Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to become a newbie in the Burgman 2-wheel cycles. But I have a dilema in deciding between a 2003 & 2004. Dealer is quoting me about 1500 less for the 2003...only difference I see is the final drive - 03' has GEAR; '04 has SHAFT. Can anyone school me on the difference of these specs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Burgman 650 gear driven final drive 100% 2003, as far as I know same 2004

Burgman 400 delt drive

Greg ...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I was told that the only difference between '03 & '04 was color choice. But I just went to the Suzukicycles.com Web site, and under "Specs" it does say "Shaft Driven" for the '04.

If that's true I'm going to be royally peeved. I would have waited on my purchase if I'd known about that.

Can anyone out there set us straight on this?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
As far as I know there was only a few minor changes from the 2003 to 2004 models. Nothing in the drive train changed.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Greg said:
Suzuki global site ...Under specifications...shows final drive ratio via 4 gear to the rear drive...
Yeah, but I didn't see anything on the page that says what model year they're showing.

I wish the Executive had been available in the US this year. I would have more than happily paid a premium for ABS, electric mirrors, and that cushy passenger back rest..

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Brian said:
I would have more than happily paid a premium for ABS, electric mirrors, and that cushy passenger back rest..
The ABS is the main reason I want an Executive. The option of heated grips is another selling point too.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The final drive did not change on the '04. It is identical to that of the '03. Suzuki literature also refered to "shaft drive" on the '03 - incorrectly. Both are gear driven.

The only changes are that the blue color was dropped and black was added. Also a small block of plastic was affixed to the lower legshield to divert rain spray from the kickstand. You can buy this separately for about $3.

For a $1500 difference, I'd probably buy the '03.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You have been schooled. Now BUY!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just bought a 04 burgman 400, I was wondering about
the final drive myself. Looked at a few different Suzuki website,
Looking under specs, belt, gear, and shaft and I was totally lost?
So, I took it apart to see what is hiding behind that black cover.
And the answer is....... belt/gear drive. There is a belt in there
but it is connected to a pulley and the pulley is connected to some
gears which drives the rear wheel, there is also 200ml of oil
in there. Since I am at it, I changed that oil too. It was pretty dirty,
only 800kms on it.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
philtag6000 said:
Just bought a 04 burgman 400...It was pretty dirty,
only 800kms on it.
Changing all the fluids is part of your first service (600mi./1000km.). All the manufacturing oils, debris, abraded metal, etc. can gunk up the oil pretty quick.

Your next check will be much farther out, and the oil will still not look as bad as that first batch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts