Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I just wanted to share some of the modifications I have done to my Burgman in preparation for a trip I'm taking with my girlfriend at the end of this month. We will be camping all along the way so I need a good bit of secure storage since I don't want to have to worry about someone stealing my gear while we will be away from it. As a result, I may have created the ugliest Burgman to grace this hallowed forum! Enjoy

First was the task of installing hard/waterproof saddlebags. The Fehling racks were back ordered indefinitely, so I fabbed up a pair of my own out of 1/2" steel tubing, mounted Pelican 1620's, and mounted my spare fuel bottles with bicycle water bottle holders.

I then installed a utopia backrest which is probably the most well made aftermarket accessory I have ever seen. I mean if you've been thinking about getting one, do it. Its ridiculously comfortable.

Next I fabbed up a rear rack and mounted a 28" waterproof tool box. I was hesitant to stick this on the back, but considering how cheap it was and how much more secure, waterproof storage it offered, I couldn't help myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just curious. After you have loaded everything for your trip, run the Burg across some certified truck scales (WITH you and your girlfriend along side) and check to see what the total gross vehicle weight actually is. Unless you and she are REALLY lightweight, I think you may be over the limit for your B400. Let us know.

Reactions: Bob510

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You know, its cute, in a bulldog kinda way. Tough and gruff looking, true. But looks like it has purpose, and I dig the heck that you're doing 5k camping trip, 2-up on a 400. That's awesome!

Reactions: Bob510

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think it looks good. Jealous you get to do such a great adventure. Keep us posted. Aloha!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I think it looks great, Willy! I particularly like the way you've attached the bottles. If your lady is coming along on a 5k mile camping trip, she is definitely a keeper!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I also think it looks great....good work....just a question ....

Where's the spare tire ??

Caught these guys up the James Bay Road circumnavigating the continent.

You'd be right at home. :D

Well done.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Looks real good.

Just a few comments which you may have already taken care of:

1. What about a backrest (cushion pad) for your passenger?
2. You are going to have pack very carefully and think CofG :
A. Heaviest under the seat.
B. Next heaviest in the panniers load evenly.
C. Top Box - reserve for the bulky but low density stuff.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Looks real good.

Just a few comments which you may have already taken care of:

1. What about a backrest (cushion pad) for your passenger?
Agreed with all the comments. Functional==beauty in a different sort of way.

Regarding the backrest, I'd simply use a pillow in plastic or camp pillow. Strap it on with a bungee if desired. If it's wrapped in a trash bag no one will steal it, just go in the restaurant and enjoy your meal. :)

Have you mentioned the itinerary here or in another thread? Please keep us posted. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'd be most concerned about the panniers. Do you have a solid frame attachment on the bottom? You probably don't want to have vertical loads on the grab bars since the bolts are screwed into nuts molded into plastic.

From the final picture I think you may have developed the AN400'GS'.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
A tip of the hat to you. More so because you welded stuff yourself ;)

Yes check the GVW please.
What will you do about tires on your trip? Especially the rear one, I doubt that you will get 5,000 miles out of a new one, with all of that weight.

I think my 400 is great, for short rides with 2-up, but I think it would be overworked for a long trip with gear and 2-up. Just doesn't have the sruplus power needed for pullling long hills, or making merges onto the insane slabs. Riding alone would be ok. Personally, I would take a KLR650 "GS" if I was touring with 2-up. Or my trusty first-gen Concours.

Good luck to you, check in to let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
For such a trip HiT and lighter SR wouldn't be redundant at all. Transfers the scoot to 450 cc in terms of thrust, perhaps just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the compliments!! I figured I was going to get roasted haha.

Weight wise, I'm 180 and my girlfriend is 130. We have a lightweight backpacking tent, sleeping bags, and two thermarest pads. Aside from some clothes, we're not bringing much else. I think we will be right at the limit. The sleeping bags and thermarests will be in the top box, so it shouldn't effect the COG too much.

I'm working on a back pad for the top box. I've got the foam all set up and i'm going to sew a vinyl envelope with a flap to velcro to the top of the box and hang down.

The side cases have 3 mounting points. Two in the grab rail and one on the tie-down loops. They are super solid, but like you said, with the plastic, it's not optimal.

Chatman: I did take my luggage ideas from the BMW adventure bikes haha

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just put new pirelli diablos on it. Worst case I'll get a new rear tire at a dealer if it gets too bad. I know they're are much better bikes for something of this magnitude but I like scoots and its fun being somewhat of an underdog. I had a 1st gen concours which was awesome but i quickly tired of the weight. If some kind of catastrophic failure happens, i'll probably just sell/donate it and fly home. I picked this up super cheap, so it wouldnt be the end of the world.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sounds like you've thought this over, good luck again :)

I am itching for a road trip- once this horrible Southern heat and humidity ease a bit to make touring fun instead of miserable.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just put new pirelli diablos on it. Worst case I'll get a new rear tire at a dealer if it gets too bad. I know they're are much better bikes for something of this magnitude but I like scoots and its fun being somewhat of an underdog. I had a 1st gen concours which was awesome but i quickly tired of the weight. If some kind of catastrophic failure happens, i'll probably just sell/donate it and fly home. I picked this up super cheap, so it wouldnt be the end of the world.
We just put Pirelli Diablos on ours. They stick very well, but are soft. My hunch is that you will be at the end of the tread after 5000 miles. It pays to plan ahead, keep a list of dealers along your route, and call to see if anyone has a scooter tire on the shelf. In my experience, no one stocks them because they are such an odd size. If you need one along the way, you will likely have to wait for it to be ordered. Something to consider...

Have fun. Ride safe.
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

·
Registered
345 Posts
I like that top tool box. I want to ditch my Bestem rattle box and do what you did.
Where can I buy one like that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts