Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a very nice 2007 650 Burgman from a retired dentist who had no clue to what he had. He had put less then 200 miles on it in the two years he had owned it. When I was looking at it I asked, how does it shift through the different gears and he had no idea what I was talking about. His answer was, " it's automatic, you don't shift it ". I preceded to show him the buttons on the left handlebar and he had no clue what they were for, or how they worked. I was nice about it and when I took a ride all worked as it should, so I let it rest. I guess he never read the manual either. Well, when you get to the end of your ridding days, I guess these thing happen. :rolleyes:

John

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well, when you get to the end of your ridding days, I guess these thing happen. :rolleyes:
End of his riding days? I think he had the 200 miles riding total. Ie there can't be an end without a beginning...

You, my friend, scored! I love these finds. Happens all the time. Guy decides he wants to ride and has more money than sense, buys a big expensive bike, bike sits for request number of years, real biker swoops in and gets a new bike for half price.

I once got $4k off the new price of a two year old 1100 with only 200 miles on the clock. Included helmets and intercom too boot.

I swear this is part of the motorcycle industry's pricing plan. How else can they justify car prices for a bike? Because they know the used market will knock a lot of low-milage bikes down to reasonable pricing the rest of us can afford. Its the nature of the MC business. One just needs to be patient.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I just purchased a very nice 2007 650 Burgman from a retired dentist who had no clue to what he had. He had put less then 200 miles on it in the two years he had owned it. When I was looking at it I asked, how does it shift through the different gears and he had no idea what I was talking about. His answer was, " it's automatic, you don't shift it ". I preceded to show him the buttons on the left handlebar and he had no clue what they were for, or how they worked. I was nice about it and when I took a ride all worked as it should, so I let it rest. I guess he never read the manual either. Well, when you get to the end of your ridding days, I guess these thing happen. :rolleyes:

John
I hope he read the "OWNER'S MANUAL" about dentistry when he was in practice.........;);)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have added that he had been riding a ST1300 until one year ago and the scooter was purchased as many of us do as a transition ride, but didn't workout for him.

John

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I should have added that he had been riding a ST1300 until one year ago and the scooter was purchased as many of us do as a transition ride, but didn't workout for him.

John
Well, none the less, there's still a lot of low milage bikes to be had out there at a fraction of the cost. I got my b650 with 3500 on the clock for 1/3 the price of new.

New bikes are fine if its a new model you really want, ride a lot and plan on keeping for a long time. But otherwise, shop used.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I know what you mean.

When I was searching to buy a 400 back in May, I saw a dealer ad for a 2009 with only 400 miles on it, for sale at a good price.

When I inquired on it, it had already been sold. Out of curiosity, I asked the dealership why the owner wanted to get rid of it in the first place.

He replied, "the previous owner was afraid of it".......

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I know what you mean.

When I was searching to buy a 400 back in May, I saw a dealer ad for a 2009 with only 400 miles on it, for sale at a good price.

When I inquired on it, it had already been sold. Out of curiosity, I asked the dealership why the owner wanted to get rid of it in the first place.

He replied, "the previous owner was afraid of it".......
LOL! My point exactly, personified.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Happens with all bikes. I bought my "used" KLR650 in January (Australian summer) this year off eBay, for 25% off the retail price - it was 3 weeks and 250 miles "old" with a full two year warranty. :)

The owner took a bath when he realised it wasn't for him. I asked him for the name of the dealer where he bought it as I wanted to check if the bike had a history. The dealer told me the KLR was fine and proceeded to show me the previous owner's trade-in - a 2012 Majesty also with 250 miles on the clock. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the KLR 650, I have owned four of them over the years and all were top notch bikes. I even had a 1995 model that they call the "Barbie Model", probably my favorite. I just sold one and looking for another as we speak, good luck with yours.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts