Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My first post, so go easy!
I'm looking to buy a Burgman 125cc. I'm in the UK and only have my CBT, so 125cc is the limit.
I've been riding for a year on a Piaggio MP3 (125cc, not a car one) and it's recently been hit with all manner of problems, so it's going. I was totally ripped off by the private seller, but too late (and naive) to any anything about it. Now I want something more traditional.

The Burgman was a bike which I was most interested in even before the MP3 and I wish I followed my heart on that one. But now I'm back looking for a bike and I don't want to be stung again.

I took my MP3 in for an MOT and the garage said it had the dreaded 'steering notch' (amongst other issues which would fail the MOT). It is a common fault on the entire range and, although the part is simple enough, the labour getting to it makes it a very expensive fix.
I don't want to be stung again and when I go to view and maybe buy the bike, I'd like to know what I am looking for. If there's anything like that notch, or a specific part which I should check out.
My mechanical skills are non-existent and I just want a good, reliable bike to get me to work and back on 40ish MPH roads.

So if anyone can offer some advice then I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What is this 'steering notch' you mention? What does it do to the operation of the scooter?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
What is this 'steering notch' you mention? What does it do to the operation of the scooter?
When you turn the steering it will clunk in one position. It means that the steering headstock bearings need renewing. It's not good to ride a bike in this condition. It involves removing the top and bottom yokes, but it's not a job for the incompetent.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I think the best 125 available in the UK is the Honda S-Wing.
It is expensive but superb.

Have a look on http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk where a lot of maxi riders hang out. Somebody might have exactly what you want for sale or know where you can find one with a known history.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts