Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2008 red 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow scooterist.
I want to start a quest, I have a sluggish starter after about three seconds of attempting to start. Usually enough, fires right up . Battery is new but now it’s doing the same as old one three months ago. Everything checks out ok. So I think it’s a bad ground or a bad starter. I want to start tracing down all the ground points.
Suggestions are welcome.

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,202 Posts
Try a ground to starter direct to battery.
The main ground wire from battery goes directly to starter mounting bolt, there is no other "Ground points" on the scooter, all components on scooter ground directly to battery thru smaller wire connector and common ground wire in harness, need to check leads contact areas are clean, etc. Also check battery with a load tester or proper minimum resting voltage of 12.5V +.

· Premium Member
9,801 Posts
my nickle is on battery,not gettin charged or gettin drained, like an under seat light put it on a trickle charger at night, can't hurt, and if the problem changes, bobs yer mechanic

· Registered
2008 red 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, no other way to get to that ground except by taking it all apart , right ? Battery checks out good. It’s getting 14 v while running No clicking just slow or sluggish. Looks like I’m going digging. Lol

· Registered
2008 red 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve had it on trickle charger couple days, just keeps draining it before it can start.
im not opposed to trying another more substantial battery. I’ve got a cheapie in it now.
Chrome Battery YTX9-BS

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,202 Posts
Ok, no other way to get to that ground except by taking it all apart , right ? Battery checks out good. It’s getting 14 v while running No clicking just slow or sluggish. Looks like I’m going digging. Lol
Yes, you will have to remove air box, etc., to check starter wires connections. Voltage while running over 2k rpms (on center-stand) with high beam on and "Front" brake applied should be at or better than 14v. Battery resting voltage over 12.5V and over 11.0 while cranking is what you want. BTW, if your battery is weak, your running/charging volts will be low.

I’ve still got to try a jump start. Maybe if it takes off easy I’ll try another battery. 🤷
Only jump start from a non-running vehicle, very $$$ damage to charging system is possible o_O

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
On the 650 there are three connectors UNDER the battery tray, 2 RED and 1 BLACK. Mine were corrored and had slow start.

I think a 400 has two, 1 RED and 1 BLACK.

· Registered
2008 red 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys ! When I get this problem solved I will report back. May be a while though I’ve got a lot going on . But I will use all that information 👍

· Registered
2008 red 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone, I cleaned the battery terminals and post with brass wire wheel on dremel . I Put in a new spark plug ,Hooked it back up. Problem still there, I get about ten seconds of crank before the battery dies and that’s after after being on the battery tender and getting the green charged light. Not to forget it’s a new battery. Voltage at the starter relay is strong. I could not get it started and thought I had fried something while jumping, took off air filter ( filthy ) new one coming. Shot a spray of starter fluid in air cleaner and it started. Ran fine, checked voltages getting 14.35 resting over 12 v . Rode it 6 miles turned it off and same ole problem.
I’m still thinking maybe the ground to starter. Even When jumping it seems like it’s still not getting enough juice. Starter is slow or sluggish.
Ok that’s the update , still have to get down to starter and check ground. I’m also thinking maybe checking valve clearance.
Thanks for all your input 👍

· Administrator
18,251 Posts
The starter ground, HEAVY BLACK with WHITE stripe, must be attached to the block near the starter. It does NOT matter if its bolted through a bracket as long as the bolt and cables are not corroded and the bolt is in the block. It should never be bolted to a bracket alone.

What is the voltage at the starter's relay, both sides while cranking? Any voltage drop different that at battery.

What is the voltage at the starter's lug while cranking?

On the AN400 I think there are 2 connectors UNDER the battery tray, a RED and a BLACK. They are not weather sealed and can corrode. A true AN400 member will have to answer this one, I know where they are (3 each) on most AN650's.

· Registered
2008 red 400
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys, got a chance to work on it today ( man those body panels ) lol. Broke a few clips but I guessing that’s normal. Was as careful as I could be.
cleaned all the connections I came across got down to starter , wire brushed and dremel brass wire brush all the starter connections. Nice & shiny . Put together tried to start. Nope
tried checking the spark again and it seemed weak. was putting plug back in and the wire came out of the plug connector. Next step, new plug wire.
it did seem to help A little cleaning the connections, battery lasted a little longer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts