Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went for a ride in my first torrential downpour I got about six miles from the house, stopped at a stop sign went to take off and the RPM's went to almost 4000 before I moved, normal is 2800. Once it started I got to about forty and the RPM's went up again like I was spinning then back to normal. So I pulled in under an awning and started looking at everything and come to find out he left the seal/gasket off of the belt drive and it was soaked. If this is normal then I think they messed up. Anybody?

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Someone cut a corner and forgot to put that gasket on correctly. So yep, someone messed up. Now, what is the damage? Can it dry off and be OK? Or a new belt is in order? Who to blame and who's going to pay? Sorry I don't have the answer for ya.

This is one of these questions I have wanted to know, what if the rubber-band belt on a 400 gets wet. I got the CVT on my 03 650 very wet and it is not a good thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you let the belt/bike dry and then put some sort of gasket/sealant on the gap then you'll probably be fine in the next torrential downpour but you could always replace the belt just in case...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Go back and ask them for a new gasket after explaining what has happened. Ask them to fit it. It's an easy job but no reason for you to get your hands dirty.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
This is one of these questions I have wanted to know, what if the rubber-band belt on a 400 gets wet.
While I have not purposefully shoved a hose in my CVT before, I have driven in plenty of down pours (no issues), and threw plenty of deep puddles I should have avoided (slight issues). From my experience, its pretty much a none-issue. The CVT is pretty basic when it comes to that, no more than getting the belts on your car wet a little. The shear friction heat would nearly instantly dry it off. Only thing I ever noticed was a little clutch slippage the next few take offs, but after that once it dried itself out, its fine.

Biggest 'damage' I would assume could possibly happen would be if you were on and off the clutch in a short amount of time (stop and go traffic), then dousing the clutch/bell with water, might cause some warpage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts