Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now looking at purchasing a small trailer to transport my Burgman 650 and am concerned as to how it should be tyied down as to not cause any damage to the body work or handlebar controls! If any one has had experience in this area I would be gratelful for your advise. Thanks /RW

·
Registered
247 Posts
Head on over to your local U-Haul dealer and take a look at the bike trailers they rent. They may even be able to sell you a used one?

Try this site:
http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/motorcycle/

I looked at my utility trailer to see if I could adapt it for the Burgman but I too don't have a clue where to place the straps to hold it securely without damaging the paint/plastic.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Some folks have said that the "Canyon Dancer" system works best for the Burgmans. I saw them at my local dealership recently and purchased a set. I paid $26.95, list price is $29.95 I think.

Go to http://www.canyondancer.com/ to see how they work.

I haven't used them yet, but I intend to carry them with me in the under seat trunk just in case I get stranded on the road and my scoot needs a ride...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
the " Canyon Dancer" is the way to go, I have used it many time's over the years and the only bike it does not work on is a BMW.:(
It works fine on the Burgman and puts no strain on the handlebars ..one more strap over the seat chock the front wheels and forget it.
Just remember the idea with the "Canyon Dancer" is to hold the bike up (not down) .....by that I mean don't tighten your straps to much 8)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am trailing my baby this summer as well. I have the Canyon Dancer (haven't used it yet though). Could you guys elaborate on the rest of the suggested tie down process? Do you need a wheel chuck? What is the best place to strap in the rear without causing undo strain or possible scratch damage? SHould you push down alot in the rear so there isn't too much play on the rear shocks?

ENough questions? :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would say yes you need a wheel chock for the front wheel one on the back would be nice but you can do with out.
After setting your "Canyon Dancer" or handlebar straps the bike can not fall over left or right, the wheel chock stops the wheel from moving left or right on the bumps---Wheel chock means something (2x4) on both sides of the wheel touching the wheel and high enough that the wheel can not jump over it ..if the front wheel is not touching the trailer then you should put a a stop In front-----
On the rear I have found a strap over the passenger section of the seat (with a towel or what ever to protect it) will hold the back down very well.. You ca put a strap wrapped around the rear wheel if you want instead of over the top.. That's about it except set your rear parking break and tie your front break leaver in.
Again, not to tight on the front end tie downs (what ever you use) just a little compression of the forks is all it takes your holding the bike upright, the trailer has shocks the bike has shocks it's not about to fly out of the trailer.
I am sure there are other ways and better ways, this has worked for me over many thousands of trailing miles . :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have a question. I assume that the wheel chock and tiedowns make putting the scooter on either stand unnecessary - even undesireable. But suppose you break down and some local gets called out to pick you up on a flatbed. Is he likely to have an appropriate wheel chock? If not, would you prop the bike on the sidestand with the brake set - or not? I'm assuming that the centerstand would be a bad idea because then the scooter shocks aren't working at all... And I'm also under the impression that the Canyon Dancer harness is designed for upright use... I'm not sure how to handle a situation like that.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would bet your going to break you side stand inside of 30 miles just a second or two before your bike hits the road. :cry:
A flat bed truck will have what he needs and if has no chocks a strap wrapped around the front tire and secured to the sides of the truck will also stop the tire from "dancing"

·
Registered
247 Posts
Okay one more question. You don't use the back stand while transporting? The bike is held upright with the straps? Wouldn't the bike be more stable on its rear stand? Okay three questions.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If you were on a flat bed truck going down the highway which would be better
1- standing knees a little bent and a strap in each hand .:)
2- sitting on the top edge of a 4x4 and a strap in each hand .:(
If you leave the bike on the stand you may wind up doing damage to any number of different parts of the bike
the bikes shocks help cushion road impacts
Last point don't think of it as holding the bike up, your not, the bike holds it self up you are only stopping it from falling over. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
captainfish wrote
Sorry, dense head again...
So, that is a NO to using the side stand?
How does a bike hold itself up and not be on its side stand?
Right, a NO to using the side stand.
The bike does not fall over because the straps keep it upright .

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
So, that is a NO to using the side stand?
How does a bike hold itself up and not be on its side stand?
When transporting a bike, do not use the stands; center stand or side stand. Let the bike rest on its wheels so the suspension can protect the bike from jolts.

Straps hold the bike upright, the way your legs hold it upright at a stop light (But more straps, plus wheel chocks, to handle cornering loads).

HTH.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stinger trailer

I bought a Stinger folding trailer for my bikes.
I have not had the burgy on there yet but it has worked well with my other bikes.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If I got a Stinger, could I tow my DR 350 behind the Burgman?

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just looking at the picture I am sure the plastic will break if you tried to tie it down that way unless you were very, very careful. If I were using that kind of strap I would try to come off the forks. or chris cross off the hand grips. :?
Get a Canyon Dancer before you do some damage it's cheep insurance. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts