Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to work last week. Left at 7am. Not very hot outside. Go about 80 on the interstate for a couple of minutes, no problem. 8 hours later in going home. Same distance same speed and my baby stays to decelerate quickly and I coast off. I pull off, I hear the fan going. The temp Guage shows normal as always. I sit for a couple of min turn the bike right back on and do the speed limit of 35-50 the rest of the way home. Couple days later same thing happened on the way to work so coming home from work I took service streets the whole way with no issue. My commute is like 12 miles each way. And since data when it's really hot out and after being on the interstate when I get home I sit the bike of and the fan is still going I assume that is normal. No idea what's going on. Nothing is showing me that I'm overheating I don't see any leaks of fluid out hear funny noises and no indication of any problems.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Fan as only come on on mine twice in 19000 miles, so not normal for it to be running
every time you stop.
Is the coolant topped up radiator not full of mud and so
on on the outside that is, other than that is the thermostat ok but it's strange
then gauge is showing normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I thought the fan coming in is normal just because it's like 108 here in Phoenix. Should I just try and add more coolant to the over flow tank first?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ok, this sounds like you have a coolant/thermostat issue. It may be your have an airlock in the cooling system, or the thermostat is sticking on some occasions and/or not fully opening. First thing to check is the coolant level in the overflow bottle. Make sure it's at the full mark when cold. Because the overflow bottle is full, it doesn't always mean the radiator is full to the correct level, so that is something else to check if you find the overflow bottle is full. Take off the top front panel to get to the radiator cap. If all those things are ok then it could well be the thermostat. This will need to be removed and tested as per the workshop manual or just replace it. They are cheap enough and quite easy to do. Even in very hot conditions the fan rarely comes on unless I'm in a huge traffic cue. Today it's 32c here in the uk but no fan even in slow moving traffic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so I just put in coolant from the overflow tank. Not a lot went in. I revved the engine for a couple of min and after I shut the bike off I saw coolant on the ground. Also to note that while I was revving the engine I watched the thermostat. Stayed in the middle the whole time. After I shut the engine off however the gauge moved up about a quarter and the fan was on. But when I turn the engine back on the thermostat went back to normal. Then turned it off again and it went back up with the fan on.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
I'm not so sure you have a cooling problem. If the tempo gauge is staying in the normal range when you are riding the bike it sounds like to me that your cooling system is working just as it is suppose to.

As for the comments about the fan not coming on, those are from folks that are riding in cooler temps than we here in the southwest USA experience. It's not unusual at all for the fan to come on when I come to a stop on either my 650 or my 400 when I am riding in the 100 to 110 degree F summer temps we have. When the bike is moving with a little speed the fan is off but when moving slowly or idling the fan will kick on.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Buffalo, you are likely right! I'd misread the original post and it might not be overheating. MD, I'd hook up the dealer diagnostic mode and look for a fault code. The plug to do that is under the dash panel on the right of the bike. That's the panel just behind the bars and in front of the instrument binnacle. The wiring plug is white and you can use a paperclip to connect the terminals which will show a code. There is another post on here in the Burgman 400 Knowledge base showing how it's done. It lists the error codes also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if you don't think its over heating do you guys have any ideas as to why if I'm on the interstate I the bike just decelerates from 80 to like 10?

·
Registered
405 Posts
O 2 sensor and cat maybe. Need codes though. Manfunction may be causing overheating and shutdown mode. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
If you are not getting an FI indicator light then putting the ECM in dealer mode is not going to tell you anything. It's possible that there are some codes being stored in the ECM but you will need a dealer or someone with the proper reader to be able to extract them. Just putting it in dealer mode won't do it if you are not getting an FI indication.

Past that the problem causing the sudden slow downs is going to be tricky to diagnose. If I read your post correctly you are saying that the slow downs have not occurred since those first couple of times. That will make it even harder to diagnose if there are no faults stored in the ECM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the two times that it has happened I was on the interstate. So I've stayed off the interstate to avoid this issue. I can use service streets with no issues. I don't particularly want to go back on the interstate just so I can get it to do it again.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
md, it could be many things. The coolant that came out of the system after you topped up indicates the level was ok so probably not a cooling thing. I am tending to think it may be a fuelling problem and you are getting fuel evap at high speed in high heat. It happens more with a weak fuel pump. But an afterthought. Have the valve clearances been checked? How many miles has she done? Running at high speed can cause a problem with tight valve/s if the clearance is wrong but it can be ok at lower speeds. Usually, it's exhaust valves that go tight and this isn't noticed by the owner until too late. There are few symptom to start with but can cause quite sudden power loss running at speed. I have a reader to check the ecu codes but if you don't I'd still get that checked for fault codes.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You have checked the engine oil?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The problem is either with you fan relay switch or the thermostat. I will start to troubleshoot the thermostat 1st.
Easy fix, don't worry and good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts