Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has started to ride with me on evening Jaunts but complains about the hard ride she receives from the back seat.
"What is it about the horrible,short, dead suspension that comes built into every 650". We are not large people 210 & 165, i've adjusted the preloads and its just a stiffer bump. There has got to be some kind of fix for it. I ride here in alaska and cracks and potholes abound here, even 1" more of travel would be a blessing, do air ride shocks help to fend off the the bumps any better. We love our weekend and evening rides with the midnight sun, but it takes its toll on my wife, I don't know how much longer she'll take it, then the ride just wouldn't be the same, I don't care what it takes,
seat , suspension, tires, ect. I don't want to loose my best friend's company, so if there's any insight into how to help, i'm all ears.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Seat confort or unconfort different for everyone, find 2009 seat confortable for driver and passenger, other person perhaps not find so.

Try ROHO AirHawk or bead seat for help.

Some person bottom adapt less than other, perhap take longer for confort.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put icons on my old 09 but found them to be a bit harsh if by myself. I think standard springs with a better dampening
shock might be best.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see the ma 01223 is specified. I wonder how much they go for....?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
£511 / pr equal roughly $807.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As has also been posted, a decent car tire out back would close the distance between "suspension sucks" and "comfortable" for your rides. For real. It benefits the passenger the most especially when there is one aboard.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Considering it's role (2up maxi-scoot) and natural habitat (urban roads), the limited suspension of the Big Burg is pretty surprising. Mine was just about clapped out when I snagged a cheap 2003, so I went the route of upgrading the fork springs (worth it) along with Racetech gold valve emulators (better, but not strictly necessary). The rears got the Ikon treatment. They were definitely more composed and probably a must-do in your case. The quality control of the clevises wasn't the greatest (burrs, too narrow) so make sure the seller checks this BEFORE shipping. I think they need 20 or 21 mm clearance to fit over the bushings properly.

Overall, it's made the highways enjoyable--it was "wiggly piggly" on the stockers previously, with violent jolts over bigger bumps/potholes. City riding is improved, although the roads in TO are so horrendous (more patch than pavement) that even the upgrades can get flustered.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: "Poor Suspension"

Another alternative if you are looking to do things a bit more cost effective route would be to make a few modifications to the stock front dampers and add some honda air shocks from a cb900 or goldwing off ebay and weld some new clevis on to fit. -> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28244&hilit=+suspension

As for the seat, give Cary Vincent over at burgmanbrothers.com a ring.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have come from having several Goldwings they have a great, a comfortable suspension.

So that is what i did to my an650 Burgman
I put the following,
1. Front suspension; race tech front suspension
2. Rear suspension; Goldwing Rear air shocks
3. Seat done by Cary Vincent

This bike is as comfortable as any of the Goldwings i have or had, Now i would rather ride my 650 than my Goldwing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts