEN. As has often been remarked, we're invisible out there.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If you mean the stock backrest there is a lever under the seat that allows you to pull out the backrest.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Fit is the single most important consideration with gear, as mentioned. You also have to consider what kind of riding you'll be doing. Quality leather gives the best abrasion protection. But it can be too hot in the summer, and it's miserable in the rain. I have three sets of gear - leather, mesh, and waterproof. They all have CE armor, and I have a back protector (Dainese Wave) that I move from one to the other. Gloves... after crash-testing leather street gloves without being impressed at what they did, I only wear gauntlet-style track gloves. That's just my preference. I'd also pick up one set of good waterproof boots; I have Alpinestars Roam. You can use those year-round.

Don't wait to get gear! You don't choose when you crash. You don't choose when you get hit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts