Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I has some time over the holidays to work on my 2005 400s. She has 71.000 miles on it. I have had the typical moaning sound from the back by the rear clutch area. Decided to replace all of the bearing and seals. The job went very smoothly.

I got it back together smoothly. Started it up and reved it up to 5000-6000 rpms on the service stand. The moaning was gone and it ran pretty smooth.

Dropped the service stand ready for a ride. Give it some gas to start off and, as I give it gas and move, I hear a loud repeatative knock from the back end. It is hard to tell were it is coming from. It only knocks like this when riding. When on the service stand it does not make the sound.

Any ides?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
You need to take it apart again and recheck your work.

A common mistake is that the belt gets pinched between the fixed (outer) and inner drive pulley flanges, and then when tightening the crank shaft nut the fixed pulley does not seat properly. Once the belt becomes properly positioned and load is applied the fixed pulley and variator will rattle and knock.

How did you tighten the crankshft and clutch bell nut; and the big nut that fastens the clutch to the driven pulley shaft?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I agree it sound like belt is not seated right.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
That would be my first though also. Shouldn't take but a few minutes to pull the cover off and check it. If the belt was not seated right then the primary pulley nut will be loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts