Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried it for the first time,

I saw a message on the dash that it was on, it sort of felt like a slight down shift in a car, and the motor sounded different,
but where was the power ???????????

Hit the button again and the message went away, the bike felt smoother ???

What the heck is it there for and what is it supposed to do ????

Doug

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Calling it a power button probably wasn't one of Suzuki's brightest ideas. What it does is exactly what you felt. It drops the gear ratio in the CVT so the engine spins a little faster. In a way that does give you a little more power as it lets the engine more a little further up into it's power band. But it doesn't make the engine produce any more power than it otherwise would.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just liken it to a passing gear.It does help in certain situations but for normal riding you would never use it.

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
All it seems to really do is bump the cruising rpm up about 1,000-1,500 rpm. As the others have stated, look at it like a passing gear However, it does take a sec. or so to engage, so you will need to anticipate it's use. It's NOT a panic button.

I mainly use it in very hill twisties, and passing, but that about it.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Jim said:
All it seems to really do is bump the cruising rpm up about 1,000-1,500 rpm. As the others have stated, look at it like a passing gear However, it does take a sec. or so to engage, so you will need to anticipate it's use. It's NOT a panic button.

I mainly use it in very hill twisties, and passing, but that about it.
its very similar to the 'Sport" mode on the Aprilia Mana. it would be more appropriate for suzuki to lable it just that.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me use for pass car & other motorcycle, use up/down mountain road when need more power up/engine brake down, in twisty mountain rroad/curves, red light & stop sign to imbarass Hardlie bike on start. 85% normal in auto mode only

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
:thumbup: you got it.

OP it's generally for riding aggressively - Sport setting would be more correct and I think it's essential feature for many riders who are coming from sport bikes.

The ability to do this is a standout feature for me for the Burgman.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I ike the ower button.. I don't use a lot of braking in twisties (engine braking) anf you have good torque on he other side of the turn and for stop signs and so on... helps to slow down.. a great feature..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use the power Button on when I want a little more RPMs and a faster start up to get up to speed or in low speed turns and twisties. Don't really need it or use it much, but it is nice to rev it up sometimes!

But I have found that the best use for it is when driving at low speeds and trying to maintain a steady speed at 20 MPH in our housing/resort area. It makes it easier to maintain the low speed and slows the upshifting.

Most of the time I use the regular drive mode. I have found the engine braking a little stronger in the 2012 exec than in my previous 2008 model. So I do not use it as much in the newer bike than in the 2008. Maybe I am just getting more comfortable with it but it does seem the engine braking in normal drive mode is more in the 2012 model and I seem to use power mode less in the new model bike.

I think the SECVT is a marvel in effective use of the engine power and even without the power botton or manual mode would be a great transmission. I feel the power mode and manual shift just give you some additional flexibility and make it even better. I find using the manual mode good for reducing engine braking at times and also allows one to shift into Overdrive a little earlier when cruising at 55-60 on level roads.

I love the Burgman and the SECVT!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I think of it's turning off the overdrive, on my jetta ith a dsg gearbox it behaves the same , it allows th engine to stay in the power band( maybe why thy called it power

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gbjbany said:
I think of it's turning off the overdrive, on my jetta ith a dsg gearbox it behaves the same , it allows th engine to stay in the power band( maybe why thy called it power
What exactly do you mean by "overdrive" ??
Is there a setting for "overdrive" ??

I was expecting the "Power" button to do something like maybe give me more power.
What i got was something else , to say the least.
I am, at best not impressed with that feature :roll:

Gee, I can't wait to try the manual/electronic shift mode :roll:

In the short time i have owned the machine, I think it is over stated to say it's much more than a slightly heavy twist on a Goldwing light.
The weather protection alone is one of the best benefits the Burgman possesses. At least as good as most bigger touring machines and probably better than many. The handling is pretty good, the suspension is poor.

One thing that concerns me is ; to do even the simplest maintenance you have to lay on the floor to do it.
Does anyone use a bike lift to make these simple chores as simple as they should be ????

Doug

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dandy,
Over drive is used while in the manual gears... next time you are on the slab... cruising along at 75 or so, put it into manual mode.. You'll see the gear is in "5"... Shift it up to "6".. the RPM's drop down and that is over drive.. I shift out of overdrive back to auto as I approach the exit.. or if traffic is slowing down..

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
DandyDoug said:
What exactly do you mean by "overdrive" ?? Is there a setting for "overdrive" ??
I think it is 'DD' = 'direct drive', not 'OD'= 'overdrive' You will find that driving in manual DD as against auto will drop the revs and save you much fuel. I use manual all the time on long trips.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Noth said:
Dandy,
Over drive is used while in the manual gears... next time you are on the slab... cruising along at 75 or so, put it into manual mode.. You'll see the gear is in "5"... Shift it up to "6".. the RPM's drop down and that is over drive.. I shift out of overdrive back to auto as I approach the exit.. or if traffic is slowing down..
I was not aware that it was ok to shift in to manual mode, or out of it while underway :?:

Maybe i need a more complete tutorial on this machine and all the functions :oops:

·
Registered
739 Posts
You can shift in and out of manual anytime.. Push the yellow manual button while underway & it will show the gear it happens to be in then and will stay in that gear unless you shift up or down... There is a control though that doesn't allow you to shift into a completly unacceptable gear.. like a higher gear while stopped and so on.. while in manual mode & moving, just push the yellow button again and it goes back into standard auto mode.. no problem.. so while on the slab and at 75, you can hit the yellow button again and it will simply go back into normal auto mode..

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
In manual, If you try to upshift when going too slow the gear indicator light will flash telling you to speed up.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
peelbrow said:
In manual, If you try to upshift when going too slow the gear indicator light will flash telling you to speed up.

In FL, when going too slow, the driver behind you will provide muzzle flashes, telling you to speed up.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Noth said:
You can shift in and out of manual anytime.. Push the yellow manual button while underway & it will show the gear it happens to be in then and will stay in that gear unless you shift up or down... There is a control though that doesn't allow you to shift into a completly unacceptable gear.. like a higher gear while stopped and so on.. while in manual mode & moving, just push the yellow button again and it goes back into standard auto mode.. no problem.. so while on the slab and at 75, you can hit the yellow button again and it will simply go back into normal auto mode..

So let me get this straight; if i am in drive mode I only get 5 gear ratios .
If I am in manual mode I get 6 ratios ?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Not quite - you can force 6th gear in manual - under the right conditions the ECVT will go there on it's own but if you want to hypermile then you can take control of the timing of that.

If you bike is new then I'd not get too free with either manual or Power button until you've got it properly broken in.

I found both 650s I've had that started with low mileage had a bit of a "buzz" to them that smoothed out as the bikes got in the 12k miles range.

Once the break in is over don't be shy to wind the 650 out - the Power button is most effective off the line to about 60-70 mph and when riding twisties aggressively with heavy braking/engine braking and full throttle out.
This is a mildly tuned motor with a decently high RPM redline ( unlike the NC700 ) and it can be pushed without fear of damage.
Sustained high speed at 90-100 mph I found used some oil on my 2005.

If you don't ride that way then the Power button will be of little use and it eats fuel

The CVT has some built in protection when in manual mode to prevent serious lugging but with a new machine I'd avoid it for now.
Any casual riding I do is entirely with the standard setting with the occasional Power button off the line as circumstances dictate :D.
I rarely use the overdrive in manual except on long downwind slab runs where I can sit at 3500 rpm or so and still at 60 mph or so.
Setting the Trip Meter to show your mpg will show you how well you are doing in real time as far as mileage performance goes.

Give you and 650 some time to get acquainted....like many here you may find the Burgman 650 the best all around machine that you can tour with, ride the twisties with and go shopping with.
43 years - best machine I've owned that wasn't special purpose.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts