Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the variater and I noticed there are four screws that hold the cover plate on, but the replacement is not drilled for screws. This is the plate that holds the rollers down. Does anyone know if I can install it without the screws?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Cary

How many threads are you going to run on this job! A lot easier if we kept the original one going!

Here is another Link which is not Burgman specific but is a bit close than the one I provided previously and which Bleeder kindly reminded me of above. :wink:

The Malossi Kit normally comes with a well illustrated procedure ( and I cannot put my hands on mine - which is intensely annoying). I am not familiar with the detail you speak of but I would urge caution here on in - my suspicion is that you have the wrong kit - I would verify with your supplier. I am off on a virtual hunt to see if I can turn up the correct kit number.

Stay calm brother - we will do our best to help! :)

PS: In the link I have posted here please identify the item number from the drawing (I think you are talking Item No 6).

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Further,

The correct Malossi part number for your machine (which I assume is a Fuel Injected 400 Burger) is 511389.

If you cannot find that part number on the kit - stop what you are doing and consult with your supplier.

I found an old pdf on the web, unfortunately it appears to pre-date the Burgman but from what is shows on Page 28 of 38 those screws are optional. Linky to PDF

However, I would not trust that document.

This is the best I can do for you at this stage.

Please keep on this thread Cary! :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Sorry even more.

Found an up to date PDF on the Italian site and it will be the same as the booklet that came with the variator. Linky to the correct product booklet

No mention of screws here optional or otherwise!

Please confirm you have the correct part number and identify by drawing and item number exactly which component you are talking about -and we will go from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to take up an extra thread. just got a little excited. The pictures you supplied where great for removing the cowling. Thanks Norman. On the link you supplied take a look at photo #7 on the original set up there was a cover that screwed down on top. The cover looks like the photo in # 10. The maloosi does not come with holes for that cover leading me to believe you don't need it. If you look at the scematic the cover goes over # 6 and screws to # 3. I hope it makes sense. I am sure I have the right kit. Thanks for all the hope.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Norman see the picture # 10a and 10b no such parts in the kit I got and the kit # I installedwas 511389. I guess that the molossi just does not use it for there kit. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Cary

I understand exactly what you are saying and I recognise the drawing and component numbers. It is just beyond my experience - the component indicated in Photo 10 is a 'grease container cover' which is really strange because I do not believe that you are supposed to use grease on the Burgman Variator roller paths.

If you are sure you can tally up the part numbers, I would go ahead and fit. That grease ring is not playing any part in the function of the variator nor does it 'hold the rollers in'.

But it is your risk - you could always try ringing/emailing technical at Malossi :!:

Good night - late here!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Cary

Well the posting on this was fairly fast and furious last night with 4 posts within 17 minutes and even one from each of us with the same time stamp - to the second!

Pausing for reflection - we are moving the state of information on this forum forward with respect to the Malossi Variator we will just need to tidy things up a bit once you have completed successful trials on your 'Snarling Svelte Burger!'

Probably the best way to tidy tings up is a 'How To' - you are taking pictures right?

I was reflecting this morning also on the problems or otherwise of leaving that component out. It is not going to effect the 'working dimensions' of the variator' so functionality will not be effected. Malossi deffo say no grease on this one - so no need for a 'grease catcher'. That is my take anyway (my opinion).

We are looking for payback here Cary - good pics and explanatory text - you will be the forum expert Malossi chap from here on in, I hope you have broad shoulders to bear this awesome responsibility!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Normanb has it right Cary..you are THE MAN now. We have Bleeder out in Ca with a kit (the one he so ruthlessly outbid me on) and should be hearing from him pretty soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help norman. The directions for getting the cowling off where excellent, there is nothing more to add then what your pictures show. I,ll post my review tommorow with all the particulars of the installation. It wasn't hard to install now that I did it; isn't that how it always is.

·
Registered
806 Posts
In addition to installation, I would be interested in some "cold hard" numbers in relation to performance increase and fuel mileage loss, if any. Just curious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have some pictures of my malossi conversion to post. Can someone tell me how? I will put them in the gallery. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Cary

There are some instructions on file size etc here

You also need to email/pm Greengoose for a password.

I have no webspace so I use the following method and it worked first time for me:

Format your pics (compliant with gallery instructions) and save them in one folder on your machine.

From the admin options at top right, use drop down to select 'add photos'
In next window that opens select the 'Form' tab and it is straightforward from there to upload your pics (even I can do it!!)

Once all pics are uploaded and your accompanying explanatory text are complete, review and reorder the pics so that the logical work sequence is maintained.

Then come out of the album to the 'index' or gallery page and you will see the first picture of your sequence - there is an option on this page against the album to rename or edit title. Do this but put your screename somewhere in the text (Like 'Sammy's K4 Snarler'). :wink:

Shout if you need any further help.

PS Hurry up! :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Malossi Pictures are in the gallery, what do you think? Takes about One hour to do now that I know how to do it, Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Outstanding. That will help tremendously when I change mine out. Particularly glad to see you were able to do it without the special tool. Extra hands (or mouths) is no problem around here :D

Peace.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well done on both counts Cary. Both the doing and the 'How to'. :)
:wav:
You have done the forum proud and that will be useful to a lot of people (including me). :wink: (Whats all this with 13/16ths an stuff - this is a metric machine! :lol: )

Now having been there and done that so to speak, do you believe that is essentially the belt change routine too - or can you see any way of shortcutting?

Also, if you have any more pics of the Malossi procedure (even if they do duplicate what is in the fitting makers instructions) could you post ' em up too - when you have some time.

Hows the bike performing for you now?

PS: I put a couple of comments against your pics in the gallery - hope you do not mind.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts