Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Later this week I plan to test-ride an '08 Burgman 400. Currently I have a bullet-proof, 2010 Honda Sh150i. I'm after a bit more power for occasional freeway use. Obviously, I'd trade in the Honda.
Appreciate any and all informed replies about what I should be looking for with my test-ride. Oh and btw, the '08 Burgy 400 has 15,000 miles. Thanks in advance!

PS: I really like the sh150i's 16-inch tires, but can't wait to test the Burgy.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You'll be looking at a very capable bike. I've put over 22,000 miles on mine in the last two years. It's been a daily commuter and long-distance tourer including Interstates. You're probably facing a belt change soon if it has not already been done.

If the clutch squeals on take-off, it's typically not a big deal...just a sign of dust buildup and/or glazed clutch shoes. Both easily remedied. Be careful but, check for front end wobbles at various speeds. It's got enough miles that the fork bearings could be a little loose and need adjusting. Know in advance the stock windshield is flimsy. If that's what it's got, don't be surprised at some buffeting above 40 or so mph. Many replace theirs with an aftermarket. If you're mechanical at all, you can do most if not all of your routine maintenance. There's lots of advice and how-to videos available. Replacement plastic panels are expensive and, even if you fix them yourself some of the colors pretty much require a shop to get a good match. That engine is just broken in and shouldn't be using any appreciable oil. However, there have been isolated reports of excessive oil consumption so, grill the owner well on its oil use history.

Prepare to fall in love all over again!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy,

ScooterManiac: Thanks for the reply/info! The Burgy in question is at my local Honda dealer and I really like them, fwiw. I don't know how much they know about the bike's history. Also, I'm not mechanically inclined but plan to learn to do my own oil changes.
If the burgy needs a belt and/or has belt squeal, I'm not sure If I want to take ownership of a bike that needs several hundred immediately sunk into her..I'll wait and see..can't wait!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased my 08 Burgy march 2nd of this year. I love it, it only had 1600mils on it and now it has 3600, I have no problems. riding 2up isn't bad either but you can tell by take off and pick up speed. I do get the squeal at take off also. I took it back to the dealer and had 2people look at it and both said its normal and there is nothing to be worried about. I want to ride it everyday but rain changes that from time to time. get it I promise you that you will love it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm at almost 40k on my 400 and it is the best bike I've ever owned. It's the quenticincial do-all street bike. Running errands, commuting, touring, canyon carving, etc. It doesn't do any one thing great, but does everything very, very well.

They biggest maintenance area is the transmission. Note this us not uncommon on ANY bike with a CVT. The belt and rollers should be good for 20k. The clutch for 30-40k. However the clutch will glaze and start to squeal every 10k or so. Its NOT a big deal, nor a deal breaker. I would have the dealer deglaze it for you. It's a half hour job, hour at most. They just take sandpaper to the clutch pads and sand off the glaze, blow out the accumulated dust and clean it up.

Tires last 10k, front and back, which is pretty good by MC standards. At 15k you should be halfway through the second set.

So, get the deglaze done as part of the deal. Also have them throw in a coolant change as well, its time after six years and probably wasn't done previously.

Perhaps have the dealer make you a deal to do the belt and roller replacement and tires, perhaps another deglaze while they're in there at 20k. $300 for the belt and rollers, $50 for the deglaze and whatever tires of your choice. That's a very fair deal they should be willing to make.

Oil, filter, sparkplug and air filter you can do on your own as necessary. Theyre easy.

None of this is unusual maintenance. Pretty standard stuff for scooters. MCs have their own peculiarities like chain tightening and such.

Good luck. Hope it works out. They're great bikes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I concur with replacing the wind screen. The stock is not bad, but a taller one will help definitely help and make it more enjoyable.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I concur with replacing the wind screen. The stock is not bad, but a taller one will help definitely help and make it more enjoyable.
Personally, the stock screen is fine for me, but I'm only 5'10". Taller riders find it too buffeting. Ergos are a matter of personal preference. No one can say but the rider.

But other common mods are a rider backrest or riser, seat pad or seat upgrade, passenger backrest and the occasional top box. Although with over 60 liters of storage under the seat, the latter is somewhat unnecessary unless multiday touring.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Personally, the stock screen is fine for me, but I'm only 5'10". Taller riders find it too buffeting. Ergos are a matter of personal preference. No one can say but the rider.

But other common mods are a rider backrest or riser, seat pad or seat upgrade, passenger backrest and the occasional top box. Although with over 60 liters of storage under the seat, the latter is somewhat unnecessary unless multiday touring.
I think I want a top box...only because I do not think my laptop will fit in the compartment under the seat.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think I want a top box...only because I do not think my laptop will fit in the compartment under the seat.
While I wouldn't discourage the top box because I like that added versatility, I think you will be surprised. I have a large laptop and it fits quite nicely.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
While I wouldn't discourage the top box because I like that added versatility, I think you will be surprised. I have a large laptop and it fits quite nicely.
+1, the trunk is huge, much bigger than most top boxes. If you still want one though, make sure to buy a bike with no rear backrest; the rest would need to be removed and replaced with the flat rear body panel to do so.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I concur with many of the comments made. It's one of the most versatile well sorted bikes on the market. As said, the occassional clutch clean and deglaze is very easy to diy if you watch the online vids. But you may never need to do it. Just depends what sort of riding you tend to do the most of and how many miles each year you do. I too can get my laptop under the seat in the trunk. It's 62 litres in size which is frankly enormous. These bike cost peanuts to run if you diy. If you dont diy, cost is still very reasonable. If the bike you are looking at squeals or judders at take off use that to get that price down. It sounds a bit pricey! Long term reliability is brilliant with the engine capable of 6 digit figurs showing on the clock. I have serviced an 09 400 with no less than 102,000 miles on the clock. It's had no engine work other than a variator, 2 clutches, and just normal servicing items. Pretty good by anyones standards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts