Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I detailed my Moonpie yesterday. I used spray-on foam tire dressing (BlackMagic Tire Wet Foam). Looked beautiful.

About 4 hours later I was summoned to a pool party about 30 miles north of me. Well - I love pool parties, and I just had to go.

Donning all of my safety gear, with my mind on upcoming events, I forgot about the greasy stuff adorning Moonpies sneakers.

I had just dabbed the power mode to "downshift" while approaching an intersection that I had to turn right on - more than a simple 90 degree right...- more like a 105 degree right, with a wierd off camber slant. I got set up for the corner and entered as planned, and, as usual, about 2/3rds of the way thru i went ahead and rolled into it pretty good (still in power mode) - and what happened? the big pie started to powerslide. i didnt over compensate because it didnt "kick out" - but it did start to slide out just as if you were on a dirt bike. i kept the throttle steady and she just finished her little tail wag and we went about our way.

be careful of that stuff.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I never ever ever ever EVER use tire dressing of any kind on a motorcycle, for obvious reasons. Glad you didn't go all the way down, Pete.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bechtoea - no kidding. 100 percent correct. I should have known better. I had used the stuff before without and ramifications. Now I know.

Even tho it startled me, and, thankfully it didn't just keep on goin around and out from under me, I have to say that that was one of the coolest sensations i have ever felt on a street bike. kind of like a racing bike in slow motion.

No more of that stuff for me. If I "prep" my tires from here on in it will be with something that i specifically wipe on (away from the contact patch.)

thanks for the kind words.
peat. :oops:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just last weekend for a motorcycle show I attended in New York I put some tire shine on my burg tires but only on the side where the letters are not where any treads are as I know that part will never touch the road when I take a corner.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm glad to hear that turned out to be just a bit of a clencher and not a slider. I never put anything on my tires only because deep down inside I'm lazy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That's me, Lazy. You ever wash a regular motorcycle? What a pain in the arse. Ease of washing is on the long list of reasons I converted from Motorcycles to Scooters. It's like washing a small car..less than 20 minutes start to finish. A half an hour if you decide to wax the painted bits.

It took that long to wipe down the chrome on my CX500 "dresser."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Power mode, tire dressing, and power slides

You should think twice before you use tire dressing on bike tires. Even if you are careful and wipe it off, it cn still run on to areas you don't want it to coat. Had two freinds (very experienced riders) go down due to tire dressing. One was even run over by the rider following him into the turn.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
bechtoea said:
That's me, Lazy. You ever wash a regular motorcycle? What a pain in the arse. Ease of washing is on the long list of reasons I converted from Motorcycles to Scooters. snipped."
To be honest I find washing the Lardy (and the Svelte before it) a real pain in the arse.

This is particular so this time of year here in the Uk when it is really important to wash the salt off and thoroughly. To add to the pain of course it is bloody cold and there you are spraying cold water around and getting on your knees and giving the underside a good brushing as well as gentle hosing. The rear of the lardy on the muffler side is difficult to access around the swing arm too and needs a universal joint in your wrist to work a veritable collection of brushes through the various nooks and crannies.

I have heard good things about this product and I feel the need to get the bike naked and give it a real thorough clean (with all those old tootbrushes I collect! :lol: ) and then give it a real good application of ACF.

Anyone used ACF?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Norm, never heard of ACF before, but willing to give it a try. Have the leg guards off my 650 at the moment, doing a valet job on the underside. Was going to use Scotoiler FS365 protector, but a bike shop just a mile away has this ACF, so, off to buy some when the place opens. Had it not rained yesterday, the bike would have been done with FS365.

Edit : Only place within 50 miles that has the stuff is not open on a Monday, so job done with Scotoiler, sorry, no report on ACF.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts