Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have just acquired a Baehr intercom set for my Burger 400(the Basic Plus, if anyone cares) and am now pondering the related questions of (a) where to stash it and (b) how to tap the bike's power to run it.

The Baehr folks suggest installing the device in the underseat compartment, which looks like a pretty good choice. But it raises some questions. Is the lowered seat likely to crush the cables which would have to hang out for helmet connections, etc.? Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, how would one tap bike power in that location? There are bundles of wires running through the air filter area just in front of the underseat area, but I see no way to determine which wires can safely be tapped, since I have no maintenance manual for the bike. I supose dipping into tail light wires would be a workable idea.

I also considered installing in the glove box -- with power at hand in the "cigarette lighter" feed -- but that means cutting a hole in the glove box door for a thick bunch of connector cables and running them all the way back to the rider and passenger positions, which seems undesirable. But who knows? Maybe it's the best way to go.

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. I figure someone on this board must have dealt with a similar problem. And, frankly, the Baehr gear is so expensive that I sure don't want to goof it up in the installation.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Aww, c'mon ... more than 70 reads, but no replies?! :(

You can't mean to tell me that none of you inventive souls out there have tapped the Burgman's power system to add on radios and the like. There's GOT to be a way other than through that annoying plug in the glove compartment.

How 'bout a little help here, friends?

--Chris Lucey

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lucey and Lucey,

Apologies, I can't help with this as I have no experience of this system at all. I hope someone who owns this system will help you out soon, or that you have found a solution already.

Best of luck
Lycheed

·
Registered
733 Posts
Remove the cig. adaptor from glovebox and reinstall it in under the seat,
then everything is @ hand from under your seat

You could buy a second adaptor and piggy back the wire from oem adaptor and run with two - one in glovebox and one under seat.

Greg ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Baehr Ultima installed under the seat. The headset cables hang out from under the seat with no problems. I have the passenger headset cable dressed over the the top of the Givi Soft Scooter Saddlebags so the wife can easily make the connection. My cable hangs out next to the hump.

I tapped into the rear of the adaptor power plug and ran a cable under the frame and into the Baehr Intercom. You remove the plastics from around the handlebar easily to gain access to the rear of the adaptor power plug. I also tapped into the fuse box FAN fuse to get unswitched power for my trucker CB Radio and AM/FM/MP3 car radio. The radio and CB are mounted under a bar that spans the handlebars, and fits nicely between the handlebar plastics. I made the radio case from sheet aluminum and pop rivets.

See this site for photos of the electronics shelf.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/burgmanAN650/
See FILES section, Folder AM-FM-MP3-CB

I have additional cables running from the handlebar back to the Baehr Intercom for connecting the FM Radio, and CB plus future expansion for a GPS, radar detector and cellphone. Cables and connectors available from:
DIN Audio Connectors
http://www.action-electronics.com/ppdin.htm#Minicable
Shielded 6 wire cable
http://www.action-electronics.com/cabl-prc.htm#Shielded
Audio Isolation Transformers ( 600 ohm primary to 600 ohm secondary is recommended required for CB audio into intercom)
http://www.action-electronics.com/audxfrmr.htm
Panel Switches
http://www.action-electronics.com/switches.htm#Guard
Relays
http://www.action-electronics.com/nterelay.htm

BTW) See Intercom section for my review of the Baehr Ultima intercom. It is FLAWLESS and exceeds my expectations in every way.

Fred

·
Registered
498 Posts
Lucey and Lucey,

It seems luck is on your side - people can reply afterall! Just factor in two weeks and you'll be ok next time you need input. :wink:
I hope that everything becomes magically clear and that you have endless days of joy chatting over your new intercom.

Lycheed

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mike,

I suggest wiring up your Baehr Basic Plus using temporary cables to make sure it works the way you expect.... Get a cigar lighter plug from Radio Shack and temporarily plug the intercom into your accessory outlet, then plug in your music device and go out on a test ride with a passenger at highway speeds.

I think your model intercom converts stereo music into MONO ! You also may not like how wind noise mutes the music device when intercom is active and travelling at highway speeds.

IF everything works as you expect, only then go through all the work of a final installation. There are a lot of nasty surprises when it comes to motorcycle intercoms.

Fred

·
Registered
394 Posts
MikeLucey said:
...how would one tap bike power in that location? There are bundles of wires running through the air filter area just in front of the underseat area, but I see no way to determine which wires can safely be tapped, since I have no maintenance manual for the bike. I supose dipping into tail light wires would be a workable idea...
This past Sunday, I mounted a JMCB-2003 on my AN650 and tapped switched power going to the tail light from under the seat. Specifically, under the trunk box cover (the black plastic piece the battery sits on top of). Branching out from the main wiring bundle on the kickstand side of the scoot is a four wire connection going to the right tail light. The brown wire is the positive light lead, so I tap that and grounded to the frame for the negative. This setup allows me to power the CB/intercom unit when the bike is on or when the ignition switch is in tail light on mode.

Obviously, this is only one of a thousand ways to tap power in the Burgman. Hope you find it helpful.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks to all who replied.

Fred, I did use a temporary hookup to the 'cigarette lighter' adapter for a test. Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, I have such a tin ear that mono or stereo doesn't make much difference to me. All I really want is clear communication with my passenger or (more often) with my gal on her bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey you ole fart!!
One old dog to another...remember splitting a pork chop??

" guess who?"....
ps..
glad to find out your still alive! :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
He is as likely to remember the pork chop than he is the 2 year old post he made here! :lol:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Would a Bluetooth device work here? no plugin requried. I have no knowledge of a device but they may be available. It would be a great solution. Come on all you Edisons ! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts