Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I would like to add to the advice about the primary shaft failure. I have an 2004 with the familiar deiseling sound which I improved the sound by working moly grease around the primary adaptor spline. But after doing a tour round France clocking some big mileage totals and started to notice the sound had changed. a few hundred miles later the pimary shaft spline had stripped. After stripping out cvt I found the the primary adapter spline was slightly worn but I could see the problem had been caused by the bearing seizing on the primary shaft reducing the diameter of the shaft allowing for oscilation to occur resulting in excess wear. So my advice is to take out the primary adapter gear regulary and check for any sign of wear on the inner cog. On the 2003/4 model there is a redisigned primary adapter gear from a guy in poland as refered to in previous threads, I would recomend this part as I just refitted one and it is machined perfectly to size and one post has said that many thousands of miles later was still in perfect working order. So when you have the loud deiseling noise do the modification it could save you a cople of thousand dollars.
Looks just like several I've done. Even had the shaft worn down on a '06. Haven't run across a messed up bolt like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi there,

I've a 2003 Burgman with aprox 66000km on the clock and am now facing the same dreaded issues that the last 23 pages are about!

I've ordered the Polish repair kit and intend to install it as soon as it arrives with me in Cape Town, South Africa.

Over the last month I've noticed a very high frequency vibration on the left side of the bike which is enough to numb my foot sitting on the footrest. It is engine-speed related. Yesterday I decided to investigate the issue as I thought it would be related to the spline wear of the primary adapter.

My observations:

- Used the compressor to blow out the crud behind the cover of the primary shaft. Three huge clowds of brown rust dust came out!
- The securing bolt was loose, it took almost no effort to remove it using a socket wrench. Little evidence of thread loc.
- Uneven wearing of the spines between adapter and shaft noticed, tight on the one side and gaps in the splines on the otherside.
- Decided to investigate if any shaft movement present. Put the socket back on the bolt and wiggled the socket extension bar up and down. Large movement noticed between adapter and primary shaft - video clip link:

https://www.facebook.com/gary.d.villiers/videos/10153784063366018/?l=862103458980707160

Please confirm that the movement is wrong and that I'm looking at having to pull the CVT out and replace the main bearing supporting the primary CVT shaft.

If I'm to pull the CVT, can you suggest what other components/bearings I should look at replacing whilst the CVT is open?

Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The loose bolt was the cause of the adapter moving as shown in my video clip!

I've tightened up the bolt as much as I can - the engine turns over - and will revisit this issue once my repair kit arrives from Poland.

At this stage, I think that the bearing in the CVT has not suffered and is probably still OK.

Checking this bolt on the new fix will become part of my service regime from now on.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
There is no way to tell for sure how much damage there is until the bike has been torn down . But from the looks of it it's not good , and it's a little late for the Polish adapter ? I would guess the primary pulley has been damaged , and overall there is more damage than the bike is worth . That said if you can find a low mileage wreck with an undamaged complete powertrain cheap enough , it might be worth fixing ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't know the cost or availability in South Africa but its an machine that will take more time and money to repair than it is likely to be worth unless you have an unusually unique situation. If that is the case then parting it out might also be profitable.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
GDV,
being 90% of 650 owners on BurgmanUSA live in USA where almost everything is "Throw Away". Most AN650 owners in other country's around the world, the replacement costs are very very high.

Try the Polish adapter. Make some plans on a replacement bike or a used CVT from any year AN650 from 2002 to 2012 and reuse the Polish adapter on that CVT.

Or do like me, ride it and not worry. I have 40,000 MILES (64,375 km) on my current 2003 AN650. If it fails, I will repair it or use the parts to fix another AN650.

My last 2003 made it to 54,000 miles (85,000 km) when the wrong oil (0W20) was used in the transmission and it spun a bearing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi everyone, thanks for the responses!

Yes, unfortunately the costs of repairing the Beloved Burgies in SA are high! Our currency is seeing its @rse thanks to our corrupt and incompetent government, import taxes and, of course, the stealership! :O

I'd already decided to implement what Dave_J suggested and that is to install the Polish fix and see how we go. I think it would be more of a risk for me to strip the bike and CVT down to nuts and bolts to potentially not find much wrong and to have to put it together again than to do the fix and ride the bike.

If a catastrophic failure occurs a while later, then I'll make the call to either buy a later model and scrap (sounds so wrong, my poor bike!!) my present bike. I've seen some posts regarding the belt life span of about 85000km, worst case, so I've not too long to go.

Gut feel, the primary bearing is actually OK. I must say, after I tightened up the bearing and sprayed in a bunch of WD40 onto the splines, the bike actually sounds and runs quieter! I'm hoping the Polish adapter arrives soon to eliminate at least the worn adapter. Having the adapter out of the bike will also allow me to see if there's any play on the shaft ie if the bearing is suspect.

I'm actually in the process of getting quotes for replacement front discs, pads and piston seals to do a major on the brakes... I think I'll hold off until the Polish fix has been done....

Thanks again for the responses!

·
Registered
204 Posts
2004 AN650 Exec. @ 26,000km.

I've also ordered the Polish kit & keen to install as i also have the 'death rattle'.

Pic of wearage attached & dry as a bone... no moly in site !

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I recieved the kit from czarnymirek & installed.

My scoot is so quiet now... the new Primary spline adptor by czarnymirek is solid, packed with grease & a good tight fit...

Awesome.

Highly recommend to get rid of that AN650 2003 - 2004 death rattle once & for all.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
I ordered a Polish Primary adapter for my 2003 Burgman 650 and it arrived today so I took some pictures. Some are blurry but you still can get the idea.

Link to post.

If you need one for your 2002 thru 2004 only, does NOT fit 2005 and newer, go here:

Link to Ebay Polish adapter.

Reactions: Mrchips

·
Registered
2 Posts
repair kit

I have tried everyone's links to purchase a repair kit from the Polish gentleman but seems he is not taking orders, can anyone provide a good link, Thanks Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
repair kit
I have tried everyone's links to purchase a repair kit from the Polish gentleman but seems he is not taking orders, can anyone provide a good link, Thanks Chris

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Chris, I have looked too and found nothing. What year is your Burgman 650?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
What! Look at the price of that thing! Is any 02'-04' 650 worth that? I guess it is if you want to restore it bad enough. But I don't think that they would sell very many of those at THAT price! 800 Bucks! Thank God is has Free Shipping! LOL

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
What! Look at the price of that thing! Is any 02'-04' 650 worth that? I guess it is if you want to restore it bad enough. But I don't think that they would sell very many of those at THAT price! 800 Bucks! Thank God is has Free Shipping! LOL
Price: 800.00 PLN (Polish Zioty)
Approximately US $197.40
:smile

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh yesss, very much worth it....

A bargain for such a robust & permanent fix. (20k km since i fitted mine). It's quiet (& i mean whisper quiet). You actually have to listen for the engine at idle to see if it's still running... it's really that quiet.

I removed it out of curiosity, to see if it had any wear & it was as prestine as the day i fitted it... Simply brilliant engineering... unlike Suzuki's '03 & '04 + onwards adaptors that explode from scoots innards like something out of alien!

All you hear is the turbine like sound of scoot spooling up through the revs... I'm going through indicator bulbs overtaking everything on my commutes :grin

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a 2003 burgman with a little over 23000 miles and I think the noise I am hearing might be the same thing.So did Suzuki have a recall on this problem and fix them? If I have to fix it is it a easy fix and will It be good for 20000 more miles or should I sell it and get a Honda?:frown

221 - 240 of 250 Posts