Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you get a PM or Email from a member on here that has their name in the subject line and in the MESSAGE line "One of the best lessons from Oprah here" with a HOT LINK, DO NOT OPEN THAT LINK!!!!

I have, in two days, gotten 2 ea from a friend on here that has my email address. My email address is listed on here but I have sent and received emails from this person in the past so his/her address book may be compromised. The "Sent to" list is very long on these emails.

If you get one from me at [email protected] do not open it. I put xxxx in to stop autobots.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Curious who here would actually want to open a link with such a heading as "One of the best lessons from Oprah here."

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious who here would actually want to open a link with such a heading as "One of the best lessons from Oprah here."
I did not and would not. But there was a test done a few years back where a spoof web page was made and the test sent 100 friends a fake email with a hot link. Over 75 friends opened the link to see what their friend wanted them to see. Thats 75% that did open it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
As a computer tech and IT person all I can say is be very careful with pictures, attachments and emails from people you don't know.

If in doubt, X out of it.

Never, ever download anything free to supposedly help your computer such as speeding it up, optimizing the registry, speedy defrag, extra online security, free games, free recipes, etc etc.

Back-up anything you'd be afraid to lose because there are malwares that are called: "Ransomwares" that will absolutely lock up any file on your computer! If you pay a ransom of between $300 and $500 dollars, these hacker companies will send you a key# that at least in one case works to restore your data but in another case does nothing at all but take the ransom money from you.

OKRA who?

Sam:)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I got the Oprah email a few days ago or so , I never open any thing unless I'm sure .

TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the Oprah email a few days ago or so , I never open any thing unless I'm sure .

TheReaper!
Did you get it from a member on here or from a address book from a friend?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Did you get it from a member on here or from a address book from a friend?
I just checked my delete file and it was sill there , the sender was a
Re: byron dodd .

Also sent to the following .

65sprd hxwy5796pgtx<[email protected]>;jsrose56<[email protected]>;jdphillips<[email protected]>;canyon hwd5897ra<[email protected]>;2100097320 332085 504<[email protected]>;tnyahoo<[email protected]>;holden<[email protected]>;contest<[email protected]>;bdbenterprises<[email protected]>;mlcclark<[email protected]>;cntryclsscrs<[email protected]>;kliotti<[email protected]>;VONFRANKLN<[email protected]>;greerstreetrimming<[email protected]>;brad211<[email protected]>;moreinfo<[email protected]>;drstevenhaight<[email protected]>;1961CHEVROLETFORSALE<[email protected]>;sto69d<[email protected]>;djfiveash[email protected];

Does that help ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I get spam all the time with friends email addresses. their account(s) we hacked.. I even get email from myself.. the trick is to look at the return address. In some programs you may have to select the senders address.... then you'll see the spammed address. I get junk like that from UPS, USPS, about a "delivery they are holding".. and today got one from "Chase Bank".. never click on those .. your machine will be turned into just one more "bot" on the internet.. sending all your friends email about some great deal you found..

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the email from the finance minister from Nigeria that wants to send me 20 million dollars, to be deposited in my Bank, but he wants half when he gets to the States and just a PROCESSING FEE from me, up front to get the ball rolling:D

You would be amazed at the scams my customer's fall for, like the FBI, Department of Justice and fake Microsoft scams where a phone call alerts the person to a computer just filled with Malware and as a service, it will all be cleaned up by Microsoft for the small fee of $79 but MS needs to remotely login to the computer to fix it. This scam has fooled a lot of folks.:rolleyes:

Sam:):cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Last year I had a bunch of East Indians (judging by the accent) who kept calling me and saying they work for "Windows Operating System." ... Oh really?! An operating system has it's own employees now? :lol:

I work in IT Help Desk, so I dragged them along for a while, then started hitting them back with questions they couldn't answer. They finally quit calling. ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am a pastor and once a desperate lady came to me and told me her fiancé was in a hospital in Florida and would not be let go until his bill was paid and asked if the church could help him. I did not know she was engaged and she said he was a missionary who was stuck in Africa for a year before she could help him fly to Florida but was found to be very sick upon his arrival to Florida and needed medical attention but did not have enough money. They were to marry after he got out. I found she had never met him and sent money through Western Union - about 500-1000 a month over a year and a half. She was three months behind on her mortgage. You can imagine how hard it was to tell her he was fake - the hospital she told he was in didn't even exist. After we knew she had accepted this was all a scam we helped her get back on her feet but that was a traumatic experience for her.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The point is these scams can be very profitable especially for people in the third world countries. Just really heartless.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
I got one of those emails today supposedly from a friend that is a member on this board but who post infrequently. It had the "One of the best lessons from Oprah here" HOT LINK in it. I checked the header and it was actually from [email protected]. Needless to say I did not open the link.

A Google search for that email address indicates it is some kind of online marketing operation out of Vietnam.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
many people are vulnerable to having their PC hijacked without their knowledge this includes forum members, friends, non friends and you and I.

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The first one was from .Br and the second one was .Cr so Brazil and Croatia?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I don't know why I didn't think of it years ago--anyway, I just added a rule to automatically send anything with the word Oprah in it, anywhere, to the trash...

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know why I didn't think of it years ago--anyway, I just added a rule to automatically send anything with the word Oprah in it, anywhere, to the trash...
Yepper. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts