Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cut off the "wings" from the stock windscreen?
Did it help any? I am thinking, it might reduce turbulence. Not looking forward to dropping $200 on another piece of plastic at the moment :|

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I ride a 650 and had a spare tall Givi screen with one ear broken off in a crash.

First I cut off the top 3 inches without any improvement, then I cut 2 3-inch diameter holes at the bottom of the screen, below the top of the dash, and it decreased the buffeting tremendously, to the point that theres zero turbulence at high speeds if I look through the top of the screen.

The drag has been reduced significantly too, and maintaining 80 mph is much easier than before, as well as the directional stability at that speed.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
ErikDK -- Do you think that the addition of a vent in the windscreen would do the same as the holes???

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have a much larger opening area in my screen because there aren't any vents blocking the openings.

Vents are generally installed much higher, more than 4 inches above the dash.

I still don't have the courage to take the hole-saw to the undamaged Givi screen.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
when I bought my second 400 I cut off those funky mouse ears on the top while waiting for my givi to come in, it did help, i wasn't real artisistic about it and that shield is long gone so I can't show you what I did

·
Registered
338 Posts
There is no or little help in the windshield area of modern maxi scooters----as all have basic design problem...YOUR NOSE IS TOO FAR FROM TIP SHIELD! Having spent a lot of money on....2 Burgman 400's for Givi Adjustable/Givi tall/Laminar ears on stock/7 Jurock shield/Laminar Lip/ MRI Spoiler-----and have spent windshield money on 4 Helix/Reflex/TMAX/Silverwing------for my present Burgman 400 7 Jurock provides best look over/quality and is decent to 60 mph. I prefer 3/4 open helmet (lightest possible because of neck injury...deer in Switzerland) safety glasses and use/hate foam ear plugs .....Long fast trips require helmet with face shield for any degree of comfort. AND still with 7 Jurock, the inner elbows/top of shoulders not well protected from wind/air, etc.

My base line for comparison is Heinrich, upper and lower equipped BMW=calm, pleasant air in all weathers or more modern Honda NT700V left stock/look over shield....but feet get wet.

For Burgman 400 another possibility is to cut stock shield to "sports shield" height----might calm the air down some, but surely not too pleasant in rain/snow/sleet.

Strange Vespa's with right height windshield can provide buffet free ride----the nose close to tip of shield thing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last week, while being bored from rain, I took apart the front end.
Wow, tightening the 6 rubber nuts helped a lot, to get rid of the wobbling and pounding of the windscreen.
Also using larger washers helped too. :)

But I might still cut off the "wings" now that I see how easy it is to remove the windscreen.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
john grinsel said:
There is no or little help in the windshield area of modern maxi scooters----as all have basic design problem...YOUR NOSE IS TOO FAR FROM TIP SHIELD! .....
I agree. Look at the after-market screens for sport tourers like Yamaha FJR's, some of them sweep back a long way to meet the rider's face in the upright position achieved by handle bar risers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts