Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Andy Gilbert. I live in central Georgia about 100 miles south of Atlanta.

I just bought a white 2011 AN650, because my wife and my mother both wouldn't let me have a real motorcycle. Only partly kidding... this motorcycle is a blast, but calling it a scooter did help me make the case to them.

This is the first bike I have owned since I sold my Suzuki 250 Savage motocross bike in 1978. That's not really 35 years ago is it? I read a lot of this forum while shopping, looked seriously at several Burgmans and a Morphous, and bought this one on Ebay with only 2300 miles and haven't stopped grinning since.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome Andy ..................After not riding for 25+ years I took the safety course & it sure helped.;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ahhh, the old, "It's just a scooter, honey" trick. Well played, my friend, well played...

Welcome from beautiful, sunny Southern Californa. And welcome to the wonderful world of Burgmans.

One of my standing suggestions to new riders is to find a local scooter group to ride with. Try www.meetup.com and search for scooters. There's bound to be a few near you. You could also do motorcycle groups with a Burgman, but you might want to get your training wheels off first. No offense, but you have some practicing to do not riding for 35 years. Scooter groups tend to be a little more accepting of newbies. And what fun it will be relearning all those riding skills.

Have a great time on that new bike! :p

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Andy! An investment in heated grips will make that scooter a year-round experience in Atlanta. Glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Owner of an 08 650

I'm Mike Rogers in Florida. After 40+ years of riding a motorcycle, issues with my hands forced me into Scooter Land. Just brought mine home Sunday, 11,700 miles. Loved every minute of the ride home and will enjoy learning from those of you who have had them a long while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Andy! An investment in heated grips will make that scooter a year-round experience in Atlanta. Glad to have you with us!
Chip, what type grips did you put on. I'm seriously considering it when I take the scoot in later this month.

Andy, welcome, you'll love it. I started out with a 400 Majesty after a bit longer of a layoff. That was really an easy work in. After the first two weeks, I was right back into it. I did take the all day safety course, just to make sure I was well versed in all the things you should know. The license test was run at the end of the day.

The 650 is a lot more bike so take your time. Riding with a group is fun. I just started riding with mostly Harleys. I've also added an NT700 sports tourer and a Vulcan 900 cruiser as the itch grew. It was interesting the first two hours on a much bigger bike than I was used to when I was in my 20s. Shifting and hills took a bit. However that's no problem on the scoot ;)

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Welcome Andy...
you may consider yourself a scooterer....
but you are officially a Burgermeister......

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome Andy, I also recommend the safety course and looking for groups to ride/practice/learn with. Oxford makes a well thought out and reasonably priced heated grip kit if you're looking for one.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Chip, what type grips did you put on. I'm seriously considering it when I take the scoot in later this month.
I had Hot Grips on the Concours and loved them. Haven't put them on the Burgman yet, but I've only had it a couple of weeks. The Vari-Heat option is very nice, but not strictly necessary.

http://www.hotgrips.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts