Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2014 model 57k miles. On the commute home lost drive FI light comes on. Got recovered and today stripped the bike down. I thought the belt had gone but I put a new belt in at 32k miles after my engine blew up. I went the Buffalo route (cheers buffalo) and jacked the frame up. Engine is still in the frame. Got the CVT off and found the primary pulley had stripped the splines. Just need to sell my soul wife and kids to get another pulley.
Only problems I faced were seized rear engine bolt and ringed out exhaust bolt. Torx bit hammered into the exhaust bolt resolved that issue. The engine bolt nut was seized and rounded off in the socket. Drilled down the side of the nut and split it with a chisel problem solved just need a new nut. CVT now in bits awaiting a new pulley

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,656 Posts
What does the Primary Adapter and long bolt look like? Was it tight?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry for yer troubles there Burgman friend. And this after a engine failure! Geez! Good luck and best wishes getting that thing back together and do keep us posted. Good thing your are mechanically inclined!

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Very nice lift. Sunk into the deck.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Very nice lift. Sunk into the deck.
Good Eye Fester, maccecht could you shoot some more pics and tell us about your lift in another thread...this thread will wipe a Burgman Grin off in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does the Primary Adapter and long bolt look like? Was it tight?
Dave no it appears to have come loose likely the cause of the failure. I am a bit annoyed as I put plenty of lock tite on it when I reassembled it last time.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've found that heat will loosen up stubborn bolts if you don't have a impact drill.
Heat is a well tested method unfortunately for me the particular bolt I had trouble with was right under the full Petrol tank.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
JIC - I did a quick search and did not find any thread or post describing the @Buffalo method to remove the CVT. Could you please enlighten me where I might find this information? :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JIC - I did a quick search and did not find any thread or post describing the @Buffalo method to remove the CVT. Could you please enlighten me where I might find this information? :)
Undo the engine bolts and a few other bits support the front of the engine and raise the rear of the frame until it clears the CVT. I used a jury rigged engine hoist from my shed roof. Buffalo used jacks. Both accomplish the same thing and reassembling will be much easier as when you drop the frame the engine bolts will pretty much line up. took me 4 hours could have done better but had a couple of seized bolts. I have stripped the bodywork many times so have got the knack of it.
Courtesy of Buffalo
https://burgmanusa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77017

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All back together with new shiney bits. I replaced the idler gears primary pulley bearing and oil sesl as a precaution. Parts in uk are expensive so got them from Italy. Cost £500. In uk they would have cost £800 doing the secondary pulley nut up to 165 ft lbs too a bit of grunt and a suitable stilson
wrench
20200222_091136.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts