Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey u all,

First of all greetings from Greece. I am a proud owner of a AN400 K7 and since last summer i got issues with the performance of my bike. From start it rolls as if i m driving a kart. Higher rpm not a problem but down low i watch 50cc scooters passing me at the traffic light. Dont get me wrong, I am not a racing maniac, i love the cruising style of my burgman but i cant stand with this any more. i had a plate from the cvt changed last summer and it ran great for 3 months. After that the same problem still occurs..I've seen all the you tube videos an d some on-line discussions concerning the improvement of this model to this certain problem and i narrowed them down to
- Dr Pulley sliders 21g
- Polini speed bell

Any thoughts or any suggestions?

Thanks

P.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
There is only one way to sort this - and you are going to have strip out the CVT and examine it on the bench with the belt.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
a little more information please
0 to 30 mph time
0 to 50 mphtime
0 to 60 mph time
I realize youi will be in kilometers but that takes too long to type. we can convert

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Also, what is the width of your CVT belt?

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent touched the belt so its stock..and sadly i havent opened the lid of the cvt to check the width. i dont have the means or the proper knowledge..The mileage is 18000..

As far as the 0-60 mph measurement is about 7secs..
From what i've been told so far this is a very common problem with all the burgmans

Do you think changing the belt would make a difference?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My 2008 takes off like a rocket (dr pulley 19g).

Will the engine rev, but the bike doesn't move (fast enough)?
At 18,000 m you need to check the belt. And clean out the rubber dust from the variator. Easy job.

I would check the belt width. I don't know what the spec is though, should be able to use Search.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You can measure the belt width using a set of calipers that'll cost a couple Euros. (I think you said you're in Greece.)

The belt width makes a difference. At 18,000 miles, or is that kilometers, you could be due for a new belt. Many of us get 22,000 miles on ours, but we also don't do a lot of stop and go riding. The belt width will increase the rpms for any given speed.

The other thing to keep in mind is that many 50cc scooters are unrestricted, meaning they can go much faster than 30 mph. They have very little weight to move and will take off like a rocket for the first 100 yards. Your Burgman 400 is designed to slip the clutch some from 0-15 mph...but not as much as it sounds like you're doing.

I'd look for a friend with some very basic tools to help you take off the covers. We have tutorials here on BurgmanUSA and even videos showing how to do this.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok you guys

I'll try opening and cleaning the cvt, put on a new belt and maybe some new dr pulleys 19-20g.

I'll get back to you for status report..

Thank you all

P.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
just reading your post again - at 18,000 miles on Greek roads your belt is probably worn beyond spec BUT a worn belt normally trades off the high speed end of performance, whereas as you are reporting poor take off performance.

If your observation of poor performance is correct then you need to have a look inside - use Mitch's videos to help you.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
NormanB said:
just reading your post again - at 18,000 miles on Greek roads your belt is probably worn beyond spec BUT a worn belt normally trades off the high speed end of performance, whereas as you are reporting poor take off performance.

If your observation of poor performance is correct then you need to have a look inside - use Mitch's videos to help you.
agreed that belt would have to be worn down skinny as a snake pee pee to really cause performance problems at low end , but at 18,000 you need to get in there and check belt , clutch pads rollers/sliders etc and give it some tlc, don't even start without the magic bolts mentioned in the tutorial

1 - 11 of 11 Posts