Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm worrying too much about our baby, the Burgie 400, but does anyone know whether there's something on the market to prevent damage to the hump area from sliding one's foot across it?

Bryna

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I am sure if you look around you will find all kinds of things you can use .
from clear plastic to something you can Velcro on. So far I have found just keep it waxed and it cleans up with the rest of the bike.

And here I though I was the only one scuffing the center hump. :wink:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Randy. Well, I'm glad I'm not alone! In my case, it's short legs that are to blame. OK, and maybe clumsiness :wink:

Bryna

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
There is a carpet protector available in Japan for the hump.....If your flying over to get one , smuggle back a few as I could use 1 as well. :D If your not flying over I guess I will stick to the Armour All for now.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Invincsum, take a look in the photo section folder called Leather seat and you will see the cover I had made for the hump.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leather hump mat

Roger,

That's really cool. Great-looking seat, too. How did you make it/have it made? Does it stay put with Velcro?

Thanks,

Bryna

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy said:
Remember the 650 does not have the gas door in the hump so cover could be permanent . 8)
Well, yeah. But don't forget to leave access to the retaining screw. That hump cover is really the engine hood, and it must come off for oil changes, idle speed adjustment, and other maintenance.

·
Registered
661 Posts
scuffing

I'm told some have put spray on truck bed liner on the plastic hump hood on the 650. I haven't tried that yet but did buy a thin, black rubber floor mat at advanced auto yesterday, made a paper template, cut the rubber and slapped it over the top and sides. Seems to be okay. Now to try riding it in place and see if it stays. It's pretty heavy so should stay there as there is little wind buffeting there.

I am pretty certain it will stay as when I rode it with the paper and carpet pattern cutouts they stayed. Was too rainy to ride yesterday but will try it this week.

The bike looks so nice I hate to scutt the darned piece of plastic with my size fifteen shoes.

The rubber floor mat is easy to slide off and so far no permanent mount needed.

If it doesn't work I'll consider trying the can of spray on truck bed liner I have now as well but will try it on another piece of plastic to see how it adheres first.

Lance
Chester, Va.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I just let it get scratched - then clean it up with shoe polish.

·
Registered
661 Posts
shoe polish

Simon,
I thought of that but the scratches show....and here in the states we don't wear shoes that much...more likely running or tennis shoes so don't have much polish. Without the need to shift, safety concerns aside, not all that many wear leather boots for riding these big scoots either. I take crappy enough care keeping the inside of my Blazer clean so the least I can do is keep the bike clean...it sits in a heated garage and stays that way, a fact my Blazer riding passenger wife has remarked on more than once.

She won't be getting the biker babe award of the year this year!

So....no gots no polish!

Have a great New Year's eve. Here in Virginia we have had the warmest December on record with no rain today and 60's over the weekend....

Lance
Chester, Va., USA

·
Registered
661 Posts
Center Mat

I'll take a photo and post it on her of the thin, smooth rubber mat I made out of a new truck floormat center section bought from Advanced Auto.

I saw the Japanese one but could never find where to order one so made my own.

Suggestions to Suzuki...make that plate out of a thin stainless or anodized aluminum sheet or something where it won't show scuffs or scuff.

Lance

·
Registered
661 Posts
Finished rubber Center Floor Mat

I took a couple of photos of the completed rubber floor mat that now sits on the hump to keep my big feet from scuffing the hump.

I bought a truck full width black floor mat of the thinnest quality they had at Advanced Auto and then made a paper pattern and cut it first for overall then trimmed it. I could and will add a bit more forward wing down low if I ever replace it but it looks fine for the purpose, is heavy enough to stay on, was cut with household scissors and if need be can be secured with double sided carpet tape which gives you access to the screw that holds the plastic "hood" in place to service the engine.

The two wings at the bottom appear not to be flat but that is where the rubber was folded over in the store in the package and will flatten out as it stays in that position.

Go to my gallery and see the album relative to the center floor mat. It is just one attempt but I believe will suit my purposes and be reasonably cheap without crapping up the appearance of a bike I love all that much!

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Lance62/Center+Floor+Mat/

Lance
Chester, Va

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Lance!

Congratulations, my friend. Nice job. That looks like it will do what you want it to do and at a very reasonable cost.

pr

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ride Test

I didn't get more than 69 mph indicated riding but at that speed the open sides which aren't yet quite flat floated a bit so I will I think put some double sided carpet tape under it on the sides and the top to keep it in place without even a thought.

Next time I may even use a thicker rubber mat so that it weighs more...though what I have now works fine.

Lance

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Lance, Nice job!

May I ask? Seems like a hook-loop (velcro) type tape might be better than double-sided carpet tape, since the mat overlaps more than just the removable engine cover, so it will need to be removed occasionally.. Or do you not think the carpet tape will get 'tired' from repeated on/off applications?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Re: Velcro

Good thought and I have thought of that and use it all the time for various other things but in my experience the adhesive backed velcro does not stick to either the rubber or the plastic on the bike when it gets hot and the whole thing comes off when I've done similar things. The velcro to velcro would but the adhesive on the back of each might not for the reasons I mentioned. It is the first choice though if it did.

I may try that but having done it inside a car and when the car heated up in the sun watched the adhesive turn to mush it wasn't my practical choice.

The places I intend to add double stick tape is two strips or three widthwise across the top of the removable plastic hood tomorrow and one or two down the sides of the removable hood only on each side. The rubber should press down and when you need to take it off you can just pull it off and retape it. The tape is usually good but does not last forever or is hard to pull off. I bought a roll five or six years ago and still have about 20 feet left so it isn't a big deal. It's all sitting on the bike now waiting for my energy to get in the garage and do it in the morning.

The other alternative is some kind of small bolt through on each side above with exterior cap nuts on small nut and bolt sets above where the plastic hood hooks on and in areas where the small bolts with washers would not hit or abrade anything inside the bike. I consider that a last resort as it actually works the way it is...but when I ride on the expressway the bike likes 75-78 mph and I don't want anything flying off if it would so will just take a mild precaution against that and replace the tape as needed.

I have ended up with a template for fit and can make more when need be now that I know what to do. As I said, I would make forward lower wings on the sides to add a little weight down lower and will also make the forward edge of the top part slightly curved backward to make it lay even flatter over the curved hump when I put the tape on tomorrow. I just do that with scissors and it will be no more than 3/8" to 1/2" curved. The perfect template in this would be a sort of t boned shape if you can envision that. I might also get a thicker rubber floor mat to cut up as it weighs more.

The japanese model is sort of carpet and three pieces with the middle one up over the id plate but straight across and the sides all the way down but I can't find out how to order it so am making do with my own sort of adaptation. What I've done is pretty economical for starters and has been very easy to do.

I'm a little surprised Suzuki doesn't offer some type of accessory or design that deals with this though it is just an appearance item with the almost certain scuffs from feet drug over the hump.

Lance

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got my first scuff today. I've got to make me one of these. Great idea!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
When Perfected

I think what I will do when I get the shape cut to the size I like best I will make a naughahyde template which I'll make available to the first person who wants it providing they are willing to mail it at no charge to the next person who has an interest in it. It did help to put the doube backed carpet tape across the top of the plastic hood then put the rubber down and it stayed on nicely even though the sides still move a little. I will make a template with more sides forward than the photos which will add weight and hold it in place easier yet.

Another approach would be to simply use the push pins that car makers use..drill four small holes in the rubber and the plastic hood then push the smallest pins in you can get from the auto stores and forget about it...save having a flap for the access screw for the hood. Too permanent for me but that would work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts