• 3/4 - Sometimes wear it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/2 - Always wear it

• 1/2 - Sometimes wear it

• I never wear a helmet (I won't fall)

• I never wear a helmet (But I know I should)

• Helmet? Yeah right!

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I wear a full face with shield. I cant tell you how many times I've had big bug splats on the shield that would have hit me right between the eyes or in the eyes. I had a buddy who had a Yellow jacket (hornet) get wedged between his cheek and the side of his helmet on his open face helmut. It kept stinging him and he had to pull over and remove his helmut to get it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch!

I have had bugs hit me right between the eyes before... :x When I had my Buell Blast with no windscreen, and a half helmet.

Now I wear a full helmet all the time... much quieter, no tearing eyes.. and no bugs... 8)

Kenny

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Tried a full face helmet & found it acted like a sail. Everytime I turned my head it jerked it around. Had to ride with my head locked forward & that is a great way to die. Only use I have for it is if I am going to carry a passenger. When it is cold I use a 3/4 helmet & a 1/2 helmet otherwise.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I teat rode with a few full face helmets and found they restricted my view to the sides, wind noise was louder, and like "gruntled", it jerked my head. I like the idea for the cold, but it did not work for me. I use a 3/4 helmet with a long face shield in the cold and a visor (with a taller w/s) in the summer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have that problem at all. I like the fact that it is quieter with the full helmet - with the shield down of course.

The primary reason I wear a full is because of something someone told me once, that makes good sense. If you fly off, and go face first, your chin has no protection without a full helmet. I gladly wear a full for the peace of mind (and chin, and jaw)....

Just my 2 cents... 8)

Kenny

·
Registered
84 Posts
I work in a hospital emergency room. Had a fatality come in last week,
cage vs bike. A helmet of any kind would have saved the day. I don't care what you wear but wear something.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Exactly! I am admittedly not the best when it comes to all of the safety gear. I hate boots so I usually wear running shoes. I wear jeans most times, but if I am running down to the "Y" to work out, I wear a T shirt and shorts. Usually, I wear a Tecnics armored jacket, but if its over 95 degrees F, I can't stand it and I don't wear it.

Now the harm I see if I have an accident is a severe abrasion and a broken bone or two. BUT will I ever go without a helmet? No chance. I wear a SNELL rated 3/4, screamin' yellow helmet AT ALL TIMES.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My wife's using a 3/4 face w/shield. My kids and I use a 1/2 face (beanie). Mine has a long face shield. All of them are DOT'd.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I read the first link with a bit of shame. You gotta understand, I have tried a full faced helmet and I hate it. I mean, I really REALLY hate it. I do suffer from closterphobia. I can't be closed into anything, including under a pillow, covers, or a helmet. I have tried it, I just can't do it.

The white helmet is a good suggestion in the second link, but I do one better. I use a bright YELLOW helmet. A dealer close to me also carries the "construction orange" helmet. With that and a bright yellow armored jacket and it seems that everyone sees me. Frankly, when you are dressed up like that, the cage drivers seem to give you a bit of respect as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
bechtoea said:
I read the first link with a bit of shame. You gotta understand, I have tried a full faced helmet and I hate it. I mean, I really REALLY hate it. I do suffer from closterphobia. I can't be closed into anything, including under a pillow, covers, or a helmet. I have tried it, I just can't do it.

The white helmet is a good suggestion in the second link, but I do one better. I use a bright YELLOW helmet. A dealer close to me also carries the "construction orange" helmet. With that and a bright yellow armored jacket and it seems that everyone sees me. Frankly, when you are dressed up like that, the cage drivers seem to give you a bit of respect as well.
1. No need to feel shame. Phobic reactions are beyond voluntary control.

2. Yellow is far moe visible than white. A yellow helmet is a great idea. A yellow bike would be even better. I saw a yellow GW the other day and it stood out from all the traffic.

I think the opportunity to buy a YELLOWBurgman would be an absolute deal-closer for me. I'm more interested in being visible than sedate. :lol:

·
Registered
806 Posts
My father's Reflex is bright yellow. I have seen cars that have plenty of room to pull out start to pull out and skid to a stop in amazement.

Yes, if Suzuki came out with a bright yellow color, I would trade up. Between that color and dressing for safety, I think your chances of "not being seen" would be greatly reduced.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Kenny said:
I'm just curious what type, if any, everyone is using....

Kenny
Kenny, your poll does not account for modular or flip helmets! I wear a modular helmet but I can't partake in your poll because its not listed!! They're not the same as a full-face even though they look like it when its not flipped up!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The best helmet is the one you'll actually wear. Personally I like full face, but for those who'd leave it on the shelf for whatever reason, rational or not, wearing something (DOT or SNELL) is better than bare skull vs anything.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I did not answer the poll because I wear more than 1 kind. Up until yesterday it was a Full Face helmet. My helmet needed to be replaced and I found a good deal on a half helmet so I bought it. I'll be getting another Full Face in November, hopefully the one I want will be available in the stores here then.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I wear a full face because I want the extra protection on the highway. My old full face did make me feel claustrophobic, and it did not have great aerodynamics. It would pull hard on my neck if I turned to look at something and it caught the wind. It was also very noisy.

I now ride with a Nolan modular. With the wide vision opening, I cannot see the sides of the helmet in the corners of my eyes, easing the claustrophobic feelings. I normally ride with shades on, so I flip up the visor when going through towns. I did take a rock thrown by a car in a construction zone this summer. The rock hit the lense on an expensive pair of shades, then bounced around inside my helmet.

As for the aerodynamics, I can look up, down, side to side, even backwards with absolutely no wind pull.

I use to wear a 3/4 and shades. On the way to work one day, I hit a bee or something on one side of my upper lip. The side of my mouth swelled up and contorted. I looked like a cartoon caracter. I worked with the public at the time and couldn't find coverage to go home and hide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Helmets poll

Hi from Aussie

We don't have an option here as helmets are compulsory for motorcyclists (rider and pillion). Most wear full face (except Harley riders).

Me - I would wear them anyway because after 30 plus years permanent service in the NSW Ambulance Service, I hate to think that my head finishes up a mushy pile of crud simply because I was too bloody stupid to accept responsibilty for my own well being.

The weird thing about the local motor regulations is that although helmets are compulsory for motorcyclists, it is illegal to wear a helmet and drive most other types of motor vehicle on public streets - YET all competitors in rallys and track racing events must wear helmets at all times that the competing vehicle is in motion. Government Regulations are mysterious in their ways !

Spiderweb

1 - 20 of 39 Posts