Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
It looks decent to me. I would certainly try to negotiate with them. Kelley Blue Book shows the trade in value at $2,110 and the retail value from a dealer at $3,105. So, you be the judge.

The windshield is broken, so you've got to calculate in replacing that. I see it has a Leo Vince pipe on it, and those are $400/$500 new. Only having 6,000 mies is certainly a plus.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/suzu...50-burgman-650/trade-in/?categoryname=scooter

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks Dflowe, is 2003 a fairly trouble free year or do you know?
I think all the Burgman's have been relatively dependable. I know their were some well documented CVT issues on the earlier 650's. You can do a search here and find plenty of information on that.

I would ride it, listen closely, see how it feels, negotiate on the deal and make a decision based on those things. I've seen many post from members with many trouble free miles.

Good luck,

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's a beautiful bike, no doubt about that. My only concern, would be the cvt belt. I've read that the 2003-04 models were the first for the USA and didn't quite have the belt worked out. The 05-08 were better and the 09 on are very good.

Be that as it may, I have an 05 with 8k on the clock. So far so good. Seems to run great.

The price is not bad, considering the extras. I paid 3300 for only 3500 miles on basically the same bike stock, sans the top box, backrest and such. Easily several hundred dollars of upgrades. So, not bad. But perhaps a slightly better deal could be had with some negotiating. Check that coolant, fluids and tires are current. If not, perhaps a discount is in order.

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
Actually, I would ask about the low mileage. My -03 has about 40K on it in 10 years, with no real issues. That's an average of about 4,000 per year. 5K per year for the 1st 6 years, then about 2.5 K for the last 4.

My concern would be long term storage and inactivity. If it sat for years without being run, that would concern me more than higher mileage.

·
Administrator
20,112 Posts
These are my opinions.

If I were needing another bike and found a low mileage 03-04 that fit my budget, I'd jump.

There is mainly only one thing bad about a 03 650 and that is the small primary adapter that causes the diesel sound. But there is a fix in the "Polish" made adapter kit.

No 6th speed but the OD is about the same in AUTO mode.

The turnsignal lenses are amber.

I liked my 03. It was faster than ether of my 08s. I had my 03 WELL above a true 115 MPH on Laser speed measuring device.
My 03 is still in my garage with a damaged transmission (NOT CVT) due to running 0W-20 oil. Was not thick enough oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you can get it for $3K or less and then maybe spend a few hundred on it and depending if you just use it for low miles it might be ok and you should not loose too much on it if you went to sell it unless cvt goes out which will cost more to have fixed than it is worth.

You could let his sale run through and if he doesn't get 3, then contact and offer 2,500 which would be a good value.

Otherwise, and if you plan on putting lots of miles, spend more and buy a 2010 or newer with low miles for maybe 1 1/2 times as much and get a better machine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do plan on putting a lot of highway miles on it. I was kind of worried about it being an early model before they worked out the little things -as Liamjs said. The cvt really is a sticking point with me on the 650. With my luck, it would be the first thing to go. I think I'll pass on this one and keep my eyes peeled for a later model.

I'll be content with my '08 400 until a real good deal on a later model 650 comes around.
Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think it will sell at the $3000.00 price. If the starting bid is $3000.00 can't you still offer less on the bid. Since it is fairly close to where you live, I would opt for a road trip before I made any decision on it. If you could get it around $2500.00, find someone on the forum that would swap out the exhaust for a couple of hundred dollars and pickup a used windshield, you could be into the scooter for around $2300.00.

John

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If you are going to put some miles on a 650 I'd look for a 07 Exc or newer. I found a 09 with less then 10k miles after I sold my 07 400. I spent a little more than planed but glad I did for a little newer one then I was looking for. ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you Desert Rat. I'm bad about buying old low-mileage vehicles. Then, having to go into the engine and replace the seals because they sat up.
Well, I think those days are in the past.
I'd rather have one that has been ridden and kept up with a few more miles. Plus, I know the 2007 - have some upgrades over the earlier models.
I did send him a question to the effect of did he check KBB? - I did. He didn't get back to me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts