Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have been reading the boards here for a few weeks. My name is Johnny, I live in New Jersey and have just completed the Motorcycle Safety Course and will be getting my license endorsement this week. I am about to start shopping for a first bike and am vewry interested in some feedback on the Burmans.

I am 6' 225lbs, and will be driving both street and some highway. My wife also informs me that she will be on the back of the bike quite often.

I was considering the 400, but perhaps the 650 is the way to go.

Please give me some input...
(or should I be asking in the Newbie section?)

JD

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Hi, Johnny.

I am 6'0", 235 lbs. I find the 400 is plenty for me on my own; that is, it will go as fast as I have the nerve to go and has ample passing juice up to 60-65 mph or so. Others claim they have taken the 400 up over 90 mph.

My wife has ridden on the back just once (she has her own 400), and on that occasion I did not notice any need for more power -- but I was driving carefully, so to speak, so I didn't really press the power matter. In Italy I have seen 400s working two-up at high speeds, although with slimmer riders than I am.

I would think that if you plan to ride two-up a lot, and if your wife isn't an exceptionally tiny type, you might want to consider the 650 just to be on the safe side. But if you will be riding at moderate speeds and not in exceptionally steep country the 400 is a viable option.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Johnny,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. You could potentially be happy with either machine. I am the same weight, but 6" taller, and the 650 fit me a lot better. Try to find both of them at a dealership and sit on them - it somewhat depends on how long legged you are for your height. Turn the handlebars full left & right on the 400 and see if they contact your legs - that was an issue for me.

I'm also an experienced motorcycle rider, so I wanted the extra performance of the 650. But a 400cc is just about ideal for a first bike.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
I am 6' 225lbs, and will be driving both street and some highway. My wife also informs me that she will be on the back of the bike quite often.
Johnny,

The 400 should be fine for street and some highway. For a single rider, my 400 does great on the interstate. ILast week I took mine up to 95 MPH (indicated). I've not had a passenger on the Burgman yet. If you plan on doing 2 up interstate driving or touring, you might consider the 650.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone!

I will definitely try both for fit this weekend at one of my local dealers.

Paul, being an experienced rider, do you prefer the scooter to a conventional motorcycle (obviously my other option)?

JD

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
Paul, being an experienced rider, do you prefer the scooter to a conventional motorcycle (obviously my other option)?
I've had my V-Strom for 16 months and have put 6,300 miles on it.

I've had my Burgman for 10 months and have put 9,300 miles on it.

I ride the scooter more frequently. It's fun, it is a handier vehicle, and it is more relaxing to ride.

The motorcycle, with its bigger wheels, rides better on rough roads. My 1000cc V-Strom has almost twice the horsepower of the scooter, and sometimes I enjoy the rush. It isn't what I'd recommend for a beginner - but Suzuki also makes a 650cc V-Strom now that is very popular and it has gotten great reviews.

My current preference is to own both. They are very different to ride, and I like that for variety. If I had to do with one or the other, I'd probably keep the Burgman.

You might want to look at the "baby Strom" while you are shopping. If you did decide to go with a motorcycle, it would be one good choice.

I would say that you wouldn't be disappointed with a Burgman 400, a Burgman 650, or a V-Strom 650. They are all excellent machines. But I think I'd recommend starting out with a Burgman. I think you'd ride it more. You could always pick up a slightly used motorcycle later on for variety.

We do have other experienced motorcycle riders in the forum who have switched to a Burgman, and like it better. And there are a couple of other "fence sitters" like me that kept their motorcycle too. No one machine does it ALL the best. Good luck making up your mind. The important thing is to buy something - and get out there and ride! I am sure you'll make the best decision for you.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Johnny and welcome to the forum. Good luck in your search for a new ride.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey Johnny, welcome to the Forum! I've been riding bikes for over 30 years and have owned a variety and enjoyed them all. I recently traded my '00 Shadow 1100 for a '04 650 Burgman and I love it. It's the most fun I've had on 2 wheels in a long time. It does everything I need a bike to do and is an "easy" ride because of the auto transmission. I don't miss shifting gears one bit. :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
I am about to start shopping for a first bike and am vewry interested in some feedback on the Burmans.

I was considering the 400, but perhaps the 650 is the way to go.
Greetings Johnny (I see you signed "JD" but we already have a JD so I'll use your user name as others have).

I've ridden scooters and motorcycles for 20+ years. Back when my state gave licenses for different classes of bikes I was endorsed for all motorcycles, and I've ridden everything from Honda Trail 50s to 1800cc Goldwings. When it was time to buy a bike again, I got the Burgman 650.

I'm 6'5" and 225 pounds, and most of my height is in my legs (36" inseam). Even the 650 is a bit tight for me, so I've removed the backrest until I get a custom seat. The 400 (and the Honda Silverwing that I also looked at) was just a tad too small.

If you're going to be riding 2-up on the highway with any regularity, I'd definitely suggest the 650 for someone of your stature. But of course, since I own one I'm biased.

I agree that you should sit on both at your dealer, and ideally have your "significant other" sit behind you at the same time. Really get a feel for both. (A test ride would be great, but few dealers have test Burgmans available.) That should help you to pick what's best for you.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I will be hitting the dealerships this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again, Thanks!

Johnny 8)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to Burgman USA!! Good luck on your purchase. I believe you will be satisfied no matter which Burg you buy. 8)

JD

·
Registered
196 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
Hi!

I live in New Jersey and have just completed the Motorcycle Safety Course and will be getting my license endorsement this week.

JD

welcome, and good luck riding your Burgman JohnnyDeath :angel12:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi JD--welcome from across the river! :)
Everyone's given you great advice. If you're looking for a great dealer, have you checked out Burger's Motorcycles in Three Bridges? On 202 near Flemington. They're a family-run business, provide great service and offer fair deals. (They stock Hondas and Suzukis, regular bikes and scoots.)

And no, I don't work for them! :D

Congratulations on your MSF course and endorsement. We just got ours in PA. Good feeling, huh? 8)

Cheers,

Bryna

1 - 15 of 15 Posts