Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the Powerlet RapidFIRE jacket liner with dual remote controller set and a pair of glove liners for Christmas. So yesterday a installed the connector on my 650, which took less than 10 minutes, quick and easy to install the pre fused powerlet cable to the under seat battery on the 650. I hooked the wire through the helmet clip under the seat as a precaution on accidental pulls on the cable. This allows me to store the capped plug with the tool kit when not in use and give a good length of play for plugging it into the jacket. As the jacket lead is on the left side it also placed the plug conveniently.

After installing the wire I worked on the Jacket, instructions are simple enough, however I did fine the colour brochure style a little hard to follow, come on guys advertise in a glossy brochure but give me clear simple black and white printed instructions for set up and use. Any ways the jacket is light enough with a comfortable lining, sure the wireless controller receiver adds some weight and places it all in one spot but what can you do. There are no hand pockets which is a bit disappointing if you want to wear it on it's own after riding, but there is one large front pocket with a cell phone type pocket inside. On the inside there are two small zippers on the left and right sides. On the right is one connector which you can leave plugged in for a claimed 105 watt heating or just unplug it and your jacket operates at 60 watts. Handy for power savings, although I have not tested the heat at 60 watts yet. (More to follow I guess). The left zipper exposes the main connectors, which are nicely colour coded. You have a yellow connector which comes plugged in to a lead and a red connector. The Yellow connector can be left plugged into the factory lead for use with a single controller, or as with my dual controller you unplug the yellow lead and plug it into the yellow lead of your controller receiver. The red plug goes into the red lead on your controller. The entire controller package can now be zipped up into the pocket and leave the long cord from the receiver dangling.

There is also a large zipper in the back which allows you to fold the jacket up into an attached pouch for convenience.

The glove liners are very light and I can not feel any wiring except for right up at the connector. They fit very snug and fit well inside my icon Patrol winter gloves. At the wrist is a Velcro flap for opening which has the plug on it. This plus directly into the sleeves of the jacket, which have small zippers at the cuffs concealing a length of wire lead.

The wireless controller uses 2 aaa batteries which come supplied and has a drop cord and Velcro for attachment. There are two prominent dials, one yellow for gloves and one red for the jacket, along with a yellow led and red led to match. In order to pair the controller with your receiver you simply turn on the red dial, wait for the red led to light up and then turn it off again 3 times. After the 3rd time the leds start to flash and you then plug in the jacket cord to the bike and then turn on the heat. The instructions said it might take a try or two to get it right but mine worked first time.

I Velcroed the controller to the underside of the left hand control switch box, where it fits perfectly. However after some road time I think I might move it to the right hand side as there is alot going on now over on the left and I'm finding it is messing up my turn signal use, and I find it finicky to set the temp while riding with the congestion of switches there. Nothing to do over on the right except the starter switch, so I think I'll try that next.

So I suited up and took them for a spin round town, it was 5c according to my dash display and a nice BC drizzle was on. So pretty good weather for a test run. I can say I an very glad that I got the dual controller as setting the jacket and gloves at the same temp would be much less than desirable... This system uses carbon fiber and Far Infrared to heat up, no idea how that works other than no wires running all over... I can say it heats up fast and gives a nice warmth all over, arms and torso. The gloves heat all the fingers and the top of your hand, when enclosed in my icon winter gloves they get very hot. Riding on the highway at 100kph-110kph I never needed the gloves to be more than half and I think I had the jacket between 1/4 and 1/3 maybe? The jacket was always set a little less than the gloves were. I did need to play with the jacket temp a bit to get the arms just right, which did heat up the core a bit more when stopped but once moving it was quite nice.

I will need to ride a bit more to get comfortable with the extra bulk on my hands, right now my everything feels tight when riding and using the lights, horn and throttle. But I can say the powerlet sizing charts seem right on. Although the jacket is a bit snugger than I'm used to, it does fit and doesn't seem to impair my movement.

I have never used any heated gear before so I have no comparison, but I like them, they are easy to set up and use, they get very hot and get there fast. I plan on trying the jacket at the 60 watt setting to see how it does. If I'm warm enough at 60 for the jacket I might leave it there to spare the electricity, it is more for the hands anyways. I'll post an update after I try that out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I've had a chance to use these a bit more. I've set the jacket up for 60 watt and still find it keeps me toasty. At 60 wat I have to turn it up higher. Maybey just over 50% compared to 35% on 105 watt. The gloves are nice right around 45-55%.

I moved the controler to the handlebar tupperwear on the left, turns out the right was no god as the throttle cables are in the way. So now its just inside of the contros to not hamper my use of turnsignals.

I did replace the kind of useless velcro that cones with it. It fell off aftrr about a week. So I used my own industrial velcro.

Overall I'm quite happy with these.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.