Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the years, I have always try to predict gasoline prices, with no avail. There is even a website called fuel caster that claims to predict gas prices but it is inaccurate and I have tried using it for with no luck. There was a period where I relied on fuel caster and as the price of gasoline was increasing, fuel caster said that it was decreasing so I know that it does not work. Can anyone tell me some surefire clues on knowing when gasoline prices will go up and down? What are the factors that play a key role in increase and decrease of gasoline prices? All I know in the summer they usually go up because more travel. Obviously, storms and wars in the Middle East can also affect gas prices on the US.

But what exactly lowers them, and how can we predict price of gasoline accurately?

Is there no way to predict with reasonable accuracy of the price of gasoline? Are we Americans, hungry for gasoline, doomed?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more question, is using ethanol free gasoline really justifiable by the higher price? For example, I have a gas station that sells 10% ethanol at $3.80 per gallon. I have another gas station that sells ethanol free gas at $4.65 per gallon. What's a higher gas mileage really justify the extra dollar, is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
There is no sure fire way to predict gas prices. To many things other than supply and demand affect the price. Gasoline as well as the crude it is refined from both trade as commodities. That means that everything from politics to plan old fear of what is to come to common greed can cause the price to fluctuate in a direction contrary to what supply ecomonics say it should.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why do you lament over this and where in the heck do you live paying $4.65 per gal. of gas?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
When ethanol free gas was selling for $.40 a gallon more than 87 octane ethanol gas I bought ethanol free gas. When it went to $1.00 more a gallon I quit putting it in the scooters I ride regularly. I still use it in my car and the scooters I rarely ride because it stays fresh longer.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
For me, The first line of the serenity prayer always come to mind when it comes to gas prices.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me, The first line of the serenity prayer always come to mind when it comes to gas prices.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There is no way to predict the gas prices, because they have no basis in reality. The price is raised whenever "they" want, and lowered whenever "they" want, and we don't even know who "they" are!
One of the major news stations tried to figure it all out a couple of years ago, and even with all their resources working on it, they couldn't figure it out either. (How the prices are set.)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The conspiracy theory is that the Illuminati, the global elite, control these things to influence the world governments and people. Raising gas prices and funding people to cause wars are just some things they do to usher in the New World Order. Lowering gas prices makes them more "undercover," but in fact they are the ones responsible for doing it. Not that I have any proof, but this is the theory that I heard.

Of course, its very hard to prove but if you look up "Illuminati Conspiracy Theory" you may find some interesting plausible answers.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I guess you could attribute it to some grand conspiracy but I think it is much simpler than that. It just the vagueness of the primary force that drives the prices of any commodity, speculation. All it takes is a group of investors or even one big investor thinking that supply and/or demand are going to more in a certain direction. They make a bet on that hunch hoping to make a profit off the move when it happens. That in turn drives the price in a given direction as others jump on the band wagon.

The problem is it is almost impossible to predict ahead of time what someones hunch will be. It's like trying to determine the direction the stock market will move for exactly the same reason. All the things we hear about like war and storms and other causes are just the triggers for the hunches that fuel the speculation.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Lot of truth in that...currently tho demand is falling and there is glut...

just need another war.....oh wait ...;)

You guys have it good in the US.

Try $6 a gallon in Canada and $7 in Australia and you'd have a heart attack in the UK and some parts of EU

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I guess you could attribute it to some grand conspiracy but I think it is much simpler than that. It just the vagueness of the primary force that drives the prices of any commodity, speculation. All it takes is a group of investors or even one big investor thinking that supply and/or demand are going to more in a certain direction. They make a bet on that hunch hoping to make a profit off the move when it happens. That in turn drives the price in a given direction as others jump on the band wagon.

The problem is it is almost impossible to predict ahead of time what someones hunch will be. It's like trying to determine the direction the stock market will move for exactly the same reason. All the things we hear about like war and storms and other causes are just the triggers for the hunches that fuel the speculation.

I was going to make the same point...you said it much better than I ever could.

Here in America it's mainly our government that prevents us from allowing the price to drop.

We here are dependent on foreign oil for one huge reason. Our politicians have restricted us from digging for our own oil. US companies are restricted from exploring and producing on federally-owned land as well as off our coasts. This is a tragedy given that there are potentially huge amounts of oil that can be recovered cleanly and efficiently .

Then there's this issue...About two-thirds of the oil in known oil fields is being left in the ground. Existing technologies could extract far more oil.....as much as about 75 percent more...They're leaving as much as 75% of the oil in the ground. Why? Government restrictions.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
and that is exactly where it needs to be left.
Fossil fuel age is coming to a close just as the whale oil age before it.....

In the latter is was merely the cetaceans that suffered.

In the current case ....the entire biome.

Time to move on......tho it will be a decades long transition. Coal will be the first to go....but represents the largest challenge globally.

Oil takes longer as a storable, refillable fuel source is hard to replace. Elon Musk is hurrying that process along.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I remember in the 1970's there was a "oil shortage"....lines of cars stretched for 1/2 mile.

Global oil reserve estimates are fictional. We really have no idea how much we have. Why? Because it doesn’t pay to tell the truth when it comes to oil. It doesn’t serve OPEC, and it doesn’t serve our politicians either. Ask yourself why is it that no government questions the figures?
If we keep allowing our politicians to be our nannies we then deserve to continue to pay the high prices we do.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I just use GasBuddy.com to find the cheapest. :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Came across this today...

U.S. gasoline prices are the lowest in four years following a drop in crude oil futures, the nation's largest motorists group said. The average price at the pump dropped to $3.33 a gallon on Thursday, down 10 percent from this year's high, and the lowest for the month of September since 2010, according to the AAA.

With crude oil futures hitting their lowest levels since 2012 on Thursday, the price at the pump is expected to fall even further. AAA is forecasting the national average for gasoline will drop below $3 in the coming months, rivaling 2009 prices. "We are seeing prices go down for a number of reasons. It's the end of the summer season, and there's a huge amount of domestic production that is helping drive crude oil prices down, and there were no hurricanes," AAA spokesman Robert Sinclair said in a telephone interview.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/energy/gas-prices-drop-four-year-low-oil-tumbles-n217581

·
Registered
857 Posts
and that is exactly where it needs to be left.

In the latter is was merely the cetaceans that suffered.

In the current case ....the entire biome.

Time to move on......tho it will be a decades long transition. Coal will be the first to go....but represents the largest challenge globally.

Oil takes longer as a storable, refillable fuel source is hard to replace. Elon Musk is hurrying that process along.
Cool, I want a nuclear powered Burgman.... :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
No one knows how much oil is in the ground...not even the experts.
I take that comment with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Me too.....tho you can have a nuclear powered Maxi now,

40% of our power is nuclear plant ....plug said Vectrix into wall = scooter with carbon neutral foot print :D

Ontario went from 25% coal to zero in 10 years...it can be done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts