Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though it is the season, I'm not trying to be Scroogelike. That said, perhaps we should eliminate post counts.

I've noticed more and more that many posters are responding to a legitimate post with absolutely nothing to do with the original post.

Are the replies to get their numbers up or to merely see their names in print?

I have been a member since i bought my 650 and I try to give worthwhile replies.

Not:

1. me too
2. I agree
3. Wouldn't happen if you had a 400

Posting is fun but shouldn't be inane

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Eddie,

The 'post counts' are built into the forum software itself. While it is possible to modify the forum software to remove them, I don't feel it's either necessary or a worthwile investment of Bryan's time. It's just one more modification you have to worry about with a major update of the forum software.

About the only time I really pay attention to the post count is to verify that poster is a 'brand new' forum member so I can say "Hiya".

As to the short posts, some people (myself included) are often not verbose. There are times we just want to agree with a post without typing a novel. One other thing that happens is that as people become more confortable with an online community, playful banter becomes a normal part of the conversation. For me, it keeps the forums from becoming a 'dry textbook' of pure information. I do realize that at the same time it requires more effort to keep up on all the posts (I read every post made of the forums). But in my humble opinion, it is well worth it to keep the forums entertaining.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
I've noticed more and more that many posters are responding to a legitimate post with absolutely nothing to do with the original post.
Conversations drift in real life - and in most internet forums. This is more than just a technical database, it is an association of Burgman owners.

Edwljoseph said:
Are the replies to get their numbers up or to merely see their names in print?
I don't think that is the case.

Edwljoseph said:
1. me too
2. I agree
3. Wouldn't happen if you had a 400
Agreement is valid. No reason to restate or reword what the original person stated if you just wish to show support. There will also always be a certain amount of interplay between owners of the different models. Everyone made their choice for a reason - and some folks just like to tease. I see no harm in that.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
billmeek said:
About the only time I really pay attention to the post count is to verify that poster is a 'brand new' forum member so I can say "Hiya".
I agree.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Uh-huh!

Johnny

·
Registered
969 Posts
Got it!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
eddie, how that a number posters poked fun at your suggestion, I would like to say thanks for your constructive suggestion/comment to help the site.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To reply.

I'm am not a stick in the mud or overly serious. I enjoy this forum and even enjoy Norman's posts. lol. However, i don't enjoy reading a post on a subject then right in the middle the post is hijacked. Yes it is fun to digress but when the post is hijacked, I view the hijacker as rude.

This is a great forum nd generally I wouldn't want it to change.

Just a little constructive thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
To reply.

I'm am not a stick in the mud or overly serious. I enjoy this forum and even enjoy Norman's posts. lol. However, i don't enjoy reading a post on a subject then right in the middle the post is hijacked. Yes it is fun to digress but when the post is hijacked, I view the hijacker as rude.

This is a great forum nd generally I wouldn't want it to change.

Just a little constructive thoughts.
I'm quite sure most people have a distaste for hijacked threads. It has been addressed from time to time as people go adrift from topic.

Post count tends to represent the participation level of the individual posting. Even if it does consist of one or few words it does count as a post.

I see that a few members of the forum have added short comments since my "I agree" above. I think it represents the family like atmosphere we have here, poking fun or giving a few "jabs" at each other every now and then.

I think this post has fullfilled its purpose, thus I am going to lock it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.