Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When reattaching the plug wire to the plug do you have to screw it back on?
My main experience with plugs in the past is just push on style connectors, but this one has screw threads.
Do I just "wind up" the plug wire in the opposite direction as far as I can and then push and twist it onto the plug to make it tight?
I have a 2008.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
As I remember, you just push it on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried just pushing it on like I'm used to and having clamping force/friction hold it in place, but then I just barely touched the wire and it basically popped off the tip of the plug.
That's when I did the screw thing.
I think I had one once where the friction/clamping head of the plug came unscrewed from the plug and was stuck up in the plug wire. Is that possibly what happened to me here? I looked up in the plug with a flashlight and couldn't tell if what I saw was all natural plug wire stuff or the head of the plug stuck up in there.
In case it was the plug head stuck up in there I tried screwing the plug onto it and pulling to get the head unstuck from the wire, but it just kept popping the plug itself back out with its screw threads exposed. Perhaps the threads are somewhat stripped?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mitch's spark plug replacement video shows how my spark plug tip looked. A very small top with threads instead of a "fatter" top with a smooth cap like top that I am used to seeing on older car plugs I've worked with before.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
You did not push it hard enough. The screw-on larger diameter rounded adapter used on many/most ignition systems is not used and instead a "horseshoe" shaped spring in slots on a brass adapter grips the screw threads on the plug:

Just push harder and it will snap on...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it comes loose from its current state I'll push it on as hard as I can.
Thanks everyone for the input. Very nice picture too Cliff, that is exactly what I saw when I looked in with the flashlight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've gotten stuck on the road when it popped off after stalling a few times. Only the pre-twist-screw-on (with hard push) has lasted for me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts