Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(2006 Burgman 650 with 37k miles)

My Burgman is making a grinding noise when it's running, and it won't shift into 2nd gear, but when I put it in manual mode the noise stops. Unfortunately in manual mode the noise comes back when I try to shift it into 2nd gear. The FI light did come on a couple times the month before it stopped shifting, but I didn't think anything of it because it was 110 degrees out (Phoenix AZ) and the bike ran fine.

I tried searching the forums for someone with a similar problem, but I had a hard time finding much information with the keywords I was using other than the centerstand switch fix. I read in one thread that if the noise stops when you put it in manual mode, it might be the PPS. Before I drop $175 for a little sensor, can anyone tell me if the PPS is definitely the problem?

If anyone that's had a similar problem can verify this, then my next step is to take the tupperware off and test it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hN6nzuIjJ1ZG59cnjQb36yBwYMij_lu2QwCH5FGFvCg/preview

Cheers,
Ron

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
The grinding noise indicates your problems are probably bigger than the PPS. More likely there are internal problems inside the CVT. However it won't hurt to test the PPS.

You can remove the PPS and manually move the plunger in and out to see if it moves smoothly. If it does not then the sensor may be bad. You can also use a multimeter to test the resistance between either the Lbl/y or Bl wire and the B wire. The resistance between either and the B wire should be 1.9-2.3 compressed and 0.2-1.0 extended. The resistance should also vary smoothly as the plunger is compressed and extended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Buffalo. I was afraid of that. I think I'm just going to sell it for parts. I don't have time to pull it open and inspect/fix everything. I need to get out of Arizona as soon as possible. Gangbangers broke into my house, stole my guns, and pop off rounds by my house. I think they want to kill me. I guess we can't all get along.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts