Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a long thread on this a while back, but I'd like to know some specifics from those who have these shocks. Do they take the harshness out of the the ride? After back surgery a year ago I find I'm not able to tolerate the shocks to my spine. I have a Cary Burgman seat which eliminates monkey butt but it's no help from the jarring suspension. I'm not particularly concerned about handling because I'm pretty happy with it as it is, but it appears that if I can't get the ride smoother I can't ride it for any distance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are a %100 improvement in ride quality after the break in. Mine took about 1200 miles to settle in (stiffer than stock while breaking in) but once they did it's like I'm riding on pillows compared to the stock shocks. Well worth the $220.....Now if I can just get time to mess with the forks :D

P.S. - Handling also improves because the shocks are less jittery than the stock ones

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are a %100 improvement in ride quality after the break in. Mine took about 1200 miles to settle in (stiffer than stock while breaking in) but once they did it's like I'm riding on pillows compared to the stock shocks. Well worth the $220.....Now if I can just get time to mess with the forks :D

P.S. - Handling also improves because the shocks are less jittery than the stock ones
Can you tell me what rate springs you used?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I went with Progressive 65/100 springs (03-1300B) and shocks (12-1205B). Also replaced the fork oil with ATF+4 and added an air-pressure system to the forks. I run the rear preloads at minimum and fill the fork air until the forks decompress about 1/2" - 3/4" with me on the seat, but I don't know what the pressure is, it's certainly under 10psi. I think there's a very noticeable improvement most on "long bumps" but it's still uncomfortably choppy on "short bumps." I suppose there's only so much you can do with 4.3 inches of suspension travel.

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
I did what Mike above this did but I went with 75/110's or 90/130 springs and they are too stiff for my 210 pounds. I would need to pull the boxes out to see what spring I went to.

I did just the flush and fill with ATF+4 (Synth) transmission fluid in the front forks with/out the air.

Most will agree it is worth the $220 if you ride as mush as I do. (16,000+ miles per year) I am at just under 60K miles by like 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used the 70/110 springs. I am 6'0" and about 215 lbs and they work great for me. Any softer and it may end up a bit spongy feeling after break in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm pretty sure you did the 90/130's Dave if I remember right from the old post....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it will run about $300 with shocks and springs. Well worth it if it makes it riidable. I think a Utopia backrest might help as well. Today I dropped rear tire pressure to 34 pounds just to see if it would help. not much if any.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should be able to pick them up for around $225 with springs. The backrest would help a lot also but is expensive. I use a Bearcat backrest with a cheap back pad and it works great.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered the shocks and 65/100 springs. It came to $239 with shipping. Can anyone tell me the bolt size for the top eyelet so I can order bushings? I prefer not to use the existing bushings on the new shocks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just ordered the shocks and 65/100 springs. It came to $239 with shipping. Can anyone tell me the bolt size for the top eyelet so I can order bushings? I prefer not to use the existing bushings on the new shocks.
I think it's 10mm, If you contact Progressive they will sell you a bushing kit for their shocks that works pretty good. You could also probably hit up your local bike shop and get some there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Local dealer confirms mounting bolts are 10mm. Bushings are 10x16x21. I ordered them but won't get them for at least a week. I'll have the shocks before that but will have to wait to see how much they help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The shocks arrived today with bushings already in place in the eyelets and a collection of spacers. Unless there's something I'm not seeing, it Looks like all I need to do is find the right spacer and bolt them in. I have the springs mounted now and plan to put the shocks on the bike tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The shocks arrived today with bushings already in place in the eyelets and a collection of spacers. Unless there's something I'm not seeing, it Looks like all I need to do is find the right spacer and bolt them in. I have the springs mounted now and plan to put the shocks on the bike tomorrow.
So, short of putting the correct springs on for a person's weight this is Plug and Play for our bikes? What part number shocks did you order and from whom?

Doug

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Progressive shock part number is 12-1205B. I ordered 70/100 springs. When they arrived they had 65/100 on them. That's OK for me. I think they stopped making one or the other and the part number didn't change. Spring part number is 03-1300B. Total cost with shipping and $14 Florida sales tax from Amazon was $235.62. That's about $70 cheaper than I found on other sites.

Can anyone tell me the torque specs for these?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Does anyone know what model number shocks and springs I would have to get for my weight at 160 lbs. I know I'm a light weight, but I'm only at 5'5" in height. Most of the shock & spring model numbers I've seen are for 200 or over lbs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shocks are all mounted. Only took about a half hour. All the necessary parts were in the box from Progressive. I wasn't able to get my torque wrench into the top bolts so I guessed at it. 21FP isn't much anyway. There was a very slight amount of space on each side of the clevis mounts. The kit had four very thin washers, which I inserted. I'm not sure they were needed, but I made that call. I'll watch to see how everything goes. The ride quality is better but not by a great deal yet. I'll have to see how they break in. I did bottom the center stand once in my test ride with the pre load at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hope you are happy with it but don't believe that whatever you do or spend will you be able to overcome the reality of short travel suspension. Each to his own but I think a person is better off living with the stock suspension and using money for the next set of tires (or CVT repair).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You may well be right. Progressive says they'll break in a little in 500 miles. Also moving up the pre load may keep it from bottoming at the end of suspension travel, which I plan to try next. After two neck surgeries and one back surgery, I have to reduce the shock to my spine. The Burgman is a great machine, but it may not be for me. I'll know in 500 miles if I keep it or sell it and get another V-Strom or R-1200RT. I'm 77, but I can still throw my leg over either of those and ride them with no problem. And my lap time at Sebring in comparable cars hasn't started to go up yet either.

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
If you read thru the other shock threads you would have seen that I found that the new Progressives made the totaly crap front suspension show up. So I took the front forks and drained the OEM fluid and flushed it with Chrysler spec ATF +4 synthetic fluid. I also took the steel spring spacer out and replace it with two cut down Goldwing progressive springs about 1/4 inch longer than the steel spacers. This gave me about 3 more inches of spring travel and the ATF+4 is just a bit thicker than the OEM 10W. I think if I had gone to the 75/110 spring on the rear instead of the 90/130 I would be a bit happier.

Yes it did take about 500 miles for the new shocks to settel in. I still have mine on setting 1 of 5, even with the 185/60 HR 14 tire on the rear. That big bologna tire also acts like a soft spring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts