Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a plastic piece that is black.

I need it painted to metallic graphite blue color code YLE which is the color of my bike

Has anyone ordered metallic graphite blue from color rite and has it matched to the original color on your bike

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've never had any luck with MATCHING plastic or metal colors , even though it's the same color code . Plastics I think are even harder since the color is IN the plastic and not ON it . I've seen a lot of painted plastics and have never seen any that you couldn't tell right off was painted . I have seen some half way decent looking plastic paint jobs (entire bike) but NEVER nearly as nice as the original IN the plastic colors . Even when you replace one piece on your bike with brand new OEM a good eye can see the difference right away (fading). To create that same shine and depth of color that new plastics have with a quart of paint is not humanly possible . Metal flake is even more difficult . Bottom line new is best in every way , painting outcomes vary dramatically and you can tell even the best paint job that it's been painted right off .
Also Color Rite is twice the price local houses charge . In general deep reds are about 600% more expensive , and metal flakes can get just as crazy .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have never used colorrite because of their prices but I know of several guys who have and they were pleased with the color match. Keep in mind that most colors are a multi step process with as many as 4 layers{primer, base, color, top}. You also have to prep the part before starting which is yet more work and cost.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Color rite is as close as you'll find but no paint is perfect...to many variables.
I have got real close with the 2014 ford focus metallic blue Dupli-color which blended in real well for 1/3 the cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Body shops

Thanks for the info guys

I also went to some body shops to find out if they can match the black piece that I have to the color of my bike, which this is to a oem passenger backrest

They told me that they can mix their paint to bring a very close match to metallic graphite blue but it would not be an exact match.

Has anyone had work done at a body shop with a bike?
And the end result was the paint color noticeable from the rest of the bike

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I tried color rite to replicate m 08/400 Sanoma Red and it wasn't even close. I went to a local auto body supplier who matched the paint perfectly. I have a thread on this site about the journey repainting it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Looks like you get to paint the whole thing now.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You need a shop with a paint MATCHING computer. They're incredible...I saw one match decades-old (1976!) Chrysler dark green...and it is PERFECT. I know what I'm looking for and have a hard time seeing it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Being an ex-body shop mgr. for over 35 years all I can say good luck on a perfect match. Automotive refinishing products are very expensive and painting processes for many of the colors are three different paints steps and must be applied that way for correct colors to match, or I should say a close match. Good automotive painters makes $100,000 plus a year, so there must be a little knowledge in knowing what to do, that's what you pay for. One of my painters did work at home for the local Honda Motorcycle dealer, he mainly did the insurance repaired painting for the dealers repair jobs, I would contact a M/C dealer and see who does their painting for them, maybe they will give you his phone number.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts