Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I used to install their rating software a few years ago on their networks. Nice program they got there!

I'm about to get insurance through them when I pick up my scooter some time this/next week. I've never really heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have had them for a number of years
I have had no problems but then I have never needed them either ,
but on the whole it seems like a good company.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have USAA insurance for my home and two cars for over 10 years. I checked with them about M/C insurance and they write motorcycle/scoots through their general line which is Progressive. I also want to check GEICO.
Rob in SoCal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Progressive all the way!! I have checked a pile of different companies and have not been able to beat Progressive. They also offer med pay which is uncommon in bike insurance. Saved over $100 a year swapping from Alfa.
Well thats my input.

·
Registered
969 Posts
When I asked (about two months ago):

Geico $645/yr - full coverage

Progressive $75/yr - full or partial coverage (your choice, but I don't know why anyone would pick partial. 8) )

For both bikes, two riders, $161/yr.

I'm happy. :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I just did an online quote with both Progressive and Geico. Both were higher than State Farm here in Tennessee.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Billmeek: That's amazing. Here in Arizona State Farm is more than twice as much as Progressive. Further, the agent I talked to said SF really doesn't like insuring motorcycles/scooters.

Recently a couple of teenybops ran into the rear of my girlfriend's car (unfortunately I was driving it. Sitting still at the time in a line of cars, unfortunately again, I was the last car in the line). The girls had Progressive. I called them and got no argument and a check in the mail two days later. My girlfriend wondered why I couldn't have been driving on some other street. Delicate matter, this.

My 650's full coverage with Progessive is about $100 per year.

Anyway, GEICO is the evil empire. Years ago they funded research into police radar, helped set up the point system, and profited obscenely by raising your rates every time you got a ticket. Road & Track - or Car & Driver - I forget which, did a well researched expose of them a number of years ago about this. Also, they spend a ton of money on advertising, which may have some relationship to their high rates.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Progressive quoted me:

Overpriced insurance Co said:
Your 12 Month rate for Progressive:

paid in full:$457.00

Or with the following Payment Options

*****4 Payments Option*****

Down Payment:$114.25
3 payments:$119.25*

*(Installments due 30, 60 and 90 days from the start of the policy.)

*****11Payments Option *****
Electronic Funds Transfer from checking account

DownPayment:$68.55
9 payments:$38.85*
1 payment:$38.80*

*(Installments due every month for 10 months on the same day as the policy effective date.)
That price is on a 2003 AN400 for full coverage (w/ low limits) including the 10% discount for MSF Basic Rider Course. The only difference from State Farm is I added medical coverage that increased the premium $27 per year. My current coverage from State Farm only costs $246 per year. According to state farm, there is not multi-line discount applied to the motorcycle insurance.

Guess it's a good idea to really shop around for insurance.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I went with Progressive this year for my V-Strom - about $250 less than what State Farm wanted. I currently have Dairyland insurance on the Burgman 650 (they also specialize in motorcycle coverage). Dairyland's rate on the scooter is very close to Progressive's, but the local agency I went through is awful. The phone usually goes into answering machine mode - and they often do not return calls. I plan to switch to Progressive for the scooter when my current Dairyland policy runs out.

Be aware that there are two different sales arms for Progressive Insurance. "Progressive Direct" is done via their website and over the phone (a direct interface with Progressive, no agent involved). There are also many independent insurance agents that sell Progressive insurance, but they often add certain "agency fees" to the cost of the contract. They can also make up their own "rules". One local agent that sells Progressive tryed telling me that he couldn't write motorcycle insurance unless I also insured my car(s) through him.

I recommend using Progressive Direct.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called Progressive's toll-free number today and signed for my policy starting 6/25 when my current State Farm policy expires. Progressive is $220/year less than State Farm for the exact coverage plus I added their Roadside Assistance for $8/year (call their number and they dispatch help for breakdowns, flats, no gas, etc). :D

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have used Progressive for the last 12 years on my car insurance. I got a quote from them for the 650 Burg; full coverage-$103 a year. CHEAP!!!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
There seems to be a lot of variables with insurance; i'm with Progressive on my cycles because of their good rates, but they couldn't compete with Alstate on cars!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm getting about $300/year for a burger 650 with full coverage in Southern CT., including roadside assistance and rental reimbursement. Never had any claims, but everytime I call them they pick up the phone promptly and always seem to be a pleasure to deal with.

·
Registered
520 Posts
ted clement said:
There seems to be a lot of variables with insurance; i'm with Progressive on my cycles because of their good rates, but they couldn't compete with Alstate on cars!
I am 55 years old with NO claims and FULL coverage with limits no SANE person would insure for is only $153.00 per YEAR with Progressive. I almost fainted when they told me how much of a refund I got with 3 new scooters and dropping my 1500LC....Mike

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I have both my 400 and 650 with Progressive and pay only $313 a year for both together which also includes road side service and medical coverage. Blew State Farm out of the water who wanted $380 per year just for the 650 with no medical or roadside coverage. No claims yet, so not sure on their service.

·
Registered
520 Posts
casek said:
I have both my 400 and 650 with Progressive and pay only $313 a year for both together which also includes road side service and medical coverage. Blew State Farm out of the water who wanted $380 per year just for the 650 with no medical or roadside coverage. No claims yet, so not sure on their service.

Trish just reminded me. We did have a claim in 1998 with Progressive. My new Harley was stolen. They paid me OVER my cost to help cover add on's etc that I had not even insured. Showed us far MORE than goon faith.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts