Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been thinking about organizing a weekend scooter gathering (not an official rally) around the Petersburg WV area next summer (2014). I chose Petersburg since it is in a good location for "base camp" and there is the option of camping or a few local mom/pop hotels. Several restaurants from Pizza Hut - McDonalds - Arby's - and several local diners. Also, since my grandparents' old farm is there, I've travelled these roads to be pretty familiar with most.

Unfortunately, our farm is not easily accessible by scooter due to a steep gravel road and creek crossing (usually 12" deep at least) or I would offer to have camping there. There is, however, a big church next door with a large covered pavilion and room to camp. I could ask them about getting permission (with a nominal fee for each person). I don't think they have shower facilities at the pavilion, but probably an outside spigot with water for drinking / washing up.

Basically, it would be gathering Friday evening then doing an all-day ride Saturday to Seneca Rocks / Spruce Knob / Germany Valley / Green Bank / Cass / Monterey VA and back. Sunday morning ride would go thru Smoke Hole Road then up to the Greenland Gap and Blackwater Falls area. Of course, these are just ideas at this time.

Ideally, it would be nice to have between 10 and 30 scooters. Any larger than that and it may get to be a bit unwieldy.

Would there be enough interest in this to dig deeper into the planning stages? Please chime in and let me know. Any feedback (good or not) would be appreciated. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
BurgPnoMan, we both ride and try to join a US based Rally once a year so yes, we'd be interested depending on the timing. Later than Labour Day weekend is tough for us due to our work schedules. ~ Bugjr ~

·
Registered
515 Posts
+1 Once I hit age 50, my definition of camping changed to ....any hotel that does not have room service! :D
Yep that 's about how I feel.

I was a Cub Scout, a Boy Scout and an Explorer Scout, then 7 years in the Army. I think I learned about all there is to know about trying to sleep out doors, pooping in the woods , eating burned or raw food, cold coffee in the rain. Yep that was a lot of fun back then.
Plus Uncle Sam let us play with guns and ammo, sometime really big guns.
It was usually ok until they started shooting back :rolleyes:

I'm like Ricardo Tubbs ( from Miami Vice fame) I hate automatic weapons and mortars, they always mean that the bastiches are real close. :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm interested and would like to hear more about your dates & plans.

I attended a small maxi-scoot rally on the Eastern Shore where the organizer had made arrangements with the church ladies to provide us with a nice mid-ride lunch at the church hall. It was inexpensive for us as well as some income for the church.

If you're considering "camping" or Rally HQ on church grounds maybe they might consider doing an outside Chicken BBQ for the group as a money maker for them.

That said, I do appreciate a cigar and beer or two along with something like that. So if it's gonna be one of those 'devil alcohol, devil tobacco' fundamentalist type churches, then fugetaboudit.

Tim

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am interested in attending and would rather have a motel to a campground.
Weekend or weekday dates are not a problem as I am retired.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

I haven't forgot about this - just very busy with 2 jobs and buying a house. Looks like there might be enough interest to start planning a weekend get-together next summer. I will check with the church folk sometime after all this NYC bike-gang stuff cools off. Some of the older folks might not feel comfortable with a bunch of rowdy scooter-bikers showing up in their back yard after watching the news the past week. :eek:

Will keep you updated. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would be very interested in attending, that is if Gold Wings and dogs are allowed. I never leave home without my devoted pillion buddy, Pugsley. I may even be on a new Burgman by then!!!!:toothy9:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep us posted

I will check into this in the spring. Perhaps an early summer (May/June) timeframe. Will try to PM everyone who responded. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts